Most Underused Animals in Logo Design

hettinger_rl

To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any crows other than Aussie football's Adelaide Crows. Crows are pretty smart birds, and I'm sure they could be aggressive if provoked. Let's have more crows.

A raven is a crow - Baltimore Ravens

Not exactly. Ravens and crows are both members of the corvid family which also includes jays and mockingbirds (among others). So while the Baltimore Ravens are not in fact crows, they are cousins to the Toronto Bluejays.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aside from the Rampage, Rhinos are underused. Dinosaurs are pretty well covered (Slapshot, you forgot Ogden Raptors :D) Hippos could be used more, if at all. Monkeys could also be used more, and to expand, apes and baboons specifically. But I think the one we are all missing, and my personal favorite: Giraffes! Other than the vintage Lakers logo, they don't get much love at all. In fact, I've worked on concepts for the Lakers and Dash that use giraffe mascots. And I know dgnmrwrw has a baboon-like fury concept that's pretty effing awesome.

An example of how sweet a giraffe identity could be:

dash_id2.jpg

In the opinion on CCLC users; What animals would work best in logos but are underused? These shouldn't be animals that it would just be cool to see as logos, but ones that could actually work well. I'll get things going with Cape Buffalo, Pronghorn Antelope, and Caribou.

Walrus

i believe the thinking process is all backwards here. its not enough to pick an original mascot and expect it to work. perhaps the reason you dont see a lot of zebras, aardvarks, kangaroos, etc. is because it wouldnt make sense for an American team. certainly not in professional sports. you know what makes the Tampa Bay Buccs and excellent brand? because of the rich pirate history of that area. their identity has meaning, equity, and value.

but. . . to answer the question; id love to see some more dragons :)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Agree about Rhinos but also roosters are not used as often as they should be. South Carolina, French national teams (Rugby) and one of the Aussie footie teams have rooster mascots but they need to be utelized more.

Also, feral hogs or boars like Razorbacks and Javelinas.

FsQiF2W.png

I wouldn't mind seeing a kangaroo in sports. They're somewhat athletic, considering that they can hop. Probably would be best used for a basketball team.

There are 2 of them at least:

http://www.eventimagecenter.com/300x180/akron_zips300.jpg

http://achahockey.org/news_images/org_134/Image/Team%20Logos/canton.gif

Add in Mizzou-KC - (many other variations available)

umkc_100.gif240px-UMKC.png

A rhino and hippo. I saw a show the other day on Hippos and they are some mean SOB's. Don't let their portly look fool ya. I know when the Baltimore NFL expansion was on the table Baltimore Rhinos was one of the names on the short list. I would not have had a problem with that at all.

San Jose Rhinos, RHI...

2401306990039189772dNgGBF_ph.jpg

Colorado Mammoth, might have been Indoor Lacrosse

Winston-Salem, SHL 1995-96

wsmamm96.gif

i believe the thinking process is all backwards here. its not enough to pick an original mascot and expect it to work. perhaps the reason you dont see a lot of zebras, aardvarks, kangaroos, etc. is because it wouldnt make sense for an American team. certainly not in professional sports. you know what makes the Tampa Bay Buccs and excellent brand? because of the rich pirate history of that area. their identity has meaning, equity, and value.

Agreed. I know a lot of people miss the Bullets identity, but I always equate Washington, DC basketball to the rich wizardry tradition of our nation's capital.

Agreed. I know a lot of people miss the Bullets identity, but I always equate Washington, DC basketball to the rich wizardry tradition of our nation's capital.

I'm all for the logo/identity sets that tie into the history, culture, and ecosystem of an area. But, teams have been using names like Tigers for years. Most of the animals mentioned on here would be used to create an idea that ties into the animal; strength, speed, agility, tenacity, etc.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Archived