Gary

2010 NCAA Football Thread

NC State was undefeated, ranked, and ready to contend in the ACC when VT beat them. I don't really care why VT's ranked, they're ranked again and that restores some luster to Boise's opening win.

Sure it could. Nevada and Oregon State losing doesn't help out Boise State's schedule strength.

They're #2 regardless, and I doubt Boise would have leapfrogged Oregon anyway if those two won.

If Utah keeps winning as they should, then TCU, and Utah for that matter, would have a chance at a win over a top 10 team in the in season rankings

Utah is not out-of-conference for TCU this year.

(And don't say that VT was in the top 10 when Boise beat them. That was preseason, and we see what the Hokies are now).

Yeah, we do - they beat NC State to get back into the mix in the ACC two weeks ago, and they're back in the polls this week. The JMU loss was a fluke due to their AD's terrible, arrogant decision to schedule JMU only a few days after the Boise game.

Virginia Tech hasn't beaten a ranked team this year. Their most impressive win was over NC State, who just lost to East Carolina. I mean, you're actually impressed that they steamrolled terrible Central Michigan and Wake Forest teams in consecutive weeks? They're back in the polls because they're Virginia Tech, not because they've proven themselves as one of the top 25 teams in the country.

But name recognition goes a long way in college football. For example, from a purely objective standpoint, Alabama's best win right now is over Arkansas, which specialized in valiantly losing to "elite" teams. Does beating Arkansas make you an elite team?

If Utah keeps winning as they should, then TCU, and Utah for that matter, would have a chance at a win over a top 10 team in the in season rankings

Utah is not out-of-conference for TCU this year.

(And don't say that VT was in the top 10 when Boise beat them. That was preseason, and we see what the Hokies are now).

Yeah, we do - they beat NC State to get back into the mix in the ACC two weeks ago, and they're back in the polls this week. The JMU loss was a fluke due to their AD's terrible, arrogant decision to schedule JMU only a few days after the Boise game.

1) Yeah, I know that. But what they've already done against teams that have struggled to stay in the top 25 for more than a week isn't going to help them nearly as much as beating a undefeated top 10 team late in the season would do. VT and Oregon State can't boost Boise that much more the rest of the season more than they can bring them down. (And yes I realize the Oregon State thing goes for TCU also.) But TCU beating an undefeated top 10 Utah in Salt Lake City would be a gigantic boost for the Horned Frogs at the end of the year. Boise does not have that. Boise can just play the waiting game, and not get trapped. TCU can help their cause, Boise really can't.

2) Yeah, what See Red said. He covered the VT angle.

Not sure if this has been covered but enough of the BCS talk.

Rutgers DE Eric LeGrand was paralyzed from the neck down in yesterday's game vs. Army.

Link and Video, Very Sad.

Well, I can't say I ever expected Nevada to go unbeaten. And this was the game I expected them to drop as well. They haven't won in Hawaii in years. I still think they'll beat Boise State in late November, though.

Well, beating Florida will do that for Mississippi State. Remember, they played Auburn tough and still have Alabama and Arkansas left.

Now, for the Top 10 in the BCS:

10. Ohio State

9. Utah

8. Alabama

7. Michigan State

6. LSU

5. TCU

4. Auburn

3. Boise State

2. Oregon

1. Oklahoma

Well, beating Florida will do that for Mississippi State. Remember, they played Auburn tough and still have Alabama and Arkansas left.

10. Ohio State

9. Utah

8. Alabama

7. Michigan State

6. LSU

5. TCU

4. Auburn

3. Boise State

2. Oregon

1. Oklahoma

Margin of victory really needs to be restored to that computer calculation metric. Because if 4 of your wins are by 8 points or less, you're not good, you're just getting lucky.

10. Ohio State

9. Utah

8. Alabama

7. Michigan State

6. LSU

5. TCU

4. Auburn

3. Boise State

2. Oregon

1. Oklahoma

Seriously?

What a sham <_<

I think this is Boise and TCU's death sentence though. I think this all but ensures the SEC champ will be in the title game along with either Oregon or Oklahoma. Unless some crazy stuff happens, this again won't be the year.

So let's see. Top 14 are:

Oklahoma, Oregon, Boise St, Auburn, TCU, LSU, Michigan St, Alabama, Utah, Ohio State, Missouri, Stanford, Wisconsin, Oklahoma St.

Conference leaders right now are:

Florida St (ACC), West Virginia (Big East), Oklahoma (Big XII), Michigan St (Big Ten), Oregon (Pac-10), Auburn (SEC)

Boise State is guaranteed a selection because they are the highest ranked non-AQ. TCU is NOT guaranteed a spot, even though they are fifth.

Throw Oklahoma and Oregon to the national title game. Michigan State is to the Rose Bowl, Auburn to the Sugar, Florida State to the Orange.

The Fiesta Bowl gets first choice to replace Oklahoma, and I think they stay within the Big XII to take Missouri. The Rose Bowl would normally choose who to replace Oregon, but are forced to take Boise State in this spot.

Sugar Bowl has the next choice. I think they'd go and take Ohio State, who would draw very well. Then the Orange Bowl would take LSU and the Fiesta Bowl would be forced to take West Virginia.

In short:

NCG: Oklahoma v Oregon

Rose: Michigan St v Boise St

Fiesta: Missouri v West Virginia

Sugar: Auburn v Ohio State

Orange: Florida St v LSU

This why you can't say BCS without BS

We blew it. Sucks to get your butt whipped and lose, sucks even worse to lose when you know without a shadow of a doubt that you're a better team.

In other news, I believe my premonitions regarding the premature Nebraska success turned out well.

Note to Top 25 Teams: Rushing the field after beating another Top 25 team is bush league. Tearing the goal posts down is just embarrassing.

You do realize those posts would have come down if South Carolina hadn't dropped them last week, right?

No they wouldn't have. The field needs to be rushed in order for that to happen, and did you see that? No. It was a Top 20 matchup and again, rushing the field by fans of either team is bush league.

10. Ohio State

9. Utah

8. Alabama

7. Michigan State

6. LSU

5. TCU

4. Auburn

3. Boise State

2. Oregon

1. Oklahoma

Bring on the antitrust lawsuit! I'm just about tired of the BCS now.

It certainly looks like the fix is in now. Both Boise and Oregon have been blowing out teams, they deserve to be #1 and #2, but since they aren't "traditional powers," they get shafted again. This system is a joke.

I spent a great evening at Camp Randall last night. OSU did look a little flat and Pryor made some bad throws (and some good 3rd down throws that were dropped), but the Badgers showed more energy then they had all year and never looked rattled when OSU scored twice in the 3rd and seemingly held the ball for 14:59. At 21-18, they needed a TD drive and made it happen. Makes that MSU loss all the more painful.

But it was awesome. First time beating #1 since 1981 (though how defending champ OSU, on a 19 game winning streak was not #1 in 2003 is beyond me).

your welcome :P

1. Oklahoma

If the clip from "A Christmas Story" with Ralphie's mom calling Schwartz's mom and Schwartz's mom screaming "WHHAAAAATTTT? WHHHAAAAAAAATTTT?" through the phone was on YouTube, I'd post that right now.

EDIT: This will do for now. Skip to 3:42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29PSKByPjzQ&feature=related

Also, yesterday's Syracuse-Pitt game never happened. I was on the field the whole game with a field pass and everything, but it never happened :P

Eh. Oklahoma has to play Missouri next week. That game will determine whether or not they truly deserve the #1 ranking. The AP & USA Today Polls actually had it right.

Any news on Tim Brewster's job situation. I have checked the Gophers' website, but they haven't mentioned it yet. But there is so much Tim Brewster crap littering that website, I think they would try their best to hide his firing in order to keep up the crap (so I cannot trust gophersports.com).

Seriously, guys. Brewster getting fired is my main short-term goal.

5. Yankees Lose At Least One Game During Playoffs - Check

4. All 33 Miners Are Saved - Check

3. Rangers Win a Home Playoff Game - Check

2. Randy Moss Comes Back To Vikings - Check

1. Tim Brewster Gets Fired (Replaced by Tony Dungy?) - Pending

Your life is semi-complete.

As seen on ESPN.com:

Gophers fire Brewster | Dungy is not interested