Legendary Yankees PA dies

Dilbert

Well, we can't all have the mid-size city's inferiority complex. :P

Nope, it's just Midwestern humility and egalitarianism. I don't care for people who think they're special.

You realize that you're talking to a guy from Milwaukee? :P

Seriously, doesn't sound like you're not actually acquainted with very many New Yorkers. Don't let lazy media stereotypes fool you - we're not all Carrie Bradshaw, and you're not all Tim Taylor. ;)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You realize that my point isn't about you specifically (even if I might've inadvertently lumped you in, because of your name and profile pic)?

Ah, but that's the problem when you make grand sweeping statements about millions of people.

Are there some arrogant New Yorkers, unable to see past the George Washington Bridge? Sure. But they're mostly on television. The real people aren't so easily characterized.

You realize that my point isn't about you specifically (even if I might've inadvertently lumped you in, because of your name and profile pic)?

Ah, but that's the problem when you make grand sweeping statements about millions of people.

Are there some arrogant New Yorkers, unable to see past the George Washington Bridge? Sure. But they're mostly on television. The real people aren't so easily characterized.

No, I'm also talking about personal experience with New Yorkers, of which I've had a lot of, professionally. Then there's actual friends and acquaintances, before you even get to people on TV, radio and the internet. People like Anthony Bourdain, sports radio callers, and the guy here with the John Updike, "the true New Yorker..." quote as his member title. And that's just off the very top of my head.

RIP Mr. Sheppard.

While I'm a Yankee hater, I did like his voice and delivery, and it certainly was a constant in the Sox - Yanks rivalry growing up in the late 70s. I think it's a classy move if Jeter uses a taped Sheppard announcement getting into the box every night (at the Stadium, obviously).

sig-1.png

Jeter's been doing that for a couple years. It takes some getting used to - the first time I heard it, I didn't notice anything different until after the at-bat. Then Abreu came up, was introduced by Jim Hall, and all of a sudden it clicked in.

No current or former Yankee players bothered to attend the 'legendary' Sheppard's funeral?! Hmmm...

link

'nother link

Didn't you hear? All New Yorkers must have their hearts surgically removed upon relocating within the five boroughs. No room for compassion in the Big City. :P

Archived