Home Brewery Branding

sirantlers

I'm not really fishing for compensation. I was just curious is all. I would like to try the beers once you get the recipes locked in, though.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

would this work for the poses? http://www.leylander.org/armymen/timmee00.jpg

The first on the and row, and last on the 3rd row are laying down if you can remember.

That's sort of what I'm looking for, but much bigger. I started with this but replaced the gun with a radio, I also saw a guy with binoculars but not a large enough image. The amount of detail there makes me think those are larger than the classic green army men, but maybe there is one specific brand that is just that much better as far as detail and quality go.

EDIT: found the brand. Check the third row down, all the way on the left, and you'll find the 'follow me' officer. Reading the description, it seems this particular set of figures was a step above the others in terms of quality and detail, so that's got to be it. Now I just have to find some.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Off topic here, but I'm not a fan of Fat Tire from New Belgium. They push it really hard as their flagship brew...but Mothership and 1554 (one of the darkest beers I've had that drink really light) are much better to me.

Carry on. I just love brew.

1554 is fantastic.

Back on topic, I really like where these are headed. I'm a fan of a consistent look for labels across a brand.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Off topic here, but I'm not a fan of Fat Tire from New Belgium. They push it really hard as their flagship brew...but Mothership and 1554 (one of the darkest beers I've had that drink really light) are much better to me.

Carry on. I just love brew.

1554 is fantastic.

Back on topic, I really like where these are headed. I'm a fan of a consistent look for labels across a brand.

Yep....same here. Once beer that fails to do that is Victory Brewing. Great beers, no consistancy in the labels....

• 3 weeks later...

I've been struggling to find time to finish them, but I have two of them done thus far. After I started working on the second one, I didn't find the design direction as compelling as I had originally thought it might be, so I started doing a darker theme with a stronger inspiration from actual military insignia. Still have to get more army man poses as well.

reconrouge-1.pngatomicamberale.png

I love the logo you did andrew, but i'm not feeling these last two labels. i think taking inspiration from actual military insignia is a good start and the atomic amber label works better IMO. I wouldn't abandon your original logo since there needs to be some brand equity established, and i'd try to work some of that beautiful green and yellow into every design. Maybe also check out the beer packaging at the dieline.com for some more inspiration? Also, I'm curious how you achieved the spray paint effect in a vector format - was it photoshop you livetraced or traced by hand?

OD_Signature.jpg

I see what you're saying. The way I thought about it is this: that the visual culture of the military, especially from the Vietnam/Army Man era, is very unique, and it's sort of clunky and unrefined in a lot of ways because it's so purely utilitarian, sort of like beer, in a way. The original label I did, to me, seemed too slick and over-designed, and lost a lot of authentic military feel as a result. As for the colors, I agree with you inasmuchas I really like the olive drab and gold, but I decided that using a unique two-color scheme for each beer would prove to be better from the standpoint of functionality. That particular color scheme will make an appearance, though, on one of the varieties.

With the logo, it gets tough. I understand wanting to have the same logo across everything, but when you already have an Army Man somewhere else on the label, it looks sort of redundant. The star is a good universal militaristic symbol, but again, on a label that features a lot of stars, I'd ask, does that look redundant, too? So I opted to try using a symbol associated with the particular imagery of the beer. For example, a recon squadron using the swift, silent, deadly motto and featuring a skull of some sort, because it's a popular theme among recon squads' patches. For promo items like posters and where the logo wouldn't be associated with one of the specific brews, I think a single logo should be used all the time. I think it's only appropriate to change the icon on the labels themselves.

The spraypaint effect on the type is the font itself. It's part of a really good family of fonts called Octin. This is the Spraypaint subfamily, and it has all the characters, a half-dozen weights/styles and a second set of letters so you don't have repeating letters in your words. I'd suggest MyFonts.com to buy it because they sometimes have certain subfamilies on sale. I just copied some of the paint splatters from the individual letters to make the errant spray.

The new ones are not bad at all, but I really liked the original Recon Rouge Label. I think everything would work out better if you had it a little more uniformed to the original Recon Rouge Label.......I really like that and would like to use it for the basis on the rest of the labels. As far as the Army man trademark logo, its fantastic.....I also like the wording you have used on each bottle. We are really trying to take everything to the next level and start microbrewing, so we would really like to get something more than a concept down....Keep up the good work....

• 2 weeks later...

Anything new? We have now done 8 batches of all kinds of different stuff and we really need labels.....Not in position to pay but I would really like to work with someone in exchange for beer and the chance to have their label featured on a microbrew!

I'll be able to get these done by next week (or as soon as I can get some of my current projects out the door). Let me know what varieties you already have made so I can work those in first.

I'll be able to get these done by next week (or as soon as I can get some of my current projects out the door). Let me know what varieties you already have made so I can work those in first.

Thanks Andrew.....I appreciate it much! The only thing we're going to have to tweek from these labels is the alcohol percentage. Other than that, I really want to go forward based on your first Recon Rouge label.

So far:

3 Batches of Recon Rouge @ 4.5% ABV

The Hand Grenade Hop Ale India Pale Ale(ABV TBD)

And our Octoberfest which were calling Special OPS-toberfest

We did the Manhattan Project Mocha Porter last night as well

so we have 4 in all. I whipped up this at work for a general idea:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=252396&id=710535660&l=1312d58ad1

I really like using the slogan: That none should be left behind, the official Motto of Special Ops. Also the other brewers I'm working with were very specific that the word OPS-Toberfest needs to be hyphenated.....Thanks again for your help and I'm looking forward to seeing what you put together!

Okay. Sounds good. I think I have an idea to blend it together in such a way that keeps the 'look' of the original and the 'feel' of the new. SO it's got that stripe motif like the first one, but is a little darker and more authentic at the same time.

Okay. Sounds good. I think I have an idea to blend it together in such a way that keeps the 'look' of the original and the 'feel' of the new. SO it's got that stripe motif like the first one, but is a little darker and more authentic at the same time.

BTW, is that slogan an ode to Black Keys?

No, but I do like the Black Keys. They're basically a hometown band for me, being from Cleveland (they're from Akron).

No, but I do like the Black Keys. They're basically a hometown band for me, being from Cleveland (they're from Akron).

Ok, so this is where we are at. We had to change the name of the mocha porter because Brooklyn actually has a manhattan project, so were calling it mortar mocha porter using the army man loading the mortar.

We have brewed so far:

Buffalo Winter Warrior

Morter Mocha Porter

Recon Rouge

Hand Grenade Hop Ale

Call in the Cavalry Double Chocolate Stout

Big Bertha Big Brown Ale

Were going to start doing labels next week, so if you get anything else finished or have any time, I really want to use your labels!

Archived