C-Jay & C-Fish's NHL Redesign

CJworks

#3 Boston Bruins

Up Next: #4 Buffalo Sabres

bruinprimary-2.png

First off, color change: I added silver to the mix, along with a faded brown as an accent in the logos. My intentions were to greatly improve on the bear as the main identity for the Bruins, rather than the simple 'B' logo. As I am quite unfamiliar with the league (and the sport altogether), I did a quick little research on the past logos, and I really like their first three ideas, which had the bear as the main focus. However, the positions and expressions of the animals haven't been quite 'respectable' for lack of a better term, so I took it upon myself todo so. The primary crest is a bruin standing on its hind legs in a golden triangle, representing it's superiority in the animal kingdom. I also brang back the 'B' logo, which most Bruins fans seem to be fond of, this time with a more updated font. My final thoughts on the logo and uniform sets were positive, but I was dying to add a vintage uniform to the set. The crest for this uniform is a silhouette of a walking bruin on a gold circle with text, which was modeled after this logo

Home

bruinhome.png

Away

bruinaway.png

Third (Fauxback)

bruinalternate.png

What do you guys think?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one is probably the best of the three so far. I love the primary logo. The bear on top of the triangle is a very excellent representation of a the animal kingdom. Too bad the Bruins haven't been at the top lately. :D

I especially like the alt. Vintage apparel is always fun for me to look at.

Like Grandma always said, "It's easier to be vintage when you have a storied history", and the Bruins have that, so I applaud you on creating a vintage uniform.

Alright well, I wouldn't personally suggest completely ousting the 'B' logo. There's a reason its stuck around so long. Other than that, I love the logo you created. I think it would work better as a shoulder patch though. Also, the bottom of the triangle looks a bit off, lots of random lines. Good work though

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Here's my breakdowns:

Anaheim Ducks: As a Ducks fan, I could live with the color scheme. It gives the Ducks a more serious look. However, I'm not a big fan of the primary logo. I like the whole tie in with the duck in flight and the sport itself. But, there's just something about a plain duck that doesn't seem good enough to me. I've always been a "Mighty" Duck and I felt ever since the re-branding they have lost this. I feel if you're going to dig a little into the past, try to incorporate just a bit more of that old charm. The uniforms look great, including the alternate. The circular Ducks logo is phenomenal, but I'm not feeling the 5 ducks logo. It seems a bit much.

Atlanta Thrashers: Nice effort, but I'm not feeling this 100%. The colors scheme and uniforms is perfect, but the bird head I feel needs a little re-working. However, the alternate logo looks like it would be a great primary. I'm not quite sure what you could do for an alternate. Maybe use that same bird head, but re-worked?

Boston Bruins: All I have to say here is that you nailed this one 100%. Nicely done.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Alright well, I wouldn't personally suggest completely ousting the 'B' logo. There's a reason its stuck around so long. Other than that, I love the logo you created. I think it would work better as a shoulder patch though. Also, the bottom of the triangle looks a bit off, lots of random lines. Good work though

When it comes to things like this, where people try to rebrand the entire league, I think of it the same way I described PuckDrawn.com's contests: imagine if, for some reason, the teams lost the copyright to their logos. It doesn't matter why, but they lost the right to use any of their past logos so they are completely forced to make new stuff. So, if they hired new design firms to create a new look for them to replace their current stuff.

You're absolutely right, the Spoked-B should not be eliminated, nor should almost all of the 1967-and-prior teams, but thinking in the above frame of mind makes all of this a lot more palatable.

that said, this is a great concept. Idk if I'm feeling the triangle, but it's very solid, and there's nothing to complain about. Nice job guys, I really hope this series carries out through all 30

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I think if you're going to have the spoked-B be white, you should also make the "Boston" in the primary logo white. Just so there is some tie between it all. Otherwise, the white B comes out of left field with the rest of the logo set. Also the "Boston" in brown gets lost in the bear. The white will help it be legible as well. Having Bruins be white might be too much white, so I think just having "Boston" be white would suffice.

Besides that one little thing, great job.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

if you have to get rid of the spoked b, this would have to be one of the greatest outcomes possible. it's an extremely drastic change for a traditional original six looking franchise, but you executed it really nicely.

actually, after giving this a second look i think replacing the silver with the white *might* help the logos and jerseys "pop" a lot better.

I like the home and road sweaters, but I'm a traditionalist and not very fond of the numbers under the arm stripes. Love the Bruin in the triangle and the updated spoked B logo. I think that would be 100x better than the crappy plain alternate they have now.

Great job on the vintage sweater. Except for the sleeve number again and the number on the pants.

It was definitely great to see something different for the Bruins though!

Very good job on the Bruins.

You might want to clean up the B logo though. Also, the primary looks just a tad off near the face...and I'm not sure how I feel about the triangle...I'll have to see what you do with Pittsburgh.

Having a black and gold team (so relevant to pitt sports) with a triangle logo screams pittsburgh.

The vintage and primary are both great. This one is probably the greatest concept so far. I also like how you don't use the "B" logo that much.

Woah! You think I'm Cody? My name is Carl Scott Simone and we just happen to share a birthday. BIG DEAL.

The Bruins unis look great...no complaints. I agree with some of the comments on the logos though. I think it would look better if you just made the bottom of the triangle under "Bruins" yellow, and I agree that the white B in the wheel logo is inconsistent with the new primary.

Otherwise it looks great and I'm loving this series!

First of all, I'm loving this. That Bruins logo looks a lot like the one below, for Anyang Halla in the Asian Hockey League, but it still looks beautiful.

a_logo.gif

For the Ducks alt though, what's with that big Schwarzenegger-belt stripe? I've never seen those one ever hockey jersey.

The Thrashers logo doesn't seem too intimidating to me, either.

Finally, that grey stripe on the Boston home looks way out of place.

But please, I'm a huge pessimist, and if these are all the faults I can find with your stuff, you're doing something right.

Guess I'm in the minority saying that the Bruins look is a total flop.

• The updated font for the sake of an update is not good.
  • Placement of the numbers on the sleeves is far too low to be useful, and scream that they're there for the sake of you needing numbers on the sleeves. A fact made more obvious by the vintage look where on the front/back view makes it seem as if the numbers could be buried within a player's gloves.
  • The bear itself is muted against the triangle, which has too much dead space in the upper corners, and therefore comes off as killing the bear itself.
  • The replacement of white stripes by gray isn't as shocking as I think you were shooting for. In fact, it was as if you were purposely avoiding white at all costs, except when it was necessary for a white uniform, but forgot about it on the spoked logo for the shoulders.

I have to say I agree with Puck on all counts.

The Bs already have a strong modern typeface that's still clean and legible. Changing that to something very similar yet oblique just for the sake of change doesn't help. Especially with the double outline, it's too hard on the eyes. And, as he said, the numbers on the sleeve are way too far down.

I also agree about the use of color here. In the primary you have yellow, brown, black, and silver. Add to that palette the complete lack of white, and everything looks pretty muddy. With brown as a 'highlight' color, the black and yellow become drawn together with it into a big mess.

I also think that the bear logo, while a good start, needs lots of work. Firstly, something is off about his face. The nose needs work, as does the 'forehead' area. His left (our right) arm looks detached due to the shadowing, and in general his body looks a bit too small for his head. I would wager that you're using a specific photograph or other source to do a straight conversion render on this. I'd suggest going back and stylizing things a bit more by simplifying: much more black shadowy areas, fewer yellow highlights. Right now, it looks like the bear itself has golden blonde hair instead of black or very dark brown. A bear is a dark animal. Make him dark and show us only what you need to show to reveal the forms and highlight certain points (eyes, nose, teeth, claws, whatever).

As far as the other logos go, I admire the effort to update the spoked wheel, but I don't think yours works. Again, it feels like slight change for the sake of slight change. Unfortunately, the B's current spoked wheel logo is damn near perfectly executed. I do like the idea behind the alternate logo, but I think it also needs tweaking. I'd lose the double outline around the bear, use much less tracking on the type (it needs to be much denser), and find a way to add some depth. Right now, it's too airy and flat to be a crest.

This one could be good, but it needs lots of work.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Alright, so here's my second go-around with the Bruins:

-Dropped silver/gray completely. Replaced with white

-Tweaked the bear a little bit, most notably in the highlights and facial area. Also patched up the bottom of the triangle

-Changed the 'B' in the spoke logo to gold

-Fixed the width in the lettering for the fauxback crest, dropped the outlines on the bear

-Fixed the home and road uniforms; tweaked the sleeve numbers a tad

-Moved the numbers on the fauxback alternate to the shoulders

Let me know what you think.

Primary Crest // Secondary Crest // Shoulder Patch // Home // Away // Alternate/Fauxback

Id love to see the anaheim series in the original colors. fans are still in love with the mighty ducks color scheme!

as for the bruins, the classic hub logo isnt even on one main jersey crest? what gives lol? i know its a concept but keep the original six a little...original.

cant wait to see st. louis

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Archived