2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Pianoknight, I only question your predictions because you have only one SEC team in there. See, there's three levels of conference in NCAA FBS - elite, AQ, and non-AQ. Five AQs and five non-AQs, and the SEC is the only elite conference. How dare you only put one SEC team in there.

Infrared, you ask how SEC teams lose out of conference games. Since the SEC cannot schedule on their level, they have to schedule inferior schools such as Ohio State (for example). Upsets do happen. And be thankful the SEC hasn't gone to a full round robin yet - it's the best move they can make because it guarantees that the SEC team plays a difficult schedule.

LvZYtbZ.png

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pianoknight, I only question your predictions because you have only one SEC team in there. See, there's three levels of conference in NCAA FBS - elite, AQ, and non-AQ. Five AQs and five non-AQs, and the SEC is the only elite conference. How dare you only put one SEC team in there.

Infrared, you ask how SEC teams lose out of conference games. Since the SEC cannot schedule on their level, they have to schedule inferior schools such as Ohio State (for example). Upsets do happen. And be thankful the SEC hasn't gone to a full round robin yet - it's the best move they can make because it guarantees that the SEC team plays a difficult schedule.

That's because I anticipate South Carolina and Arkansas losing some more games. Auburn could be a fringe team for that list, but when I look at the end of the season and the top 8 or 10 teams remaining, I really see 9 teams and Alabama that are better than the rest of the SEC. Sorry.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

But a full round robin (11 games) would mean only 1 OoC game and you better hope that your precious SEC that you slob over like a fat kid on cake find some tough teams to face for that 1 OoC game. That means scheduling those tougher teams like Ohio State instead of feasting on cupcakes.

Now, for my look at what the BCS matchup would look like...

Well, since the BCS standings aren't out yet, there are two things to look at when making this: Conference standings and the AP Poll.

If there are teams tied for the best conference record, then the AP Poll is used to decide the tiebreaker (Unless the schools that are tied have played, then head-to-head is introduced. If those schools haven't played, then overall record is used)

So, the current AQ conference leaders are...

ACC: Florida State (5-1, 3-0)

Big East: West Virginia (5-1, 1-0; Better overall record then Syracuse and Rutgers)

Big Ten: Ohio State (6-0, 2-0; Higher ranked then co-leader Michigan State)

Big XII: Nebraska (5-0, 1-0; Higher ranked then Missouri, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State)

Pac-10: Oregon (6-0, 3-0)

SEC: LSU (6-0, 4-0)

Now, the four at-large bids. Two bids are taken with Boise State and TCU in the top five of the rankings. This leaves two at large bids. The pool for that bid includes:

-Michigan State

-Oklahoma

-Oklahoma State

-Auburn

-Alabama

-South Carolina

With the rankings, Oklahoma and Auburn, being the highest ranked of these teams, get the final two at-large bids.

The National Championship Game is set in stone here: #1 Ohio State vs. #2 Oregon

The Sugar Bowl takes the SEC Champion LSU. The Fiesta Bowl takes Big XII Champion Nebraska. The Orange Bowl takes ACC Champion Florida State.

This leaves the four at-large bids and West Virginia to slot. Two of those at-larges will meet in the Rose Bowl to make up for the loss of Ohio State and Oregon. In order to prevent a rematch from last year's Fiesta Bowl, they'll split Boise State and TCU up. Boise heads to the Rose Bowl to face Oklahoma while TCU will play in the Orange Bowl against Florida State. West Virginia goes to the Sugar Bowl to play LSU while Auburn gets Nebraska in the Fiesta Bowl.

TL;DR version -

NCG: Ohio State vs. Oregon

Fiesta: Nebraska vs. Auburn

Rose: Boise State vs. Oklahoma

Sugar: LSU vs. West Virginia

Orange: Florida State vs. TCU

Oh, why the hell not? All the cool kids are doing it. :P

-Ohio State falls somewhere along the way in typical Buckeye fashion. It was almost to Illinois a couple of weeks ago, however I think it'll be tomorrow night in Camp Randall.

-Which takes us to Oregon, who I don't think is really that good. I don't think they can beat Arizona and Oregon State to close out the year.

-And now it's time for Boise, who's prospective win over a conceptually top-15 Nevada team would help them a bit in the computers. They'll run the table, but will they get to the NCG?

-Nebraska is 4th in the USA Today poll, and they've looked really good this year to me. They leapfrog Boise in the rankings following the Big XII Championship Game where they beat Oklahoma.

-Texas Christian is 5th, and while I think they'll beat Utah, playing an otherwise weak schedule's going to hurt them in the computers. They'll be behind Nebraska and Boise anyways, so does it really matter?

-Oklahoma finishes 12-1, losing to Nebraska in the Big XII Championship game, which I already covered.

-Auburn wins at LSU, but loses to Alabama and finishes 11-1. However, Alabama loses at LSU which sends Auburn to the SEC Championship Game where they beat South Carolina again.

-Alabama finishes 10-2, on the outside looking in as far as the BCS goes.

-LSU beats Alabama, but loses to Auburn, and ends up missing the SEC Championship game at 11-1. However, the BCS could still be a possibility.

-Utah finishes at 11-1, losing to TCU. This puts them in the Holiday Bowl! Yay!

-Michigan State runs the table, but they aren't one of the best teams in college football. Their only tough game left is against an Iowa team that I don't think is that good, and they'll benefit by not playing tOSU.

-South Carolina loses to Arkansas, but still wins the East. They finish 10-3 after losing to Auburn in the SEC Championship Game.

-The aforementioned Arkansas team loses to Auburn and LSU, ending up a non-competitor at 9-3.

-Florida State seems like the cream of the crop (it's been a bad harvest in the ACC :P), and they'll run the table the rest of the year until the Florida game. They finish 10-2.

-West Virginia wins the Big East. Big deal.

So, here's the BCS auto-qualifiers:

-Florida State (ACC)

-West Virginia (Big East)

-Michigan State (Big Ten)

-Nebraksa (Big XII)

-Oregon (Pac 10)

-Auburn (SEC)

-Boise State (Top 5)

-Texas Christian (Top 5)

Which leaves 2 at large spots that are really contested by two 11-1 teams, Ohio State and LSU, and a 12-1 Oklahoma team. I'll give the at-large spots to tOSU and LSU as Oklahoma's hurt by losing at the end of the year.

So, here's my BCS bowl game predictions!

Fiesta Bowl (At-Large vs At-Large)

-The Fiesta Bowl takes Ohio State, a typical team for the Fiesta Bowl, and is left with having West Virginia as their opponent

Sugar Bowl (SEC vs At-Large)

-The Sugar Bowl gets SEC Champion Auburn, and then takes TCU as their at-large.

Orange Bowl (ACC vs At-Large)

-The Orange Bowl takes Florida State, and getting the worst AQ-team, they'll take the best At-Large team for them, LSU.

Rose Bowl (Big 10 vs Pac-10)

-Michigan State can't leapfrog Boise State, as they're the one BCS team that won't have a good enough SofS. They entered the year an unknown, and will get dismantled by a good Oregon team.

BCS National Championship Game

-Nebraska climbs to #1 in the rankings for this one, and they beat #2 Boise State 31-21. Boise gets here in a perfect storm, Ohio State and Oregon both end up at 1 loss and Alabama loses a second game.

6fQjS3M.png

Ohio State will lose to Wisconsin and possibly Iowa. Boise State will remain undefeated, Alabama will barely squeeze past Auburn and play a rematch against South Carolina for the SEC Championship. For the first time in several seasons, there will be no undefeated teams left in the SEC. Undefeated Nebraska and Oklahoma will meet in the Big 12 Championship and Taylor Martinez will dismantle the Sooners.

These sound like great picks. Ohio State losing to Wisconsin, especially. The Buckeyes are freaking overrated. Terrelle Pryor's not that great. However, I will give them Cameron Heyward.

Seems like there is a general consensus that Nebraska is going to be in the title game and win it all. Honestly, kind of a shocker to my eyes...and I wouldn't have even heard it at the beginning of the season. What am I missing here?

They are 5-0, which is a start to the title game. However, they have had a pretty suspect schedule to this point in the season. They did dismantle K State last week, which was a plus and a nice message to send. The upcoming three game stretch for them is going to be pretty tough...an unranked Texas is going to be just as tough for them as a Top 15 Texas in recent years this coming weekend. After that, they face two currently undefeated teams. OSU will be hungry to stay undefeated and Mizzou won't lay down for them either.

Looking at their stats so far, they seem to be one-dimensional with some...that can't carry them THAT far in the Big XII can it?

Lot of Cornhuskers representing here or am I missing something? Seems they have a few more weeks ahead of them before I would personally be able to say they are worthy of being called a title team. Especially with teams the teams surrounding them in the polls in the same situation or better.

The Rose Bowl isn't going to take Boise State over eligible Big Ten and Pac-10 schools, especially if the Rose gets the first two picks if they lose their champions to the BCS National Championship game. The Rose Bowl would be plenty happy with a Stanford-Michigan State matchup.

And if they can't take a Big Ten and/or Pac-10 team, the Rose Bowl would take an at-large team from the Big XII or SEC. The Rose Bowl cares more about selling tickets, hotels, and tradition a lot more than creating "the best matchup" for fans to watch.

The Rose Bowl isn't going to take Boise State or TCU unless they absolutely have to.

The Rose Bowl isn't going to take Boise State over eligible Big Ten and Pac-10 schools, especially if the Rose gets the first two picks if they lose their champions to the BCS National Championship game. The Rose Bowl would be plenty happy with a Stanford-Michigan State matchup.

And if they can't take a Big Ten and/or Pac-10 team, the Rose Bowl would take an at-large team from the Big XII or SEC. The Rose Bowl cares more about selling tickets, hotels, and tradition a lot more than creating "the best matchup" for fans to watch.

The Rose Bowl isn't going to take Boise State or TCU unless they absolutely have to.

Believe it or not, if there's an opening because a Big Ten or Pac-10 team makes the title game, the Rose Bowl MUST fill it with a non-AQ.

LvZYtbZ.png

Believe it or not, if there's an opening because a Big Ten or Pac-10 team makes the title game, the Rose Bowl MUST fill it with a non-AQ.

Then why did they take Texas in 2005?

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

This is something in the latest deal within the bowls. Should a non-AQ qualify, and should the Rose Bowl have an opening, the Rose Bowl must take them. But they only have to do it the first time it happens.

LvZYtbZ.png

Seems like there is a general consensus that Nebraska is going to be in the title game and win it all. Honestly, kind of a shocker to my eyes...and I wouldn't have even heard it at the beginning of the season. What am I missing here?

They are 5-0, which is a start to the title game. However, they have had a pretty suspect schedule to this point in the season. They did dismantle K State last week, which was a plus and a nice message to send. The upcoming three game stretch for them is going to be pretty tough...an unranked Texas is going to be just as tough for them as a Top 15 Texas in recent years this coming weekend. After that, they face two currently undefeated teams. OSU will be hungry to stay undefeated and Mizzou won't lay down for them either.

Looking at their stats so far, they seem to be one-dimensional with some...that can't carry them THAT far in the Big XII can it?

Lot of Cornhuskers representing here or am I missing something? Seems they have a few more weeks ahead of them before I would personally be able to say they are worthy of being called a title team. Especially with teams the teams surrounding them in the polls in the same situation or better.

Nebraska's the only team with a defense in the Conference. That's kind of critical. Everybody else in the league is an eggshell armed with a hammer.

I do think the optimism is kind of excessive, but there's the reason why Nebraska is so favored.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Martinez can pass. He's only one-dimensional right now because he HASN'T HAD to pass much. When you're averaging 10.8 yards per carry and have 12 rushing TDs in 5 games, there's no reason to throw 30-40 passes a game.

Don't forget the blackshirts, either. Pelini has been calling a relatively vanilla defensive scheme so far. Despite that, our secondary is breaking up passes left and right and LB LaVonte David is racking up about 10-14 tackles a game.

Make no mistake, Texas will have their hands full tomorrow and so will the rest of the conference.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

This is something in the latest deal within the bowls. Should a non-AQ qualify, and should the Rose Bowl have an opening, the Rose Bowl must take them. But they only have to do it the first time it happens.

Is willmorris being willmorris here or is this actually true?

6fQjS3M.png

Is willmorris being willmorris here or is this actually true?

Unfortunately, it's true. The conference tie-ins are no longer completely guaranteed.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

You're an idiot.

BB52Big.jpg

You're an idiot.

That's the spirit. At least you and McCarthy are catching on. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

You're an idiot.

That's the spirit. At least you and McCarthy are catching on. :P

When responding to willmorris, anything after "you're an idiot" is just wasting time.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived