2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

And as for your thinly-veiled "Boise wouldn't survive in the SEC" argument, statistics-based simulations prove otherwise.

That's nice and pretty, but something tells me I can't trust a simulation based on statistics against opponents which I consider to be unworthy of comparison. 550 yards of offense against San Jose state is equal to how many total yards against someone like Ole Miss...how can that possibly be calculated when there are so many variables- for one, playing those teams WEEK TO WEEK. I can't stress that enough. That simulation is based up a set of numbers and statistics to be compared against each game- it doesn't take many of the important real variables into play. Still fun to read, so thanks for that link.

I'm not trying to be a homer here - although I may be coming across as one - but as a Boise State fan, I'm beyond tired of having to always defend my team because no win is ever good enough and other fans just love to find anything to rip Boise to shreds for.

I should have made it clear I have nothing against Boise State. In fact, I have a lot of respect for what they have been able to accomplish and their ability to stay relevant and rise to the occasion when the popular opinion, deep inside of many football fans, is against you. Can they play with some of the best teams? Certainly. I don't think the voters would hold Boise State in such high esteem if they didn't think they couldn't. My thing is, could they do it every week and survive...like many of those teams in the polls are having to do? That has to be taken into consideration in my opinion, if I was a voter, on whether or not someone like Oregon is worthy of skipping Boise State in the polls. When it's all said and done, Boise State has to coast through the season and do what is expected of them. Meanwhile, many other teams have to fight every week to pull off the unexpected in small hopes that those computer calculations fall their way.

In other news, I was pretty confident about a chance for an upset this coming week in Columbia with what we can bring to the table...until I watched that Bama/Florida game Saturday night. Someone tell me Alabama isn't as good as they appear to be and we have good shot at the upset.

Random Trivia: Has any team ever upset the #1 team in all 3 major sports in a single year? We upset Kentucky last season in basketball and ASU in baseball. Just curious if anyone can remember whether their team has accomplished this feat.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously dude, it's time to stop with the "people are afraid to play Boise State" bull- :censored:.

I wouldn't say it's bull :censored:. Many tradition schools disrespect Boise State and their non-AQ bretheren constantly, but either duck them entirely come schedule time or wilt when it's time to play them in a bowl.

I distinctly remember Oklahoma's athletic director saying that Oklahoma would never play Boise again after the Fiesta Bowl in '07. We haven't played an SEC school (except Ole Miss is coming up next year IIRC) since the Fiesta Bowl, and Boise used to be one of the SEC's favorite cupcakes. Maybe fear isn't the best word to use, but larger schools have certainly taken notice that Boise can hang with and beat other tradition schools, and they're realizing, "Holy crap, that could be us losing, we'd better not schedule them."

Why would Ohio State, who gets 100,000+ for a home game, want to trade home dates with a school whose stadium is the size of the student section at the 'Shoe? Once Boise gives up on getting home and home games they'll have no trouble lining up "big name" non-conference games.

Oregon and Oregon State had absolutely no problem with doing a home-and-home with Boise, and they're both pretty prominent AQ schools in a competitive conference that makes a lot of money. They gave up profits by coming to Boise. Ohio State could do the same - they'd survive.

For the record, I would love to see Boise and Ohio State play anywhere, even without a home-and-home. It would certainly be an exciting and competitive game. (If Ohio State could hypothetically get their crap together on offense before the game, that is. :P)

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Denard would be on a stretcher trying to play like that in the SEC, where you earn every win.

Yeah, because Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Ole Miss, and Kentucky are so tough these days, right?

Every conference is going to have teams that don't look good in comparison to their opponents/conference (look at the teams you posted and where their losses have come from thus far)...however, in my opinion, the worst of the SEC would still beat the worst of any other conference in most cases. Just like the best of the SEC would do to the best of other conferences.

I just get tired of all the obligatory hype that ESPN and other sports networks must give to Big 10/12 teams when we know how it all ends...they beat up the poor teams in their conference, get a title shot and get creamed by the SEC champion...with Ohio State being the worst offender (that story gets so old).

I think my point was still valid, unless you ignored everything in my post except for the last sentence.

Do you watch the same ESPN that I do? ESPN is a constant SEC slurpfest, so get out of here with that. You buy into the thought that no other conference has the speed the SEC does too, right? Ohio State has embarassed the Big Ten against the SEC, but check Michigan's record against the SEC, then get back with me. Sorry, I just can't believe an SEC fan thinks other conferences get too much attention...

About Michigan, the defense is bad, but the offense is no joke. I also get sick of the people thinking that just because Denard is a quarterback, he is going to be hurt easily. People think he can't take a hit simply because he is a quarterback, but if he was a receiver at the same size, people wouldn't talk about it so much. Anyway, there have been some amazing games between the Wolverines and Spartans the past few years, and I don't expect this one to be any different.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Denard would be on a stretcher trying to play like that in the SEC, where you earn every win.

Yeah, because Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Ole Miss, and Kentucky are so tough these days, right?

Every conference is going to have teams that don't look good in comparison to their opponents/conference (look at the teams you posted and where their losses have come from thus far)...however, in my opinion, the worst of the SEC would still beat the worst of any other conference in most cases. Just like the best of the SEC would do to the best of other conferences.

I just get tired of all the obligatory hype that ESPN and other sports networks must give to Big 10/12 teams when we know how it all ends...they beat up the poor teams in their conference, get a title shot and get creamed by the SEC champion...with Ohio State being the worst offender (that story gets so old).

I think my point was still valid, unless you ignored everything in my post except for the last sentence.

Do you watch the same ESPN that I do? ESPN is a constant SEC slurpfest, so get out of here with that. You buy into the thought that no other conference has the speed the SEC does too, right? Ohio State has embarassed the Big Ten against the SEC, but check Michigan's record against the SEC, then get back with me. Sorry, I just can't believe an SEC fan thinks other conferences get too much attention...

About Michigan, the defense is bad, but the offense is no joke. I also get sick of the people thinking that just because Denard is a quarterback, he is going to be hurt easily. People think he can't take a hit simply because he is a quarterback, but if he was a receiver at the same size, people wouldn't talk about it so much. Anyway, there have been some amazing games between the Wolverines and Spartans the past few years, and I don't expect this one to be any different.

+1 . looking forward to it .

glossysig5.png

The problem with preseason polls is that people are hesitant to drop someone unless they lose. So you might have a situation where two teams start 1-2, never lose, and thus are in the title game, where what might have been the best team (because they play in the best conference, don't forget) started in the 20s, and could only climb up to #3.

Not really.

A couple years ago, Georgia was the preseason #1 team in the AP Poll. Before they lost a game, Georgia had already dropped to #3, because they weren't winning with style points.

In 2007, South Florida went from being unranked to ranked #2 in the nation halfway during the season, and USF is hardly a traditional power.

Pollsters have shown that they are willing to tinker with their rankings. But worrying about the polls in early October is foolish...there's way too much football left to be played. Until all the games have been played, these polls are incomplete works. They're pretty much reference points, and nothing more.

As for the "Vanderbilt" argument....not if Oregon and Ohio State ran the table and started ahead of them. Remember 2004 Auburn dear chap?

If I remember correctly, USC and Oklahoma were also undefeated, and had looked dominant in doing so. Had the USC-Oklahoma game been close, do we still hear Auburn fans bickering?

Besides, I don't think Auburn gives USC much more of a game. The season before, with both teams having the same rosters, USC stomped Auburn 22-0 at Auburn. I think that was Leinart's first ever start.

Ohio State has scheduled Texas, USC, and Miami in the last 6 years. Do you really believe the reason they haven't scheduled Boise State is because they "fear" them? Do you really believe that Alabama "fears" Boise State? You can't possibly believe that Texas thinks it's easier to go to Columbus to play Ohio State than it is to schedule a home game against Boise State can you? Same thing with USC or Miami. Seriously dude, it's time to stop with the "people are afraid to play Boise State" bull- :censored:.

It is "fear" if they play a top team like Bama or Oklahoma in the regular season either team wins and the losing team doesn't get huge publications week in and week out about how they lost. When OSU played Miami and hypothetically OSU loses.. You would see replays and replays on the game and all the "experts" talking from weeks on end about how did OSU lose to Miami.

But if Boise State plays OSU and Boise State wins, you'd get the "experts" dogging OSU and showing replays and replays about the game, (ie: OU Fiesta Bowl, you still hear about it and just not from Boise fans) What I'm saying it isn't "fear" of the team, its the "fear" of losing to a team they "should" win against.

spacer.png

For the record, I would love to see Boise and Ohio State play anywhere, even without a home-and-home. It would certainly be an exciting and competitive game. (If Ohio State could hypothetically get their crap together on offense before the game, that is. :P)

With Terelle Pryor constantly zeroing in on one receiver and Jim Tressel thinking that Dan Herron is a good halfback there's not much chance of that happening.

BB52Big.jpg

Do you watch the same ESPN that I do? ESPN is a constant SEC slurpfest, so get out of here with that. You buy into the thought that no other conference has the speed the SEC does too, right? Ohio State has embarassed the Big Ten against the SEC, but check Michigan's record against the SEC, then get back with me.

But Michigan lost to Appalachian State at home, making all other accomplishments invalid and the result of luck. Of course, that same year, Michigan beat the Gators in the Capitol One Bowl. So...App State > Michigan > Florida? :P

The problem with preseason polls is that people are hesitant to drop someone unless they lose. So you might have a situation where two teams start 1-2, never lose, and thus are in the title game, where what might have been the best team (because they play in the best conference, don't forget) started in the 20s, and could only climb up to #3.

Not really.

A couple years ago, Georgia was the preseason #1 team in the AP Poll. Before they lost a game, Georgia had already dropped to #3, because they weren't winning with style points.

In 2007, South Florida went from being unranked to ranked #2 in the nation halfway during the season, and USF is hardly a traditional power.

Pollsters have shown that they are willing to tinker with their rankings. But worrying about the polls in early October is foolish...there's way too much football left to be played. Until all the games have been played, these polls are incomplete works. They're pretty much reference points, and nothing more.

As for the "Vanderbilt" argument....not if Oregon and Ohio State ran the table and started ahead of them. Remember 2004 Auburn dear chap?

If I remember correctly, USC and Oklahoma were also undefeated, and had looked dominant in doing so. Had the USC-Oklahoma game been close, do we still hear Auburn fans bickering?

Besides, I don't think Auburn gives USC much more of a game. The season before, with both teams having the same rosters, USC stomped Auburn 22-0 at Auburn. I think that was Leinart's first ever start.

Same rosters, maybe. However the difference was a year of experience and a new offensive coordinator (Al Borges).

I should probably go back and multiquote some of the previous posts, but I'd like to set the record straight when it comes to Auburn and the 2004 Season.

-Was I pissed when Auburn went to the Sugar Bowl instead of the BCS championship? Sure. Does that diminish what was accomplished that year? Not in the least.

-Most Auburn fans now want no part of the 2004 Championship. Even when the AP was considering rescinding the USC Title. The attitude now is "what's done is done" to go back and retroactively claim a championship is something Auburn doesn't want to do because it lumps us in with a school we don't want to be lumped in with.

-Outside from a few people and a couple of random crazies, Auburn fans don't call the 2004 team a National Championship team. Even immediately after the season, it was just referred to as "the championship season" and was intentionally left vague:

2004logojpg-9cccb2c9228c2b2e_small.jpg

Yes, and I'm sure you've seen it before, there is an Orange/Gold Auburn ring that says 2004 National Championship. However, after talking with folks in the athletic department they've assured and reiterated that this ring (that ended up on Ebay) was actually a mock up ring made by Jolston's or Balfour in an attempt to have the AD buy rings for the players. To my knowledge, they were never actually mass produced.

The only recognition Auburn received was through an on-line poll (The "Fan's Poll" created by a High School student and Auburn fan), a tongue-in-cheek front page article from the Eufaula (an area paper) Tribune, and a retroactive nod from "Golf Digest" after Tommy Tubberville said "If Golf Digest wants to name us National Champs then I'll take it".

Bottom Line: Auburn fans have moved on. The preseason polls have little bearing. It's the polls DURING the season that matter. What killed Auburn's BCS hopes was when we dropped a little bit voting wise after the UGA game and then dropped a little bit after the SEC Championship when we didn't completely destroy Tennessee. That's what actually killed Auburn, not being ranked so low in the preseason.

USC's roster gained a year of experience, too.

And Auburn didn't exactly blow out their bowl game opponent at the end of that season. Only a 3-point win over Virginia Tech, right?

Yes. a 3 point Sugar Bowl win. 16-13. Against a VA Tech defense that only gave up (on average) 14 points a game.

Well most of us are currently engaged in the Denard Robinson love fest, Taylor Martinez (Nebraska QB) is having himself quite a nice season and as Freshman as well.

Martinez ran for 241yds and 4td's, well throwing for 128 and 1 touchdown in the total annihilation of Kansas State.

If Nebraska is playing Michigan next year Robinson vs. Martinez would be quite a show.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Well most of us are currently engaged in the Denard Robinson love fest, Taylor Martinez (Nebraska QB) is having himself quite a nice season and as Freshman as well.

Martinez ran for 241yds and 4td's, well throwing for 128 and 1 touchdown in the total annihilation of Kansas State.

If Nebraska is playing Michigan next year Robinson vs. Martinez would be quite a show.

He played well; they played well, but sadly for him, most sportsfans were watching MLB.

In another sign that TCU will struggle to maintain the local fan, they have to deal with this tomorrow in the metroplex:

Baylor/Texas Tech (11 am at the Cotton Bowl)

Texas A&M/Arkansas (2:30 at Cowboys Stadium)

TCU/Wyoming (2:30)

Rangers ALDS Game 3 (5 pm)

FC Dallas home game in which they can set a MLS record for longest unbeaten streak (5 pm)

UNT home game (6 pm)

SMU home game (7 pm)

Amen! That game was a old fashioned, corn-fed, farm-raised, hand-spanked ass beating.

And yes, Nebraska plays Michigan next year. I'm confident in my Huskers, but our Strength of Schedule next year is intimidating to say the least. We drew the bad luck of playing all the traditional powers of OSU, Mich, and Penn St, and both the "new powers" in Iowa and Wisconsin.

Fresno

Washington

@ Wyoming

@ Wisconsin

Ohio State

--- TBA Game (probably a cupcake) ---

@ Minnesota

Michigan State

Northwestern

@ Michigan

@ Penn State

Iowa

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Amen! That game was a old fashioned, corn-fed, farm-raised, hand-spanked ass beating.

And yes, Nebraska plays Michigan next year. I'm confident in my Huskers, but our Strength of Schedule next year is intimidating to say the least. We drew the bad luck of playing all the traditional powers of OSU, Mich, and Penn St, and both the "new powers" in Iowa and Wisconsin.

Fresno

Washington

@ Wyoming

@ Wisconsin

Ohio State

--- TBA Game (probably a cupcake) ---

@ Minnesota

Michigan State

Northwestern

@ Michigan

@ Penn State

Iowa

The new BigTen is going to be legit.

Illinois pulled off their first ever win at Penn State and looked pretty good doing it. Scheelaase was actually throwing the ball, and he was making some good passes but nothing long. But our defense looked really good today. Six of Penn State's 13 points came from possessions that started in the red zone because of two muffed punts. Besides the 80 yard touchdown pass, we shut Penn State's offense down completely. I thought this team was going to be bad at the start of the year, but we have a solid chance at making it to a bowl game.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Indiana would like for the hurting to stop now.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived