Gary

2010 NCAA Football Thread

What does the BCS have to do with the NFL?

I think you're over-analyzing the whole "upset"/"underdog" thing. You say that SEC fans defend the BCS because SEC teams always seem to win the National Championship. Well maybe that's because the SEC has the all-around better teams? The fact that the SEC teams always seem to win the National Title says something, doesn't it? No one seemed to complain when the NFC won every Super Bowl between 1985 and 1997.

Extend that further. Why are the automatic qualifier conferences automatic qualifiers? Because they have the, on average, the best programs.

The BCS does have its fair share of problems, but really, claiming that teams like BSU and TCU would suddenly walk over the elite teams from the automatic qualifiers if only given the chance sounds like a far-flung fantasy.

I'm not saying that BSU and TCU would beat all the top programs by 70 in the playoffs. I am saying that, based on their current track records against elite programs, Boise and TCU have proven that they can consistently beat them, and programs like theirs deserve a real chance to do that in the postseason.

And furthermore, upsets do happen. That's part of the appeal of a playoff system. You're arguing that people shouldn't expect non-AQ schools to beat AQ schools all the time if college football gets a playoff. I agree, but the opposite is also true - you can't assume that AQ schools will always beat non-AQ schools. But that's exactly what the BCS does assume and that's why it's such a flawed system.

How do you organize such a playoff, though? The NCAA football landscape seems like a rather difficult one to navigate. To many people wanting a piece of the pie. The BCS, for all of its problems (and it does have a fair share of problems) manages to hold the whole thing together, if just barely.

How do you organize such a playoff, though? The NCAA football landscape seems like a rather difficult one to navigate. To many people wanting a piece of the pie. The BCS, for all of its problems (and it does have a fair share of problems) manages to hold the whole thing together, if just barely.

It claims to hold the thing together. Really its just a self-interested profit-minded cabal of a few top Bowls who try to rake in the riches off the backs of the tuition dollars of the undergraduate student population.

As for letting teams in, maybe top 8 or 16. The problem with the current system is that you are trying to figure out the best two resumes out of 5-10 incredibly similar ones...and there is no real objective way to just sort out 2.

jerry-jones.jpg

"Just come on in, we're waiting for ya."

A big part of me knows it'll never happen, but a small part of me wishes this was a death knell for the BCS.

I wouldn't be surprised if the other BCS bowls started getting investigated. This could very well bring down the BCS.

No it won't. All the bowls act this way. It's just the good ol' boy network that the BCS supposidly replaced. Bowls aren't created for the fans or for the teams, they are created for the egos of each bowl game committee and how they can profit off the schools and the fans and of course ESPN.

jerry-jones.jpg

The other person who may be getting excited is Arthur Blank as in the event of the Fiesta Bowl getting stripped of BCS status and a "Plus 1" game added, he could get his desired new stadium

I wouldn't be surprised if the other BCS bowls started getting investigated. This could very well bring down the BCS.

The Orange Bowl is already under investigation for giving out cruises to athletic directors and other state employees as gifts Plus, if they go after a bowl, the IRS should go after the NHRA first as they claim not-for-profit status as a series but takes three times more revenue more than a BCS bowl game and their CEO made twice as much as Junker.

jerry-jones.jpg

My FIRST thoughts exactly....

We'll take it. :welcome:

Ultimatley the NCAA is a fraud and the only ones who have to live by the letter of the law are athletees who cant even get a simple tatoo for an autograph.

Since they are dead-set in keeping the "amateur" aspect alive in college athletics, I can see why the NCAA did this. If they allow Ohio State players to get tattoos for autographs, what's stopping a Michigan player giving autographs to his landlord for free rent or a Penn State player giving some autographs for a car? Sure, a tattoo is nothing, but some boosters will use any precedent to try to gain a competitive edge.

Also, while we think these things may be common in the $$$ sports, the NCAA wants to keep the non-money sports clean too. If you let football players sell stuff what's to stop a prominent lacrosse alum of North Carolina who owns a car dealership from taking autographs and giving them cars. In big-time football there is a big gap between the haves and the have-nots, but in the smaller sports where only a few teams are consistently good, there's an even bigger % difference in the money that is at a program's disposal. Any advantage the big schools would get by having these shady dealings would be multiplied 10 fold.

...and yes I know the whole idea is a joke as there's nothing that can stop $100 handshakes, but these crazy rules are for PR purposes to appeal to the "casual" college sports fan who is turned off by the $$$ aspect of the pros. The NCAA is more of a PR machine than a "regulating body".

Ultimatley the NCAA is a fraud and the only ones who have to live by the letter of the law are athletees who cant even get a simple tatoo for an autograph.

This was only the BCS' sanction Tank. The NCAA's (if any) is pending.

Granted telling the Fiesta Bowl to give a million dollars to charity....which is kind of their theoretical raison d'etre to begin with as a nonprofit is rather comical.

And the NCAA is (presumably anyway-poor Youngstown State is probably going to take the bullet for OSU) more hacked off over the whole "Tressel deliberately obstructed the entire thing and lied about it to the NCAA to win a Bowl game" bit than the actual offense. Now those automobiles that were bought for (far) less than fair market value...

Really the joke here is that Boise State got slapped with the "lack of institutional control" bit and Ohio State hasn't...yet.

The joke is the NCAA has selective enforcement that is very inconsistent.

The joke is the NCAA has selective enforcement that is very inconsistent.

What's the bigger joke, the NCAA or the Phoenix Coyotes situation?

Wow tough question.

The NCAA is just corrupt, while the NHL is just being stupid.

Earlier this week, the NCAA did give reporters, including SI's Seth Davis, a tutorial called the NCAA Enforcement Experience, which gave a deeper look into how they investigate their member schools.

Seth Davis:

The Enforcement Experience was modeled after the mock selection seminar the NCAA holds each February to teach the media about the process for selecting and seeding the men's basketball tournament. The NCAA's new president, Mark Emmert, has said he wants to make everything about his association more transparent, and no area needs more transparency right now than enforcement. Said Emmert, "To the extent that we can provide you and your colleagues with better information, we want to do it."

Fellow SI writer, Stewart Mandel and Jon Solomon from The Birmingham News also attended and here is Solomon's story.