Legendary Yankees PA dies

Dilbert

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today we are all Yankees.

Nope. Not even Sheppard dying can make me a Yankee.

One not need be a fan to appreciate greatness. I think the appropriate thing to type would be:

Rest ... in ... peace ... Mr. ... Sheppard ... the voice ... of ... Yankee ... Stadium ...

Packers-2.png

Bob Sheppard was also a lector at St. Christopher's church in Baldwin, NY. I loved going to church there because it would remind me of being at the stadium. Also got to meet him several times. He was a wonderful man and he will be missed.

It's also a shame that someone has to be "that guy" each time some sport related folk die.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I saw an ESPN item on Sheppard's passing, and was really sickened by all the references to the "Voice of God" & heaven, and the way Sheppard even spoke of himself. Come on, it's baseball and he was an announcer. I guess do something long enough (and do it long enough in New York), and you're pretty much deified?

Not sure I really understand your beef. Is the objection on religious grounds? Because it's the Yankees? Because elevating baseball to sublime heights, to a very metaphor for America, is not exactly new.

I guarantee that when Vin Scully passes away, you'll hear the exact same tributes.

Not sure I really understand your beef. Is the objection on religious grounds? Because it's the Yankees? Because elevating baseball to sublime heights, to a very metaphor for America, is not exactly new.

I guarantee that when Vin Scully passes away, you'll hear the exact same tributes.

Just like we did for Ernie Harwell earlier this season.

Archived