2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody who would de-legitimize a National Title win probably has no business talking about college football to begin with.

Then again, until we get a playoff, is any FBS national title really legitimate?

If we're going to get philosophical about it, is any title really legitimate? Does it assure that the best team won the championship? Let's ask the '85 Villanova Wildcats or the 2006 St. Louis Cardinals or the 2007 NY Giants. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Oh hell yeah. Go Gamecocks! I graduated a year too soon- watched this game with hundreds of other USC fans in New York City, but would have loved to be on the Horseshoe this morning and at the cockpit this afternoon. I was there when we beat #4 Ole Miss at home, but this is on a whole different level.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I never have enjoyed a team's misfortunes as much as the Gophers. I actually love it when they lose. They are pretty much out of bowl contention already, so it'll be fun to see the rest of the season and the end to Brewster's tenure.

TONY DUNGY 2011!!!! :down:

I'm pretty sure today shows how much I love having Doug Marrone and not Greg Robinson leading the Syracuse Orange :P

Very, very happy with the performance by the Orange today. The defense played great and the offense showed a ton of poise in the 4th quarter to score the go ahead touchdown on a 95 yard or so drive. For the first time ever Syracuse beats USF, plus the Orange are now 4-1 and start off the Big East schedule with a win in the first time in ages. I'm liking what I'm seeing outta these guys

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

You'll never convince me that a no-loss Boise State team is better than a one-loss or even two-loss Alabama team. In fact, you'd have a hard time convincing me that Boise State wouldn't lose by 2+ scores. This is the difference between playing in the SEC and playing in the WAC. South Carolina is a good football team. Obviously they're good enough to be ranked. But if you looked at Alabama's schedule heading into this season, this wasn't one of Alabama's "big games," in my opinion -- Penn State was a big game, Arkansas was a big game, Florida was a big game, LSU was a big game, and Auburn is a big game. The type of games you "get up for" to play and come out looking to send a message. It's damn near impossible to bring your A game every single weekend, in the WAC you don't have to, in the SEC, if you don't, you will lose.

IUe6Hvh.png

You'll never convince me that a no-loss Boise State team is better than a one-loss or even two-loss Alabama team. In fact, you'd have a hard time convincing me that Boise State wouldn't lose by 2+ scores.

I'd be able to take this argument seriously if it hadn't been made in advance of the games against Oklahoma, TCU, Oregon, Oregon State, and Virginia Tech, and disproven after each one. Now it just sounds more and more tired, desperate, and obsolete.

I agree that the mark of a great team is bringing your A game for the big-name opponents and crushing the little guys, but Boise has done just that. It's easy to say that they should just join a better conference in order to get a tougher schedule, but it becomes more complicated when you consider that no AQ conferences want to invite them, primarily for financial and educational reasons. It's not as simple as calling up the PAC-10 and saying "let us in," and if it was that simple, Gene Bleymaier would have done that years ago.

Personally, I think Alabama definitely has shown some weaknesses over the past couple games that Petersen would be smart enough to exploit. Bama hasn't had their heads in the game lately aside from the Florida rout - as evidenced by both substitution foul-ups today. And it also seems that McElroy holds on to the ball a little bit too long and depends too much on scrambling around in the backfield before throwing, which would not serve him well against Boise's aggressive D-line. It'd definitely be a close game but Boise would have a better chance to win than people give them credit for.

Also, the WAC has improved in leaps and bounds. Utah State beat BYU and damn near beat Oklahoma, Fresno State beat Cincinnati, and Nevada is ranked. The WAC is still behind all AQ conferences other than the Big Least, but the gap isn't as wide as it used to be this year.

P.S.: No way does Penn State count as a "big game" after today.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

You'll never convince me that a no-loss Boise State team is better than a one-loss or even two-loss Alabama team. In fact, you'd have a hard time convincing me that Boise State wouldn't lose by 2+ scores. This is the difference between playing in the SEC and playing in the WAC. South Carolina is a good football team. Obviously they're good enough to be ranked. But if you looked at Alabama's schedule heading into this season, this wasn't one of Alabama's "big games," in my opinion -- Penn State was a big game, Arkansas was a big game, Florida was a big game, LSU was a big game, and Auburn is a big game. The type of games you "get up for" to play and come out looking to send a message. It's damn near impossible to bring your A game every single weekend, in the WAC you don't have to, in the SEC, if you don't, you will lose.

And you would have been mistaken. As laughable as Sakerlina has been over the years, there was a decent amount of thought that this team could finally get over the hump. And Alabama brought their A game and still got beat down today. This wasn't a fluky upset.

Of course, the only evidence of the SEC's superiority is their own word, the relative parity in Conference, and the choke slamming of a team that just got killed at home by Illinois.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I will also add that all of this is moot, because LSU is somehow going to blunder into the national title game in defiance of logic, reason, and statistical probability, because Les Miles redefines lucky. Also he will end the world by dividing by zero in the first half of said title game, but that comes with the territory.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Les Miles is the craziest gotdamn coach in the SEC (& probably in the nation since Mike Leach is currently busy being drunk in the booth). The Hat did it again. How the HELL does this team keep winning games?!?!?! :wacko::wacko:

You'll never convince me that a no-loss Boise State team is better than a one-loss or even two-loss Alabama team. In fact, you'd have a hard time convincing me that Boise State wouldn't lose by 2+ scores.

I'd be able to take this argument seriously if it hadn't been made in advance of the games against Oklahoma, TCU, Oregon, Oregon State, and Virginia Tech, and disproven after each one. Now it just sounds more and more tired, desperate, and obsolete.

I agree that the mark of a great team is bringing your A game for the big-name opponents and crushing the little guys, but Boise has done just that. It's easy to say that they should just join a better conference in order to get a tougher schedule, but it becomes more complicated when you consider that no AQ conferences want to invite them, primarily for financial and educational reasons. It's not as simple as calling up the PAC-10 and saying "let us in," and if it was that simple, Gene Bleymaier would have done that years ago.

Personally, I think Alabama definitely has shown some weaknesses over the past couple games that Petersen would be smart enough to exploit. Bama hasn't had their heads in the game lately aside from the Florida rout - as evidenced by both substitution foul-ups today. And it also seems that McElroy holds on to the ball a little bit too long and depends too much on scrambling around in the backfield before throwing, which would not serve him well against Boise's aggressive D-line. It'd definitely be a close game but Boise would have a better chance to win than people give them credit for.

Also, the WAC has improved in leaps and bounds. Utah State beat BYU and damn near beat Oklahoma, Fresno State beat Cincinnati, and Nevada is ranked. The WAC is still behind all AQ conferences other than the Big Least, but the gap isn't as wide as it used to be this year.

P.S.: No way does Penn State count as a "big game" after today.

I'm not going to argue any points you make about Alabama. I was at the App game and haven't gotten to watch Alabama yet, but if it's like they've played lately I can probably guess the issues:

1) McElroy held the ball for too long.

2) Dre Kirkpatrick tried to make the big play one too many times and got burned.

3) Over-pursuit by the LBs caused a lot of missed tackles.

You say McElroy would struggle against Boise's aggressive defense, wouldn't that open up holes for the rushing game?

Also, you can't even compare schedules - call me when Boise plays three ranked teams in a row and not just three all season. I'm all for the little schools, but it's hard to say that they schedule a BCS level schedule when they don't play two ranked teams in a row all year. Alabama (at the time) played two top ten teams and then a top twenty team in three straight weeks, when they still have Auburn and LSU on the schedule. It's one thing to be able to beat a really good team once or a twice a year, but when you have to do it 5 or 6 times in an SEC schedule it's a whole different story.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Archived