LA Angels in Blue?

themightyspitz

Hey, I noticed you called them the "LA" Angels... They're proper name is actually the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Since we're nitpicking here, there is a difference between "they're" and "their". There.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of real surprises in this thread:

1. That the Angels' red look isn't universally accepted. I hadn't been aware of this debate before. In my opinion, it is the best modernization of a classic look next to the White Sox, red-on-red and all. Like the Sox, I had no expectation of the Angels' red going away any time soon. I like the '90s CA look, too, and even the '80s version, but this red set still works for me on several levels. Maybe that's just what happens when a look nears the decade mark.

And the Rangers and Angels have been disturbingly similar for a while. They both changed to nearly identical fonts and jerseys in 1994:

Dressed to the Nines -- 1994 AL

Texas just used more red then, abandoned it pretty much the day they introduced A-Rod (blue cap), and now the Angels use it. Blame MLB for letting that happen in 1994. If anything, the Rangers "stole" the look (minus the all-red) from the Angels' original 1965 look. It doesn't help that the two teams share the majority of their names as well (ANGE). That just makes the similarities more glaring.

2. That the Dodgers in royal and the Angels in navy is unacceptable or confusing because "it's all blue," yet we have a whole Cowboys thread devoted to the idea of them finally matching blues.

Just a couple of random observations.

The A logo is meant to be a complete brand and not just a cap logo. It's something where you know what it is as soon as you look at it, and it's quite a smart marketing strategy (plus Todd Radom did a fantastic job with it). I don't see what other logo they can add that would be strong as a primary yet not take away from the brand. I honestly wasn't at all a fan of the original primary with the blue field background, and there's really nothing that can improve on the current branding strategy. Heck, if you're getting sick of it, at the same time, the plan's working.

It looks stupid repeating the same logo over and over. I care not about "strategy" or "brand."

Oh, and there's also a big A in front of the stadium, and the rock fountain in center field forms an A. I don't think most teams have had to go that far just to make you recognize one letter.

Question for you LA-ers...what team has a bigger following, the Dodgers or Angels, or does it depend on where people live?

Predictably, it LA County you have more Dodger fans, and in Orange County more Angel fans. There are quite a few Angel caps to be seen around Los Angeles city, though. There are probably more Angel fans in LA than there are Dodger fans in Anaheim, but that's just because of the nature of the cities. But there have to be more Dodger fans, overall. They had a pretty big head start before the Angels starting being relevant.

It looks stupid repeating the same logo over and over. I care not about "strategy" or "brand."

There are many who would disagree with you. Also, "strategy" and "brand" are kind of the point of all modern sports logos. IMO from an outsider's perspective, the Angels have done an excellent job of building their brand over the past few years.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Pretty much every team in baseball can be boiled down to red, blue, or black. Except the A's.

Nope. Not even the A's.

justin-duchscherer.jpg

For what it's worth, when the Yankees were in Oakland, YES' Ken Singleton said he heard this was the last year of the black A's jerseys.

That's too bad because those jerseys are great and are much better than those terrible black jerseys in 2000. Maybe they don't fit the A's, seeing as how black has never been one of their colors (and I guess that is why they are being axed), but I think this is one of the times where the addition of black or a black uniform worked. If kept to a once in a while kind of jersey, I'd hope they'd stick around.

You're right, it was a mistake calling him cheap. He's reminds me so much of Frank McCourt and Bruce McNall, owners who really don't have money except on credit. The Angels have what to describe their payroll, an average team at best with horrible pitching. Their big time move was to get an old DH?

You're complaining that the DH they got is "old"? The DH was created for "old" players. The idea is that some guys can still hit really well even if they can't run around in the field.

The Rangers got an old DH this season and it's working out great for them. The Angels could have had the same guy but they picked a different one for about the same money and it didn't work out.

They still hold onto Ervin Santana like he's something.

They're wrong to "hold onto" a guy with a 3.76 ERA?

After Weaver they have a bunch of 4th starters because Arte doesn't have the money to go get real talent such as Halladay.

You do realize that Halladay was traded, right? It wasn't a matter of money.

YThey won't do anything at the trade deadline again because Arte doesn't have the money to pay anyone as they sit on crappy prospects who don't turn out to be anything more than average bench players.

Didn't they trade for Mark Teixiera a couple summers ago? And then offered him a huge contract after the season ended?

Arte doesn't have the money, he never did and never will. He's one of these guys who it will come out sooner or later that he's a fraud. The signs are there, if you know what to look for. The only thing Arte Moreno cares about is stroking his ego.

Yes, you're absolutely right. Arte Moreno is a fraud and has no money and the signs are all there (no need to explain what signs you're talking about). And he's such a cunning con artist that he fooled Major League Baseball into having the 2010 All Star Game in Anaheim tonight. Why, he's even fooled ESPN into ranking the Angels as the best fan experience of any professional sports team in MLB, NFL, NHL, and NBA. LA Times link.

Thankfully, we have extremely astute individuals such as yourself who can make sure we all know the truth. Excellent work.

The best name for the team was the Anaheim Angels.

Question for you LA-ers...what team has a bigger following, the Dodgers or Angels, or does it depend on where people live?

The Dodgers are definitely more popular. It has a lot to do with geography since the Dodgers are centered in LA county which has a much bigger population than Orange County, where the Angels are. Of course, the Dodgers also have a longer and better history, and that's a factor as well.

Together, the Dodgers and Angels had over 7 million tickets sold last season, so both teams have a strong fan base.

The only change I would do is either put a LA or bring back the California logo on the sleeved.

As for the 93-96 uniforms I bet you that if Gene Autry didn't sell the Angels we would still see those uniforms. Im hoping that Periwinkle never come back.

It is a matter of money when you have to give up a boatload of young talent for a guy entering the final year of his contract. If you're not willing to pay the money to lock the guy up long term, you don't make the deal. I believe that's what he was getting at.

IUe6Hvh.png

The Dodgers are definitely more popular. It has a lot to do with geography since the Dodgers are centered in LA county which has a much bigger population than Orange County, where the Angels are. Of course, the Dodgers also have a longer and better history, and that's a factor as well.

Together, the Dodgers and Angels had over 7 million tickets sold last season, so both teams have a strong fan base.

Agreed on all those points. However, I have a difficult time getting behind a sports team whose identity doesn't match the city unless it's generic enough to go anywhere. And keeping that same, specialized identity makes it seem more like a slap in the face to the previous host city.

Ironically, amongst my friends, the Dodgers fans tend to support USC and the Angels fans tend to support UCLA. Go figure.

galaxy.png

Oddball simply has awful views on the Angels.

As an A's fan, I hate a lot of things about the Angels, but I would love to have an owner like Arte Moreno, and the way that team spends money AND develops their own, and doesn't like trading away prospects is something I respect the hell out of.

I still prefer the 95-era blues to the current set.

And the downgrade from the CA blues to the Disney-era pinstripes with the solid blue sleeve is one of the worst ever. Up there with the Buffalo Sabre-to-Goat head.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Agreed on all those points. However, I have a difficult time getting behind a sports team whose identity doesn't match the city unless it's generic enough to go anywhere. And keeping that same, specialized identity makes it seem more like a slap in the face to the previous host city.

Ironically, amongst my friends, the Dodgers fans tend to support USC and the Angels fans tend to support UCLA. Go figure.

Hah, my uncle went to UCLA and is an Angels fan. Kind of funny how that works.

330zl3b.png

Yes. I'm guessing you're pretty young, because they wore these (or at least close enough) as recently as 1996.

Yeah, they've actually been predominantly blue for most of their history. They have only been red for a few seasons.

0616_large.jpg

87Redskins.png

OP - check out all of their uniforms here.

My favorite are the 93-96 uniforms but the hat worn up to 1988 best.

The 97-2001 Disney set is actually not bad.

They need to fix their convoluted name though, go back to Anaheim Angels. California Angels even sounds better, but that's a big state and they're not the only team in the state.

87Redskins.png

It is a matter of money when you have to give up a boatload of young talent for a guy entering the final year of his contract. If you're not willing to pay the money to lock the guy up long term, you don't make the deal. I believe that's what he was getting at.

If I may interject -- Halladay wasn't going to the Angels regardless. A) He'd only accept a trade to a team that trains in FLA and B ) The best package the Angels could muster up (That I'd heard) for Doc was Erick Aybar, Joe Saunders and Brandon Wood. No thanks.

Archived