Padres considering new uniforms in 2011.

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually like this wordmark for the jersey, wouldnt mind seeing this in the current colors.

471px-Don_Zimmer.jpg

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

It's been said before, but I think the Padres should go with either a brown/light blue combo or navy/tan. Either one is a highly underused combination that would definitely stand out, and still fit the scheme of San Diego.

I love the current home script, but the road script is too much its own unique logo rather than a consistent style of the home version. There's an earlier "San Diego" script that used serifs, it may have been from around '69 or '70 that I think would work well in this identity.

Brown, tan, and light blue (all used together, but in proper percentages) would be awesome.

Fifth! Simple and classy. Not a bad thing in baseball. Especially with the two-toned stirrups.

Since I'm a Cubs fan I can't really get behind the Gwynn-era McDonald's uniforms, and I never much cared for the brown-orange that followed. I did, however, like the All-Star Game-era with the blue and Orange, especially the understated road set with the drop-shadow.

Thank you for not quoting all of those pictures for a 5th time :P

I actually like the Padres current set, and have never really understood the love for the brown/yellow look (with the exception of the 1969 version posted here). Their current identity isn't super original/stands out a ton, no, but it's classy-looking. I'd dump the blue alt and call it good.

I agree about not really liking the brown/yellow look. I'm not really a fan of the color brown in general to be honest, so that might be it, but I just think that color combination is pretty garish.

nbc96s.jpg

That was posted as a "tweak" on Uni Watch a while back, and I'm in love with it. I think San Diego could honestly pull off a sky blue-ish road uni.

That script is pure awesome. Props to whoever did that.

6fQjS3M.png

I like the current colors best of the two options (even though they are nothing related to a padre) especially that cookie dough color on their roads.

The problem is...

If they stay the same the look too much like the Rays, Royals, and somewhat like the Jays

If they go Brown and Yellow they look too much like a spin off to the A's

If they go Brown and Orange they look too much like a spin off to the Giants.

Personally, I think they should do what their neighbors the Chargers did, take some from the past and some from the current. Maybe...

Brown or Green, Yellow or Gold, & Light Blue or Navy Blue.

If they go Brown and Yellow they look too much like a spin off to the A's

If they go Brown and Orange they look too much like a spin off to the Giants.

:blink:

I guess you are confused? He's saying that if they go brown/yellow they might look too much like the A's because of the yellow. And if they go brown/orange they might look too much like the Giants, because of the orange. Yellow is an A's color and orange is a Giants color. Right now the 5 CA teams, Angels, Dodgers, Giants, Padres, and A's all emphasize different colors, which (IMO) is a good thing.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I don't think Goth's confused. He's just shocked that someone would think that a brown and gold team is a rip-off of a green and gold team. If the Padres went back to brown and gold (which looks more and more like a good idea each day) I doubt people would confuse them with the A's.

I don't think Goth's confused. He's just shocked that someone would think that a brown and gold team is a rip-off of a green and gold team. If the Padres went back to brown and gold (which looks more and more like a good idea each day) I doubt people would confuse them with the A's.

He's "shocked" about that?

Anyway, the guy said spin-off, not rip-off, I dont think he meant that the Padres would look like they stole someone elses design or anything. He meant that they just would look like another close team. I think he just wants them to get unique colors.

I dont think they should go to brown and gold, but my reason is just because it looks ugly. My reasons have nothing to do with ripoffs or spinoffs.

Yep, I'm surprised that anyone would jump to such a conclusion.

Would anyone look at the A's today and think them a ripoff of the Pirates? Or the Brewers? One shared color does not make a connection, especially when the other primary color is as different as green and brown.

The Rangers are a "spin-off" of the Mets! STOP THE SEASON!

Seriously though, I doubt anyone will think "the Padres look similar to the A's!" if they went back to brown and gold. I want to see them return to it for a few reasons. Their current identity is very bland. They're just one of many MLB teams using navy, and while the sand is unique it's not a strong enough colour to make the uniforms stand out on its own. Brown and gold would not only give the Padres a colour scheme unique to Major League Baseball, but unique to professional sports as a whole. No one else wears the combination, and in my opinion it's easy on the eyes.

Would anyone look at the A's today and think them a ripoff of the Pirates? Or the Brewers? One shared color does not make a connection, especially when the other primary color is as different as green and brown.

...Well, it actually makes a connection. Theres a reason why every team in the MLB doesn't use the same colors. It is so that teams have uniqueness.

I think his point was to keep "regional" teams with unique colors.

...Well, it actually makes a connection. Theres a reason why every team in the MLB doesn't use the same colors. It is so that teams have uniqueness.

No one, save the colourblind, will mistake a brown and gold team and a green and gold team. On top of that the two teams have completely distinct cap logos, names, and mascots. I really don't see room for confusing a brown and gold team with a SD monogram and a friar on their sleeves with a green and gold team with an A's monogram and an elephant on their sleeves. Your entire point is centred around both teams being California clubs and wearing gold as a secondary colour. Not only is that a weak argument in and of itself, but try to tell any California resident that Oakland and San Diego are in the same "region." Northern California and southern California are two distinct geographical and cultural areas.

No one, save the colourblind, will mistake a brown and gold team and a green and gold team. On top of that the two teams have completely distinct cap logos, names, and mascots. I really don't see room for confusing a brown and gold team with a SD monogram and a friar on their sleeves with a green and gold team with an A's monogram and an elephant on their sleeves. Your entire point is centred around both teams being California clubs and wearing gold as a secondary colour. Not only is that a weak argument in and of itself, but try to tell any California resident that Oakland and San Diego are in the same "region." Northern California and southern California are two distinct geographical and cultural areas.

Who said gold was going to be the secondary color, for either team? There have been pretty solid rumors of the A's getting yellow alts. next season.

As for the regions, its relative. Im not talking region as in, "Channel 4 is NBC there" or "They speak funny over there", Im talking region in terms of North American sports divisions. I guess we are going to have to disagree. To me, if two teams are in California, they are "regionally similar" in the grand scheme of North American sports leagues.

Who said gold was going to be the secondary color, for either team? There have been pretty solid rumors of the A's getting yellow alts. next season.

Then you'll be talking about a gold team v. a brown team. Even less chance for confusion.

As for the regions, its relative. Im not talking region as in, "Channel 4 is NBC there" or "They speak funny over there", Im talking region in terms of North American sports divisions. I guess we are going to have to disagree. To me, if two teams are in California, they are "regionally similar" in the grand scheme of North American sports leagues.

I don't know where you are, but I highly doubt it's California. :D

Archived