Padres considering new uniforms in 2011.

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Goth's confused. He's just shocked that someone would think that a brown and gold team is a rip-off of a green and gold team. If the Padres went back to brown and gold (which looks more and more like a good idea each day) I doubt people would confuse them with the A's.

He's "shocked" about that?

Anyway, the guy said spin-off, not rip-off, I dont think he meant that the Padres would look like they stole someone elses design or anything. He meant that they just would look like another close team. I think he just wants them to get unique colors.

I dont think they should go to brown and gold, but my reason is just because it looks ugly. My reasons have nothing to do with ripoffs or spinoffs.

Yes, if you look at the old old padres uniforms then no they won't clash, but if you look at that pic right above my other post I don't know how you can't see the A's in that. And if the lighting isn't too bright it could look like a Pirates throwback.

I also forgot to mention the Orioles as a team they may look like depending on what type of gold they would go with.

More reason to make it unique and blend the colors of the past with the colors of the present.

Nothing against Padres fans, but hopefully they don't go to or win the World Series so they don't get superstitious like the Rays did and leave their uniforms alone.

6873.gif13-3. 1st place in NFC West. 1 fumble away from Super Bowl 46.

1hrqvo4oaipg1j7eboaxh4bgu.gif. 40-26. Lost in Conference Semifinals

zroew6i4sougyzvje4p5vl1xr.gif34-36-12 80 Points. Painfully watching the rivals win the Cup.

2908.gif 28-26. 3 GB of AL East lead. Starting to turn around the season.

Nothing against Padres fans, but hopefully they don't go to or win the World Series so they don't get superstitious like the Rays did and leave their uniforms alone.

I don't know what you are talking about, other than TB having been rumored to put Tampa Bay on the road unis in the second year. They went to the World Series in the first year of their current identity. They have added two alternate jerseys since then. Also, if the Pads are changing for 2011, it has already been decided upon.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I keep hearing from all these Padres fans that it is only going to be a tweak of what they have now and if that is the case I think they will have missed a golden oppurtunity to reclaim a unique idenity. Too Bad.

It's amazing to me how both the Padres and Chargers had incredibly popular color schemes and well designed uniforms in the 60s and early 70s and have downgraded ever since. Maybe they just had it so good, so easy, that they could truly appreciate what they had. What was in the water back then and can we get it back?

I don't think Goth's confused. He's just shocked that someone would think that a brown and gold team is a rip-off of a green and gold team. If the Padres went back to brown and gold (which looks more and more like a good idea each day) I doubt people would confuse them with the A's.

He's "shocked" about that?

Anyway, the guy said spin-off, not rip-off, I dont think he meant that the Padres would look like they stole someone elses design or anything. He meant that they just would look like another close team. I think he just wants them to get unique colors.

I dont think they should go to brown and gold, but my reason is just because it looks ugly. My reasons have nothing to do with ripoffs or spinoffs.

Yes, if you look at the old old padres uniforms then no they won't clash, but if you look at that pic right above my other post I don't know how you can't see the A's in that. And if the lighting isn't too bright it could look like a Pirates throwback.

I also forgot to mention the Orioles as a team they may look like depending on what type of gold they would go with.

More reason to make it unique and blend the colors of the past with the colors of the present.

No, I'm sorry. I disagree. I don't look at the Padres in brown and gold and see the A's. I think you and loogodude are in a small minority with that assumption.

When I think green and gold, I think Packers and Athletics and many high school teams in my area. When I think brown and gold, I think San Diego Padres of the past. My point is, there are many teams that have a green and gold color scheme, and they could be considered "rip-offs" of the Athletics. But brown and gold shares no resemblance as a whole to green and gold, and yet you still think it is a "rip-off"/"spin-off"?

The color schemes are completely different. It's all about how the colors look together, it's not about each individual color. When you compare teams with only one color in common, it is a weak argument to say that they are stealing the identity or color scheme. If we were to link together teams with one color in common, it would be a never ending chain of colors.

Anyway, if the Padres were to go back to a brown-gold color scheme, it would not appear to be "identical" to the A's scheme just because they are in the same state. The two cities are hundreds of miles away, farther than teams from completely different states, such as Minnesota and Wisconsin, that may have one color in common. California is not a normal-sized state, so you can't ban a team in Southern California from color-pirating from a team 200-300 miles north in Oakland just because they are within the same boundary.

Rants are easy to type when you are passionate about the subject.

Punch9

Who said gold was going to be the secondary color, for either team? There have been pretty solid rumors of the A's getting yellow alts. next season.

Then you'll be talking about a gold team v. a brown team. Even less chance for confusion.

As for the regions, its relative. Im not talking region as in, "Channel 4 is NBC there" or "They speak funny over there", Im talking region in terms of North American sports divisions. I guess we are going to have to disagree. To me, if two teams are in California, they are "regionally similar" in the grand scheme of North American sports leagues.

I don't know where you are, but I highly doubt it's California. :D

"Then you'll be talking about a gold team v. a brown team. Even less chance for confusion."

That's IF the Padres make their gold a secondary color (i.e. no Yellow alternate).

"I don't know where you are, but I highly doubt it's California. :D"

You are right. I am not in California.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

When I think green and gold, I think Packers and Athletics and many high school teams in my area. When I think brown and gold, I think San Diego Padres of the past. My point is, there are many teams that have a green and gold color scheme, and they could be considered "rip-offs" of the Athletics. But brown and gold shares no resemblance as a whole to green and gold, and yet you still think it is a "rip-off"/"spin-off"?

The color schemes are completely different. It's all about how the colors look together, it's not about each individual color. When you compare teams with only one color in common, it is a weak argument to say that they are stealing the identity or color scheme. If we were to link together teams with one color in common, it would be a never ending chain of colors.

Anyway, if the Padres were to go back to a brown-gold color scheme, it would not appear to be "identical" to the A's scheme just because they are in the same state. The two cities are hundreds of miles away, farther than teams from completely different states, such as Minnesota and Wisconsin, that may have one color in common. California is not a normal-sized state, so you can't ban a team in Southern California from color-pirating from a team 200-300 miles north in Oakland just because they are within the same boundary.

Punch9

I dont think anyone said anything about the Padres looking "identical" to the A's. And again, no one said anything about the Padres "stealing", "color-pirating", or anything like that.

You are just taking the argument that the Padres should get unique colors and making it sound extreme by using those words.

And anyway, it's still California. I don't care about Minnesota and Milwaukee. It's the same STATE.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

State borders don't actually mean all that much in practice.

Most of New Jersey is suburbs, either New York or Philadelphia. Doesn't matter that the suburbs fall on the other side of an arbitrary line on a map.

Oakland is nearly five hundred miles away from San Diego. Or about the distance from Chicago to Alabama. You're talking two very different cultures, regardless of the accident of geography which led to not having to cross a state border in that eight-hour drive.

Punch9

I dont think anyone said anything about the Padres looking "identical" to the A's. And again, no one said anything about the Padres "stealing", "color-pirating", or anything like that.

You are just taking the argument that the Padres should get unique colors and making it sound extreme by using those words.

And anyway, it's still California. I don't care about Minnesota and Milwaukee. It's the same STATE.

"Stealing" isn't an extreme word. But, I must use extreme words in order to get my point across. It is the same state, but the two cities are 500 miles away. There are many examples of teams from different states that have similar color schemes, and they are some 200-300 miles closer to each other than Oakland and San Diego.

Those two cities may both be in California, but California is the longest state in the nation. You could easily separate it into 2-3 parts. You cannot say all of California has one culture. The Padres can use gold as a secondary color. The A's also have the right to use it. In fact, every team has the right to use it.

You are arguing that San Diego shouldn't use brown and gold? They practically inventedmulti-colored uniforms, so I say they can do anything.

If "looks like" means "they're both non-white / non-grey baseball uniforms", then yes. But in no other way do they look alike.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

If "looks like" means "they're both non-white / non-grey baseball uniforms", then yes. But in no other way do they look alike.

Why is this "Brown / Gold" looks like "green / Gold" even a discussion? Seriously? Lets make this a simple as possible... if you confuse brown and gold with green and gold you are a complete idiot. Period.

Why is this "Brown / Gold" looks like "green / Gold" even a discussion? Seriously? Lets make this a simple as possible... if you confuse brown and gold with green and gold you are a complete idiot. Period.

Completely agree. You may not be an idiot, but you are color blind at the least.

Archived