Cowboys to possibly tweak uniforms

slats7

I think they should pull a Seahawks and come up with a putrid color combination (lime green/blue) and wear them for the rest of their existence.

But you know, this coming from a Redskin fan ;)

ayr02r.gif

I don't think, because thinking implies uncertainty. Therefore, I KNOW.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This claim by the Cowboys that this "green pants" problem is just now becoming an issue is a bit of a stretch. The Cowboys have deliberately been designating a specific Pantone Metallic color labeled "Silver-Green" in their style guide since at least 1991.

I don't think they're really claiming that it's only now becoming an issue:

"When fans go to our home games in person the No. 1 grief we hear about is the green pants," says Cowboys vice president of merchandising Bill Priakos. "Now we're hearing it from fans watching on TV because of HD. It's too realistic."

On old-school TV, Cowboys' green came across silver. On HD TV, Cowboys' green comes across, well, green.

Makes sense to me - the Cowboys created this bizarre color set in an attempt to make the colors match on television. It's always looked goofy in person, but better on television. Now television technology has changed, and their solution is now a problem itself, looking as bad there as it does from the stands.

A start would be to just where the better-matching-silver "away" pants with both sets. I think they need to solve the mess, but this is a simple solution that, for now, would greatly improve the problem.

I think that would be the logical place for them to start experimenting. Unfortunately, the blue stripes would then not match the jersey numbers and stripes. I think they need to revert to the darker blue of the '60s shown below (or is that just the photo?) it's work. At any rate, if the Cowboys darkened the royal and lightened the navy to find a nice shade in between and paired it with a metallic silver blue, I think it would be perfect. I've always thought they should use the helmet as their guide.

The trim sure looks black in old pictures though it's impossible to be sure. These are from '66...

4359583.jpg

As best I can remember every white Cowboys jersey I've ever owned from the '70s on has had black trim. It always confused me, even at an early age.

As a diehard Boys fan, I implore them to resurrect the metallic blue pants of the mid-1970s, when the uni numbers also seemed to match the navy blue on the helmet.

1977cowboysdorsett.jpg

This would be my choice for pants. I'd like the Cowboys to try to stay unique with a metallic silver blue of some sort, even if it comes off more "perriwinkle" from the Crayola box.

4359583.jpg

Maybe it's just the lighting, but in this photo the blue on the jersey seems to match the blue on the helmet much better than on the current unis.

Well, they DID used to match. It wasn't until the '80s (and then to an extreme, the '90s) where all of these different Blues and Silvers got screwed up.

4359583.jpg

Maybe it's just the lighting, but in this photo the blue on the jersey seems to match the blue on the helmet much better than on the current unis.

Well, they DID used to match. It wasn't until the '80s (and then to an extreme, the '90s) where all of these different Blues and Silvers got screwed up.

That's what I thought, too. Here's hoping they get back to that.

Yeah but generally the Panthers only wear silver pants with black shirts and white pants with white shirts. This could, of course, change down the road as more teams mix and match, so it's still a good idea to keep the silver-green Cowboys pants.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

How the panthers? They are all white.

False. Silver helmets and pants.

Half False. Silver helmet and white pants with white jerseys, which is the only color jersey that they share with the Cowboys, so there's really no opportunity for confusion (unless they start playing mix & match with their outfits.)

Obviously they'll not be confused with the Cowboys while wearing their silver helmet and pants with their black jerseys.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sometimes it takes a daylight photo to illuminate just how screwed up their current unis really are.

9d8a03845e55611665a36f8.jpg

Some fans on Cowboy message boards swear they can't see the green. They must be blind.

1277701148570.png

bledjersey.jpg

The greenish tone dates back to the mid-1980s (and maybe a little earlier). Tex Schramm was a great man, but ditching the metallic blue pants and the serif font was not one of his finer moments.

1271120689877.jpg

tootall.jpg

At least the blues match on the practice jerseys.

gyfjf.jpg

Here's a novel thought: why not just make the Cowboys' helmets match the silver-bluish-greenish pants, and get rid of the silver pants altogether?

Anyone wanna Photoshop how the helmet would look? 57% of Cowboys fans probably wouldn't even notice.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Here's a novel thought: why not just make the Cowboys' helmets match the silver-bluish-greenish pants, and get rid of the silver pants altogether?

Anyone wanna Photoshop how the helmet would look? 57% of Cowboys fans probably wouldn't even notice.

I agree. Greenish silver with royal blue is the way to go.
OldRomanSig2.jpg

So you want to take a color that every true fan hates and have it spread like a virus to other parts of the uniform. Brilliant.

1060v1ejpg.gif

I agree. Greenish silver with royal blue is the way to go.

Gak. The silver green is just an obnoxious tweak done to make the pants look more metallic on 1980s-vintage TVs, and that only worked under certain lighting. Go back to the original silver blue from the 60s/70s. and match it all up again. With modern fabrics the silver blue pants will truely be "silver blue" and they won't fade to odd purple-grey colors either.

The helmets first got "off" when so many players went to the MaxPro helmets that were painted on the inside of the clear shell (the shell also made the blue on the stripes and star logo look darker); the Cowboys just adopted that less blue/more silver shade with darker stripes/logos so the helmet was in-between the traditional white/silver blue uniforms and the navy/silver dark uniforms they adopted in 1981.

I've said for decades now - the Cowboys need to get off the fence and either go totally navy/silver (throw in a navy facemask while you're at it) or go back to the original metallic silver blue/dark royal blue color scheme of used from 1964-1980.

Archived