Sign in to follow this  
Dilbert

Legendary Yankees PA dies

Baseball loses another icon.

Yankees games have never been the same since Bob left. I'm sure we'll be seeing the black armbands for the rest of the season.

Today we are all Yankees.

R.I.P. Bob

Nope. Not even Sheppard dying can make me a Yankee.

Nope. Not even Sheppard dying can make me a Yankee.

One not need be a fan to appreciate greatness. I think the appropriate thing to type would be:

Rest ... in ... peace ... Mr. ... Sheppard ... the voice ... of ... Yankee ... Stadium ...

Not to be forgotten he was also the P.A. voice for the New York football Giants for 50 years.

Bob Sheppard was also a lector at St. Christopher's church in Baldwin, NY. I loved going to church there because it would remind me of being at the stadium. Also got to meet him several times. He was a wonderful man and he will be missed.

no, today, we are all PA announcers...

no, today, we are all PA announcers...

It's really a shame we don't have some way to add an echo to that.

It's also a shame that someone has to be "that guy" each time some sport related folk die.

Yankees games have never been the same since Bob left. I'm sure we'll be seeing the black armbands for the rest of the season.

Yeah, it's been strange at the Stadium.

Reports are that Jeter will continue to use his tape of Sheppard's introduction.

It's also a shame that someone has to be "that guy" each time some sport related folk die.

Today we're all that guy.

I saw an ESPN item on Sheppard's passing, and was really sickened by all the references to the "Voice of God" & heaven, and the way Sheppard even spoke of himself. Come on, it's baseball and he was an announcer. I guess do something long enough (and do it long enough in New York), and you're pretty much deified?

Not sure I really understand your beef. Is the objection on religious grounds? Because it's the Yankees? Because elevating baseball to sublime heights, to a very metaphor for America, is not exactly new.

I guarantee that when Vin Scully passes away, you'll hear the exact same tributes.

Not sure I really understand your beef. Is the objection on religious grounds? Because it's the Yankees? Because elevating baseball to sublime heights, to a very metaphor for America, is not exactly new.

I guarantee that when Vin Scully passes away, you'll hear the exact same tributes.

Just like we did for Ernie Harwell earlier this season.