Baseball Stadium Designing

ezreiter3

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks like a cross of Citizens' Bank park, Bugs Bunny (Turner) Field, Comerica Park and maybe even Petco Park ("Where fly balls go to die").

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

I didn't do a baseball stadium, but since this is kinda related, I'll post this. About a year ago, I did a design project for my Master's thesis (in Architecture) that involved a 12,000-seat multi-purpose arena (primarily for minor league hockey) just south of downtown Milwaukee (my hometown, Discriminhater and MilTownMVP may know exactly where I put it). I don't have access to the renderings (interior for pre-thesis, exterior photomontages for my final presentation) right now because I'm at work, but I'll post them later tonight if anyone's interested...

I'm guessing the Valley or the Third Ward.

I think that could really work if you added a few more seats for an AFL team (12,500 is the average AFL attendance, but if the Mustangs taught us anything, we'd need more seats than that). Then when the Bradley Center is replaced (which it probably will be in another 8 years), they could build it more with basketball in mind.

I actually had an idea to build a 65,000 seat football stadium where the Park East freeway used to be, but that would require Marquette to actually get their heads out of their arses and start a football program. The capacity would also be large enough to get the Packers back down here too.

But yea, post your idea when you get back in... I'd love to see it.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

to me it looks more like Ameriquest Field in Texas (sans the French Quarter looking building in center field of course

True. The facade does look like Ameriquest Field, which I was trying to emulate. The openings are large-scaled home plates.

The brown building in RF is supposed to have a water fountain running down the one side facing the field. So if you're in the building looking out on the field, you see the water falling in front of you like Niagara Falls.

I saw, I came, I left.

"NIAGARA FALLS!!!  Slowly I turned...step by step...inch by inch...then I kicked him...and punched him..."

Surely, if you know the old Abbott and Costello show on television, The Three Stooges or WGN's Bozo The Clown, you'll understand the above.

Sure I do...I WAS from a Three Stooges short!!! I even remember the old Abbott and Costello shows that WPIX played after the Yankees games. As far as Bozo the Clown...that's another story.

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

If anyone's up to a real challenge, my sports organization has long sought someone to do up a layout of a combination softball/flag football park we're currently raising the $$$ to build.

We couldn't pay anything (hell, right now we can barely pay our referees), but if we raise the money, (a) there's more than a slight a chance you could get to actually see your design come to life, and (B) if/when built (and guys, this is years off unless we find some corporate angels to kick in some green), we'd put your name on a plaque recognizing you as the 'designer' or some such thing.

Anyway, if anyone's interested PM me. It might be fun!

nav-logo.png

Actually we've been looking at (drooling over is more like it) some land out Poole Road, between Raleigh and Wendell. There's a 50-acre parcel which we like, but simply can't afford anytime soon.

Right now we use Raleigh Rec & Parks fields :cursing: , which is precisely why we're seeking our own home.

nav-logo.png

"Sure I do...it WAS from a Three Stooges short!!! I even remember the old Abbott and Costello shows that WPIX played after the Yankees games. As far as Bozo the Clown...that's another story."

----->FIVE HUNDRETH POST!<-----

Yes, as a matter of fact, when I lived down in Emporia, Virginia in the 1990's, I was a writer for "The Bozo Show" on WGN. Just thought I'd let y'all know!

"Sure I do...it WAS from a Three Stooges short!!! I even remember the old Abbott and Costello shows that WPIX played after the Yankees games. As far as Bozo the Clown...that's another story."

Yes, as a matter of fact, when I lived down in Emporia, Virginia in the 1990's, I was a writer for "The Bozo Show" on WGN. Just thought I'd let y'all know!

Hey, I was on the Bozo show in 1986. I was pissed because my sister got picked to do the ping-pong toss when I was the one that'd been practicing it for a month.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

For those who want me to give a stadium design, keep in mind my designs are rather generic. Meaning no actual seats are placed, they are identified by a simple face, I usually don't put logos, but I can do that rather easily. I actually can make logos from the CAD software. The time it takes for me to do it depends on the features.

I saw, I came, I left.

"Yes, as a matter of fact, when I lived down in Emporia, Virginia in the 1990's, I was a writer for "The Bozo Show" on WGN. Just thought I'd let y'all know!"

"Hey, I was on the Bozo show in 1986. I was p!$$ed because my sister got picked to do the ping-pong toss when I was the one that'd been practicing it for a month."

Well, that's good to know. How'd she do in the GPG (Grand Prize Game)?

I didn't do a baseball stadium, but since this is kinda related, I'll post this. About a year ago, I did a design project for my Master's thesis (in Architecture) that involved a 12,000-seat multi-purpose arena (primarily for minor league hockey) just south of downtown Milwaukee (my hometown, Discriminhater and MilTownMVP may know exactly where I put it). I don't have access to the renderings (interior for pre-thesis, exterior photomontages for my final presentation) right now because I'm at work, but I'll post them later tonight if anyone's interested...

I think that could really work if you added a few more seats for an AFL team (12,500 is the average AFL attendance, but if the Mustangs taught us anything, we'd need more seats than that). Then when the Bradley Center is replaced (which it probably will be in another 8 years), they could build it more with basketball in mind.

I actually had an idea to build a 65,000 seat football stadium where the Park East freeway used to be, but that would require Marquette to actually get their heads out of their arses and start a football program. The capacity would also be large enough to get the Packers back down here too.

Well, you wanted to see my idea, and you've got it. I have quite a few pictures that I plan on spreading over 2-3 posts, so please withhold all commentary until all of my images are shown.

THE GENESIS OF THE IDEA

Ever since the switch to the AHL, the Milwaukee Admirals have suffered from a decrease in interest and attendance. Most nights, they can barely get 6,000 fans (if that many) into the Bradley Center. With new ownership coming in soon (hopefully), this is clearly a team that would benefit from playing in a smaller venue in their own urban neighborhood. In this case, the urban neighborhood is the redeveloping Menomonee River Valley (located just south of downtown Milwaukee). Specifically, the location of the arena is on the southeast corner of 6th and Canal Streets on the east end of the Valley.

PRELIMINARY INTERIOR RENDERINGS

PreliminaryRendering01.jpg

PreliminaryRendering02.jpg

For those of you not familiar, the neighborhood where I decided to place my arena has a very historic industrial character to it, which I tried to bring into the arena. The building on the end of the arena would feature retail on the first level, along with offices overlooking the arena on the upper levels. Obviously, this wasn't the final product, but was the spark behind many of the key ideas of the project...

QPR%20Sig.png

THE FINAL DESIGN

Service Level

ServiceLevel.gif

Street Level

StreetLevel.gif

Mezzanine Level

MezzanineLevel.gif

Terrace Level

TerraceLevel.gif

Basically, the idea behind the layout of the arena (which will be further illustrated in the sections and elevations) is the idea of connecting the surrounding neighborhood to the interior of the arena. It's something you see a lot in outdoor venues (especially in baseball), but not really in the indoor arenas (although that's starting to change). The two upper decks are left open on the east end to allow for views into the Fifth Ward and downtown Milwaukee. This design keeps the seating capacity at around 12,000 for hockey, but is easily expandable by closing one or both upper seating decks.

QPR%20Sig.png

SECTION CUTS

ShortSectionCut.gif

LongSectionCut.gif

These further illustrate the idea I was going for with the layout of the seating bowl and upper decks. As you can see, entry is at street level, and the playing surface is sunken 20 feet below grade. This ties in with the idea behind the arena's exterior, shown on the elevations...

ELEVATIONS

ShortElevation.gif

LongElevation.gif

The idea behind the elevation is simple: Create uses for the arena during non-game time and tie the overall look of the building into the surrounding neighborhood. The corner elements are basically modeled after the brick masonry buildings in the Valley, the interstitial 2-story elements have a more modern aesthetic to them, and the back face of the building is modeled after the sides and backs of warehouse buildings (which have their own simple, unique beauty). The first level of the "wrapper building" around the arena features retail/restaurants/bars while the upper floors feature office space (some used by team/arena administration, some speculative).

QPR%20Sig.png

FINAL PHOTOMONTAGE IMAGES

Corner of 6th and Canal

FinalPhotomontage01.jpg

East Elevation

FinalPhotomontage02.jpg

View North into downtown Milwaukee

FinalPhotomontage03.jpg

This is the real eye candy of the project: putting virtual imagery of your completed project into its surrounding context. I think the pictures pretty much speak for themselves.

So now, I guess it's your turn, I'm now opening it up for comments :)

QPR%20Sig.png

Moser, that's REALLY REALLY impressive. :notworthy::notworthy:. Did you use AutoCAD? I'm more used to technical part drawings, but I often use it to design my stadiums.

I've a couple of requests to do a stadium, maybe they should be asking you.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived