Most Underused Animals in Logo Design

hettinger_rl

Someone said they haven't seen "Goats"... Chivas means "Goats" in Spanish... FC Chivas USA play in Los Angeles..

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=eg4hl8flu0sx3flhk7yun65o6

I liked the earlier suggestion for a Walrus as a hockey logo though. That would rule!! Are there currently any hockey clubs that use a Walrus?? San Francisco Walruses or "Walrus" (think: Manitoba Moose) would have made sense had the Sharks not been phoenetically relevant (and had the arena been in SF, not San Jose - not that it matters.) As there are tons of huge sea lions, walrus and seals in the bay (especially Fisherman's Wharf)

This was about as close as I came to finding a cool Walrus logo...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1Uiz2z1rmLs/SehaWYcF5MI/AAAAAAAAACo/8oQb69kmhiM/s320/Walrus%2BLogo%2Bfinal.jpg&imgrefurl=http://40footwalruses.blogspot.com/&usg=__sv3kyml83P0CKr1m0p8cpTXH5qA=&h=320&w=264&sz=24&hl=en&start=0&sig2=C6vXUKjogIIMnPnBOFOd5w&tbnid=N_Qo4_eyMd3YeM:&tbnh=156&tbnw=130&ei=HjRSTMf-BNiAnAf-6JCGAw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwalrus%2Blogo%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D833%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=276&vpy=503&dur=357&hovh=179&hovw=147&tx=120&ty=209&page=1&ndsp=35&ved=1t:429,r:27,s:0

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just came up with the ultimate unused sports mascot. The Blue-Footed Boobies.

These would make amazing mascots and merchandise. I'd buy stuff.

shutterstock_304958.jpg

blue-footed-boobies.jpg

galapagosfamilyvacation10.jpg

Winner! End thread.

Thank you for liking my Boobies.

87Redskins.png

For the poster who brought up bats:

2303776792_7ceb3d5284.jpg

Old Tampa Bay Mutiny logo.

Thank you so much.I have forgot about MLS(considered the 5th sport besides the big 4).

That's a good color scheme so similar to a DC hero whose my SN is based on.

majorleaguebaseball3fi.gif

nflfan8bf.jpg

319rg.jpg

dccomics5vs.png

antimtv.png

• 2 weeks later...

Chimps, monkeys, or other apes.

Since I was a kid I've always loved the monkey/ape animal families. I guess it doesn't scream intimidation, but that is no longer a prereq for a teams name. Names often reflect the area/region when selected, thus the excuse for the necessity of a name that isn't menacing.

With monkeys/apes, guess there can't be a argument for that since they are not indeginous to the US or Canada. I don't think a team HAS to pick a name that reflects the area, and it doesn't always, but I'm awaiting the Gorillas or Monkeys as a team name.

I won't hold my breath.

Edit: just went back and saw some Gorilla/Silverback team namese. Pretty cool, but I was referring to the likelihood of it happening in the 4 major sports.

2ly2w09.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Blue-Footed Boobies would be good, but how about the Titmice? It would kinda look like the Orioles' logo

Tufted_Titmouse-27527-2.jpg

Lately I've been liking the idea of using cryptids (legendary/mythical) creatures for team names: Yeti, sasquatches, phoenixes, chupacabras, etc. A few teams have been named after them. The New Jersey Devils were named after the Jersey Devil, and the Lowell Lock Monsters and Lake Erie Monsters after the Loch Ness Monster. The Kootenay Ice (WHL) have a yeti in their logo.

believew.jpg

I think some school has Camels as their nickname, but outside of that, I've never seen any other school or team use Camels.

Connecticut College and Campbell University

Don't know of many teams named the Roosters. The only team that comes to mind is The North Adelaide Football Club, a state league Australian football team in South Australia.

north-adelaide.gif

Game Cocks are roosters

The French national soccer team logo is a rooster.

6431.gif

Le_nouveau_logo_FFF.png

Though after this world cup, perhaps it should be a plate of chicken wings.

I liked the earlier suggestion for a Walrus as a hockey logo though. That would rule!! Are there currently any hockey clubs that use a Walrus?? San Francisco Walruses or "Walrus" (think: Manitoba Moose) would have made sense had the Sharks not been phoenetically relevant (and had the arena been in SF, not San Jose - not that it matters.) As there are tons of huge sea lions, walrus and seals in the bay (especially Fisherman's Wharf)
Walruses are sentient blobs of fat, so I can't see teams lining up to be them.

Even if the Sharks had stayed downtown, they still shouldn't be called walruses. A return to "San Francisco Seals" would've been kind of cool, but hey, it was the '90s.

I always felt the mongoose was a tenacious little creature. I wouldn't want to be up against a mongoose.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just came up with the ultimate unused sports mascot. The Blue-Footed Boobies.

These would make amazing mascots and merchandise. I'd buy stuff.

shutterstock_304958.jpg

blue-footed-boobies.jpg

galapagosfamilyvacation10.jpg

I think we found a new name for the Nets B)

Brooklyn Blue-Footed Boobies...or just Brooklyn Boobies. I like it.

87Redskins.png

Archived