2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

I'm calling it now: Boise State vs. Ohio State for all the marbles. Or at least Boise State vs. anyone. Kellen Moore is amazing and one of the best quarterbacks in college football right now, a true Heisman contender. To all the haters that whine about their conference and their schedule: do not count out the Broncos. They're for real.

How is it whining or hating when people make the very legitimate point that Boise State's conference schedule isn't as tough as a conference schedule in the SEC, Big Ten, PAC-10, etc.? Boise may be a legitimate contender but let's not get carried away with things when it comes to their conference schedule. It simply isn't as tough for Boise as it is for bigger schools. That isn't whining or "hating" that's just a fact.

That said, I'll gladly take an Ohio State - Boise State title game. I don't think Ohio State will get there but I won't complain if they do.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point, infrared. It's an honest to god fact that the WAC is far weaker in terms of a conference in terms of football then when you compare it to the SEC or the Big XII or the Big Ten or even the Pac 10.

But, the opening game against Virginia Tech at FedEx Field on Labor Day is a make or break game for not only Boise State, but for the WAC and for the Mountain West. Should Boise State win this game, they could have a chance to run through the entire season unbeaten (The remaining threats after Labor Day are Oregon State and Nevada). This would give the WAC a chance to possibly have it's first National Champion since BYU was a member in 1983.

It's also huge for the Mountain West because the Broncos join the MWC next season as the de facto replacement for Utah, who is moving to the Pac-10. Imagine seeing Boise State join the Mountain West next season as the defending National Champions... That would be a massive feather in that conference's cap.

I understand that the WAC is weak, but it's not Boise State's fault that it took forever for them to be invited to a stronger conference. Now, they're most likely going to move to the MWC in a few years, which invalidates the conference argument.

As for the schedule as a whole, same thing. It's not Boise State's fault that tradition schools saw when they upset Oklahoma and now refuse to schedule them.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I understand that the WAC is weak, but it's not Boise State's fault that it took forever for them to be invited to a stronger conference. Now, they're most likely going to move to the MWC in a few years, which invalidates the conference argument.

As for the schedule as a whole, same thing. It's not Boise State's fault that tradition schools saw when they upset Oklahoma and now refuse to schedule them.

In a few years maybe but not today. Calling their conference schedule weak isn't a knock on Boise State. They've proven they can play with the big boys. But no one is going to buy the argument that their schedule is as tough as that of a school from a traditional powerhouse conference. And Boise State isn't the only school that the powerhouses won't play on their non-conference schedule. For the most part, you don't see the big schools lining up anyone from the top 25. It's not just Boise that they're refusing to schedule.

I'm not knocking Boise State. I'm knocking your "whining and hating" comment. Your argument wasn't valid.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm calling it now: Boise State vs. Ohio State for all the marbles. Or at least Boise State vs. anyone. Kellen Moore is amazing and one of the best quarterbacks in college football right now, a true Heisman contender. To all the haters that whine about their conference and their schedule: do not count out the Broncos. They're for real.

You have to beat Virginia Tech first. Which isn't a given.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Out of all the gridiron football leagues/associations, my favorite by far is the NFL. Maybe I could get into college football if they change how they decide their champion (but that debate is for another time.) Still though, I'll probably watch a game or two and maybe make a few more posts in this thread, but for those who like college football, enjoy the season.

So basically you stopped by to tell us that you don't like college football and you aren't interested in this thread? Thanks for the input. B)

No, just saying how I have a small interest in the sport, a sport that I feel would be much better off deciding their champion in a different way, but then again, why should they change it to appease the one guy who doesn't like how it currently is because with all the hate towards how the rankings and champion are determined, people come back hungrier every season.

Carry on.

It's tough for me predict a national champion heading in, So many unknowns.

Ohio State is probably at there best right now, Alabama will not go peacefully into the night, ACC looks to be on the rebound with Miami finally looking like they want to get back in on the BCS party, Virginia Tech looks really good as well and if Boise State can get by the Hokies and Beavers look out.

A year where USC is in the toilet and Texas and Florida aren't really "Contenders" should be very interesting Fall.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I can see any team in the six BCS conferences making it to the title game if they are unblemished. Unfortunately, I can't see any other team doing the same - it's just the way the voters are. Sorry, Boise State.

LvZYtbZ.png

I can see any team in the six BCS conferences making it to the title game if they are unblemished. Unfortunately, I can't see any other team doing the same - it's just the way the voters are. Sorry, Boise State.

Note Notre Dame who should have an undefeated season and the ass kissing of Jesus to make the Championship Game in Glendale.

Note Notre Dame who should have an undefeated season and the ass kissing of Jesus to make the Championship Game in Glendale.

Inb4 "Notre Dame should not go to the National Championship (even if they go undefeated) because they are not in a conference" or any other similar talk. Please, I don't want this thread to balloon because people are arguing over Will's inane views on Notre Dame. I'm just going to say this: If ND loses 2 games they're in the picture. One loss = media trying to get them into the championship. Undefeated = no way that they DON'T get in. Notre Dame could have an incredibly soft schedule, but if any of those situations occur, there will be national championship talk for the Golden Domers. That's just how it is.

But yeah, until Boise State leaves the WAC, their chances at a National Title are this: Go undefeated, and hope the rest of the top teams from the BCS in the national title picture trip up once or twice. They are not going to go to the title game just by going undefeated, they will need help. That's how it is right now for them and any other "mid-major" school that's in the Top 25.

Please, I don't want this thread to balloon because people are arguing over Will's inane insane views on Notre Dame.

Hope you don't mind Flame but I had to make a slight change in your post. You're too good a guy to say it so I took the liberty of changing the post to reflect the reality. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Notre Dame in the National Championship picture?

Not going to happen. You see, that would mean Brian Kelly would have to pull a miracle out of his ass, and despite the success he's had over the years, there is no bigger pressure cooker in College Sports then being the Head Coach of Notre Dame Football. They'll get 8 or 9 wins, but saying they can win the National Championship is far too much to ask.

Please, I don't want this thread to balloon because people are arguing over Will's inane insane views on Notre Dame.

Hope you don't mind Flame but I had to make a slight change in your post. You're too good a guy to say it so I took the liberty of changing the post to reflect the reality. :D

lol, you said it, not me. :P

Notre Dame in the National Championship picture?

Not going to happen. You see, that would mean Brian Kelly would have to pull a miracle out of his ass, and despite the success he's had over the years, there is no bigger pressure cooker in College Sports then being the Head Coach of Notre Dame Football. They'll get 8 or 9 wins, but saying they can win the National Championship is far too much to ask.

Oh no doubt. ND's last good chance was the Bush Push, unless they can rally the recruiting base, I don't seriously see them getting into the BCS picture anytime soon, unless, like you said, Kelly pulls off a miracle & pulls off the "return to glory."

But yeah, until Boise State leaves the WAC, their chances at a National Title are this: Go undefeated, and hope the rest of the top teams from the BCS in the national title picture trip up once or twice. They are not going to go to the title game just by going undefeated, they will need help. That's how it is right now for them and any other "mid-major" school that's in the Top 25.

And that is precisely why the BC$ is such bull :censored: and needs to be replaced with a playoff system. For the most part, people don't watch March Madness to see Duke, they watch to see Butler. In college football, we never get a Butler. Instead, we get to settle for Boise State winning the Fiesta Bowl instead of the national title they should have been allowed to play for last year.

If Boise beats Virginia Tech in Week 1, that'll be the first slip-up they'll need as well as their signature win. The Broncs really need that game.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I still get chills watching the Statue of Liberty play. Boise State over Oklahoma is without question the most exciting college football game of all time.

I'd put the 2005 USC vs Texas Rose Bowl ahead of it, but definitely my number 2.

That Rose Bowl had all the most intense hype for the month before it as the first time the BCS really got it "right" with the championship game. And then from start to finish, up and down, swings and swings, Bush running free and lateralling the ball back and losing it, LenDale White getting stood up by the Texas D on the 4th and 1, Vince Young coming back for more every single time including that final run past the USC defense.

That Fiesta Bowl is the greatest finish I can remember, especially with the circumstances of the game as a whole. But the 2005 Rose Bowl is the greatest game of my lifetime.

-----------------

I just can not wait for football season. Especially with my first year on a real college campus and going to Division one football games every other week and finally having a true emotional investment in the team.

Speaking of, my BCS champ prediction - ASU :P . Yeah most likely probably not, but I can dream right?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I still get chills watching the Statue of Liberty play. Boise State over Oklahoma is without question the most exciting college football game of all time.

I'd put the 2005 USC vs Texas Rose Bowl ahead of it, but definitely my number 2.

That Rose Bowl had all the most intense hype for the month before it as the first time the BCS really got it "right" with the championship game. And then from start to finish, up and down, swings and swings, Bush running free and lateralling the ball back and losing it, LenDale White getting stood up by the Texas D on the 4th and 1, Vince Young coming back for more every single time including that final run past the USC defense.

That Fiesta Bowl is the greatest finish I can remember, especially with the circumstances of the game as a whole. But the 2005 Rose Bowl is the greatest game of my lifetime.

Agreed 100%. The level of play in that game was incredibly high, and then the drama was high, considering it was basically for all of the marbles. What a game, I could watch that game again and again and never get bored with it.

A close 2nd, IMO, would be the 2006 Ohio State-Michigan game. One of the most heated rivalries in all of college football, OSU was #1, Michigan #2, and winner earned themselves a spot in the national title and they both played their asses off. What a game. I love college football.

Archived