What the Rays should be called. . .

lancebridwell

I just got home from a Tampa Bay Rays game (they won, by the way :) ), and the experience overall was enjoyable, as were most of my prior visits. The only thing that kept it from being an excellent outing was one thing; those damn cowbells. Wtf does a cowbell have to do with a sunray (or a devil ray, if you count their patch)? It makes no sense and all the same they are annoying as hell. Maybe if they changed their name and logo to this, it'd be acceptable.

And yes, I know it's a premade bull head with alterations, but I wanted to whip up something.

14xc8b6.gif

ayr02r.gif

I don't think, because thinking implies uncertainty. Therefore, I KNOW.

Dude, this is never going to happen...the cowbell thing is just a fad, so chill out. Besides, what kind of real noise can they make to represent a Ray? Until the team starts to struggle, they arent going to change their name. The name "rays" has treated this organisation well.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I like the idea of the Detroit Octopi.

And logodude, YOU need to chill. Do you honestly think I would imagine that a baseball team would be the Cattle? It was intentionally taken overboard, as I thought I made clear in the way I wrote the description. Apparently, that didn't come through too well. Maybe I didn't use enough italicized letters or smilies, and I apologize for that, I guess. It was an attempt at humoring the whole cowbell thing.

ayr02r.gif

I just got home from a Tampa Bay Rays game (they won, by the way :) ), and the experience overall was enjoyable

What Rays game did you go to? I guess them winning might be enjoyable, but man going to one of those games in general isnt. That stadium is so ugly inside, looks like a big concrete warehouse, and the grass is beyond ugly, its like splotchy yellow. Its sad but id rather go down to Bright House Networks and watch the Clearwater Threshers (or the Phillies in the spring). Anyway, as for the concept, it wasnt bad, I got it, but I actually have no problem with the cowbells lol.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

I LOVE Bright House Field. Big fan of the Threshers. I went to the Sunday game versus the Indians. The grass is awful, yes. And eh, the stadium is better than the Metrodome, so I'm happy with that. It may have been the crowd (the wave, one side yelling Tampa, one side yelling Bay, etc.) Plus I'd hate to be in this weather watching a baseball game, I don't know how some fans do it. But you, know, this coming from a guy who's been to more night games in Detroit than he probably should have.

ayr02r.gif

The cowbell is a nod to the Saturday Night Live "More Cowbell" sketch with Christopher Walken and Will Ferrell. Stu Sternberg is a big fan of that sketch, so during early 2007 (or possibly 2006, can't remember), he played part of the sketch as a rally call in late innings when the Rays were losing. It was so popular that they gave away Devil Rays cowbells at a game, and the rest is history.

And would you rather hear cowbells or vuvuzelas? :lol:

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

I wasn't aware noise makers had to be relevant to the team's mascot. What do cow bells have to do with bulldogs? Nothing but they are still HHUUGGEE with Mississippi State. They're used all over the place and most teams whose fans use them have nothing to do with cows or agriculture.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

This I realize...as previously stated, this was just something in which I found humorous, and I took it intentionally overboard in re-branding the entire franchise.

ayr02r.gif

i might have been at the first cowbell game, but i'm not sure. they were definitely giving them out that game as i got one when i bought a souvenir rays helmet (you had to be dressed in rays gear to get one and since it was a red sox/rays game i obv wasn't). does anyone know when the first game they gave them out was? the game i was at was the first week of august 06.

i might have been at the first cowbell game, but i'm not sure. they were definitely giving them out that game as i got one when i bought a souvenir rays helmet (you had to be dressed in rays gear to get one and since it was a red sox/rays game i obv wasn't). does anyone know when the first game they gave them out was? the game i was at was the first week of august 06.

That sounds about right.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Archived