Cowboys to possibly tweak uniforms

slats7

Dear God, please let this be true.

Dallas Cowboys Changing Uniforms?

Of course Jerry Jones would never diddle with the most sacred star in sports, but you might be seeing a tweaked Dallas Cowboys' uniform this season. Why? Hi-Definition TV, that's why.

For years and years and years me and my brother have wondered why the Cowboys' home pants looked - from some angles, in a certain light - green. Ish. Turns out it's because they are. Tex Schramm designed them that unique shade because, on TV, it came across blue-gray-silver.

"When fans go to our home games in person the No. 1 grief we hear about is the green pants," says Cowboys vice president of merchandising Bill Priakos. "Now we're hearing it from fans watching on TV because of HD. It's too realistic."

On old-school TV, Cowboys' green came across silver. On HD TV, Cowboys' green comes across, well, green.

The solution might be a rare, subtle uniform tweak.

"Nothing's set in stone," Priakos says. "But we want the pants to look silver, to be consistent to every fan no matter if they're at the game or watching on TV, whether we're home or on the road. Of course, we'll never change the home white jerseys or the helmets, but we're experimenting with some different shades in the pants."

Thumbs. Up.

It won't be as noticeable as when the Cowboys wore the one red stripe on their helmets in 1976 to commemorate America's Bicentennial or these days when they go white-helmet throwback, but if something looks a little different about the uniforms this season that indeed might be the case.

Turns out even the best, most classic uniform in sports needs a little refreshing from time to time.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/spor...nifor.php#more

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While they're at it, make the blues match up too...

Exactly. If they're going to start tweaking, get everything right at once. Match the silvers. Match the blues. Match the striping.

Hey now, that's just crazy talk. Matching the colors and strips? Baby steps. Can't mess with "tradition" or some other nonsense.

Seriously, I have to actually applaud Jerr-uh on this. He sees that the uniforms' incongruities are actually bothersome and he's trying to remedy it.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I'll bet a lot of you are really sick of me doing this, but I just gotta...

Solid/spot colors:

DallasCowboys_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Textile colors:

DallasCowboys_FRC_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

What Tex Schramm developed for television was the original "Metallic Blue" that was used between 1964 and 1980. Once Pantone colors became en vogue, they used a custom metallic color for the Silver-Blue, and couldn't really match up the colors with the fabrics of the time. And, they started screwing up the colors in 1981 with the Navy and Silver (GRAY) road uniforms.

They really need to get rid of the Royal Blue on the home uniforms as well to be honest. If they're going to specify Navy as the primary color (and use Navy in the helmet), it just looks sloppy to use Royal Blue in the jerseys, pant stripes and socks.

My stance is that they should use Navy (or a standardized Dark Royal) and the Silver-Blue used in the helmets. Done. Period.

Solid/spot colors:

DallasCowboys_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Textile colors:

DallasCowboys_FRC_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

What Tex Schramm developed for television was the original "Metallic Blue" that was used between 1964 and 1980. Once Pantone colors became en vogue, they used a custom metallic color for the Silver-Blue, and couldn't really match up the colors with the fabrics of the time. And, they started screwing up the colors in 1981 with the Navy and Silver (GRAY) road uniforms.

They really need to get rid of the Royal Blue on the home uniforms as well to be honest. If they're going to specify Navy as the primary color (and use Navy in the helmet), it just looks sloppy to use Royal Blue in the jerseys, pant stripes and socks.

My stance is that they should use Navy (or a standardized Dark Royal) and the Silver-Blue used in the helmets. Done. Period.

Yeah, for me, I'd rather see them implement royal blue across the board, to go with the silverblue.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

This has always bugged me, it's about time! It was bad enough that the silver-green pants didn't match the helmets but I can recall some players wearing the grey-silver pants while the rest of the team wore silver-green in a game or two. I wish I had pics of that but I remember it bugged me the whole time.

I'd say they go with (a slightly darker shade of) the royal blue and the alternate/additional silver green from CWx's solid/spot table (to kinda keep a tie to that idisyncratic uniform history as well as preserve a wee bit of uniqueness), find the best/closest pantone/textile/thread colors to those, standardize them across the board, and roll wit' it.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Hate the silver green, so I'd be all for the change. Their sweat stains in those pants are awful in HD, and I wish they'd upgrade the quality of the white jerseys, too. The jerseys become almost grey in heavy sweat, and the numbers look like they almost bleed and give the jerseys a bluish tint, too.

I'd prefer royal blue over navy blue, and I'd be for the Cowboys wearing blue jerseys full-time at home. But I know that's almost heresy to mention, and I don't realistically expect that to happen.

Who's sick of this? I'll moider them. More CWx samples, please.

As far as the 'Boys changing the green pants, I have only one response: Praise Jeebus.

Does anyone know the origin of why the Cowboys have the black trim on the sleeve stripes? That always bugged me WAY more than the greenish pants.

I always thought it was navy trim.

Yeah, we had a thread on that a little while back...the trim is - and I believe - always has been Black, but this claim was disputed. It is certainly shown as Black in all of the style guides back to the early '70s.

Anyone happen to have a screenshot of said "green problem?" I don't really watch football regularly (or to be more accurate, since I don't have a favorite team, I don't really watch/focus on any single team week after week) so I can't remember noticing the pants problem before.

Archived