2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love it. I don't even say "Notre Dame" and you figure I'm railing against them. Honestly, they should be losing eight members of the football team after the recent incident but that's just me.

You know how charger77 used to sign his posts, "-Dan" for a while? You should totally have "but that's just me" as your signature. Honestly, when people say, "but that's just me" it's really not just them. However, when you say it, I can say with as close to absolute certainty as I've ever been able to say anything ever, yes, will, it really is just you. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I still get chills watching the Statue of Liberty play. Boise State over Oklahoma is without question the most exciting college football game of all time.

I'd put the 2005 USC vs Texas Rose Bowl ahead of it, but definitely my number 2.

That Rose Bowl had all the most intense hype for the month before it as the first time the BCS really got it "right" with the championship game. And then from start to finish, up and down, swings and swings, Bush running free and lateralling the ball back and losing it, LenDale White getting stood up by the Texas D on the 4th and 1, Vince Young coming back for more every single time including that final run past the USC defense.

That Fiesta Bowl is the greatest finish I can remember, especially with the circumstances of the game as a whole. But the 2005 Rose Bowl is the greatest game of my lifetime.

-----------------

I just can not wait for football season. Especially with my first year on a real college campus and going to Division one football games every other week and finally having a true emotional investment in the team.

Speaking of, my BCS champ prediction - ASU tongue.gif . Yeah most likely probably not, but I can dream right?

As long as Erickson is HC, that will never happen. I think they will get 3rd place and play in the Sun Bowl if lucky. I would love for my alumni to reach the game, but no way will it happen

Speaking of Arizona State: Portland State AND Northern Arizona?? Dude, that's major league weaksauce for an OoC schedule. I don't care if they go to Wisconsin, that game is outweighed by the fact they have to schdule two middling Big Sky teams for OoC games. At least have the nerve to play schools that are within the area like San Diego State or New Mexico.

I understand that schedules are done ahead of time, but two FCS teams is a very bad sign of how your program is.

Yeah I know, hence the :P next to the prediction.

I remember looking at the schedule as I was buying the student tickets and made that observation myself. Pretty weak, and then the one "big" OoC game is away at Wisconsin of all places.

And yeah, I've never been all that into Erickson as a coach. I see 3 should wins with Portland, NAU, and Wazzu, then maybe 2-3 50-50 games, and then just hope that the football gods smile on the Devils for an upset or three, and then just give it their all against UofA root like hell for a victory. I'll just be happy to be in the atmosphere of D-1 college football on a weekly basis and enjoy the experience. I'll also just have to look for the success of some of the individual players like LB Vontaze Burfict, who was recently named to the Sporting News' First-Team All-America.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I could see a 6-7 win season this year if they rely on their defense as it is going to be underrated. I see some good things coming from Threet. Erickson is the weak link. There are many good players in Arizona and yet he goes for the leftovers of USC and UCLA. I think you get a coach that is from a college in one of the lesser conferences that has proven themselves I think they can go places. But than again, this is ASU

Another player, Marcell Dareus (Alabama), is being investigated for breaking NCAA rules by attending an agent-related party in Florida earlier this summer.

UNC, South Carolina, and Alabama each have players who have been linked to this party. There are more from other schools to follow, that is for sure.

SEC Media Day begins tomorrow.

Speaking of Arizona State: Portland State AND Northern Arizona?? Dude, that's major league weaksauce for an OoC schedule. I don't care if they go to Wisconsin, that game is outweighed by the fact they have to schdule two middling Big Sky teams for OoC games. At least have the nerve to play schools that are within the area like San Diego State or New Mexico.

I understand that schedules are done ahead of time, but two FCS teams is a very bad sign of how your program is.

Kansas State did that seemingly for years under Bill Snyder.

/Indiana's contemptible non-Conference schedule is Akron, Arkasas State, Western Kentucky, and the Maryland School for the Blind Towson.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

/Indiana's contemptible non-Conference schedule is Akron, Arkansas State, Western Kentucky, and the Maryland School for the Blind Towson.

But, K-State never stooped to the low of playing two FCS schools in the same season under Snyder until last season, which in turn backfired on them because they missed on a bowl game after going 6-6, but two wins came against FCS teams.

I get the idea of one FCS team on your schedule. You get a nice and easy opponent for a home game, they get a nice paycheck for what is essentially a curbstomp and the home team gets a win that gets them closer to a bowl game. Two FCS teams (This year's offenders, BTW, are Arizona State, Ball State, San Jose State, Syracuse and Virginia) is just sad and pathetic. You mean to tell me that, in the case of the three BCS teams here, they couldn't get a Sun Belt team or a lower level C-USA team at home? In the case of Ball State and San Jose State, why not play each other?

/Indiana's contemptible non-Conference schedule is Akron, Arkansas State, Western Kentucky, and the Maryland School for the Blind Towson.

But, K-State never stooped to the low of playing two FCS schools in the same season under Snyder until last season, which in turn backfired on them because they missed on a bowl game after going 6-6, but two wins came against FCS teams.

I get the idea of one FCS team on your schedule. You get a nice and easy opponent for a home game, they get a nice paycheck for what is essentially a curbstomp and the home team gets a win that gets them closer to a bowl game. Two FCS teams (This year's offenders, BTW, are Arizona State, Ball State, San Jose State, Syracuse and Virginia) is just sad and pathetic. You mean to tell me that, in the case of the three BCS teams here, they couldn't get a Sun Belt team or a lower level C-USA team at home? In the case of Ball State and San Jose State, why not play each other?

Virginia could actually lose to both I-AA teams.

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

They couldn't find anyone who wanted to play them. Thus, they have to win seven games to be bowl eligible. :D

I just don't see that happening. They'll have their third straight losing season, Erickson will get fired or retire and ASU will continue to be the second program in Arizona. We may lose bowls 33-0 but at least we get there in the first place.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

They couldn't find anyone who wanted to play them. Thus, they have to win seven games to be bowl eligible. :D

I just don't see that happening. They'll have their third straight losing season, Erickson will get fired or retire and ASU will continue to be the second program in Arizona. We may lose bowls 33-0 but at least we get there in the first place.

It'd be extra sweet to get that 7th win in Tuscon :D

You like to talk, but that's alright. I like a feisty rivalry. I see a sig bet in our futures :lol: (Even if I secretly think you are right :P )

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

It'd be extra sweet to get that 7th win in Tuscon :D

You like to talk, but that's alright. I like a feisty rivalry. I see a sig bet in our futures :lol: (Even if I secretly think you are right :P )

Believe me, I'm as big of an Arizona sports fan as they come, which is funny since I only started following Arizona sports when I started at the University and I didn't even know there was a University of Arizona in 1997. However, you will be hard-pressed to find a student more committed to the teams. After all, I was one of the top 20 Zona Zoo points earners for last year and got to attend the athletics award banquet and be recognized (as part of the group of Zona Zoo people, not individually) as a result.

Another forum I post on only lets you have a signature if you're a paid subscriber, so I had an avatar bet with an ASU fan over last year's game. This was his avatar from the day of the game until the beginning of bowl season:

005a36c0.jpg

If I had an iPhone, I'd tell you that I'll send you a message about what your sig will be from on the field after we rush it post-victory. Unfortunately, I don't have an iPhone or anything comparable, so you'll just have to wait until after we stop partying on the field and after I see The Pride of Arizona play a victory concert at the Admin Building. :D:D

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Well, just my early thoughts and projections on my alma maters and the SEC....

My alma maters, LSU and Georgia Tech... LSU will once again be "blah", another typical 8-4 or 7-5 season; no chance of winning the SEC West, probably won't play in a New Year's Day Bowl. They need an o-line, and lost some key players this past year but don't seem to have the back-ups or recruits needed to make anyone excited... the Labor Day weekend opener against UNC at Atlanta will be tougher than people think.... Methinks that Les Miles has been running on magic and miracles a lot lately, and some of his luck is running out.

Georgia Tech is coming off of a conference championship year, but somehow I just can't get excited about this team. Like my LSU Tigers, my Yellowjackets lost in their bowl game and that leaves a sort of bad taste in my mouth... They'll probably wind up about the same as LSU-- 7-5 or 8-4, but out of the conference championship hunt.

In the SEC, it may be wishful thinking, but I expect Alabama will fall back to earth. The SEC in general will be a mess this year, with Florida losing Tebow and almost Urban Meyer, Fla and South Carolina being investigated, Tennessee losing their coach to USC, Vandy's coach quitting a few months before the season starts, etc. Maybe this will be the year for two "new" teams in the SEC championship-- Ole Miss is well coached with Houston Nutt despite the loss of (overrated) QB Jevan Snead and RB Dexter McCluster, and maybe the Ol' Ball coach will fnally get the Gamecocks there... I doubt that an SEC team will get even a whiff of the BCS game....

It is what it is.

Right now my going out on a limb national title prediction.

#1 Alabama vs. #2 Virginia Tech

I see Ohio State faltering somewhere along the line, quite possibly in there trip to Iowa City. Also making them lose there Rose Bowl opportunity.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Lane Kiffin hires away Tennessee Titans coach, irks Jeff Fisher

Next up for Lane Kiffin: burning the state of Tennessee to the ground, border to border.

But wait, there's more! The Titans have filed a lawsuit against Lane Kiffin and USC for stealing Pola away.

"USC and Kiffin maliciously intended to -- and did -- induce Pola to breach the Pola contract," the lawsuit charges.

Maurice Clarett is out of jail, and back at tOSU...taking classes.

Kinda ironic that he tried so hard to get into the NFL early (which ended up de-railing his NFL career before it even began), and now here he is: back at Ohio State.

At least he has the good sense to go back to college and continue working towards his degree. Smart move on his part.

Archived