2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Cal's streak of being dominated on the road and dominating at home continues. The Bears looked prett good and ASU looked like ass.

The Devils defense would make a big play for loss or little gain then give up a huge gain on the next one. Just too inconsistent today. And the offense just played stupid at times. Threet made some bad throws and the line wasn't good. It was hard to tell, but Threet may have been injured and taken out or just flat out replaced because of the circumstances.

And the penalties and turnovers came out again. Just a terrible game.

Really too bad, because a win would have made a bowl shot in pretty good sight, but now it's realllllyyyy tough. Winning 4 out of 5 of vs Wash St, @ USC, vs Stanford, vs UCLA, @ Arizona. Unless this game just gets thrown behind them and they find a way to man up against ranked Stanford and/or Arizona, it's real tough. .500 is the most realistic high point, but it's looking more to be 5-7. Well crap.

Ah well, Go Devils. Next week is Homecoming and the Cougars (and Halloween). Should be good times in every facet of campus life next week :D

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something to think about before the LSU@Auburn game.

The only defense which did a good job in containing Cam Newton was Clemson. The Clemson Def. Coor. is Kevin Steele. Steele is a close friend of LSU's Def Coor, John Chavis. So close that they talk to each other constantly.

Just sayin'.

dfwabel's six degrees of separation.

Not my theory as I heard it on Finebaum on the drive home last night.

It's a joke son. A joke.

Foghorn_Leghorn2.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Oklahoma loses to Mizzou, 36-27, and the #1 Curse strikes again.

Good. They weren't a #1 team anyways.

This weeks standings should definitely be interesting. Oregon should be #1, and as much as Boise deserves it, I can see Auburn jumping to #2.

Oregon should be #1, and as much as Boise deserves it, I can see Auburn jumping to #2.

That'd be a dumb move with the DoJ breathing down the neck of the BCS and the possibility of an antitrust lawsuit. Getting jumped because you had a bye week isn't very fair at all.

That's the system unfortunately. And again, it's just a prediction of mine based on the system in place. I don't agree with it, but I could very easily see it happening. The #4 team beating the #7 team. That gives a push in the BCS.

Oklahoma loses to Mizzou, 36-27, and the #1 Curse strikes again.

Good. They weren't a #1 team anyways.

This weeks standings should definitely be interesting. Oregon should be #1, and as much as Boise deserves it, I can see Auburn jumping to #2.

I'm more interested in seeing whether Oklahoma or TCU is ranked higher. If Oklahoma is, it's probably because computers aren't allowed to differentiate between this and this.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Boise State and the Mountain West are even retaining lawyers, too. Unless Boise or TCU (Boise being more likely) makes it into the title game with an undefeated record, things will get very ugly very quickly for the BCS.

Everyone needs to just relax. Boise State is probably going to be the only undefeated team left at the end of the season. The people behind the BCS may be a lot of things but they aren't stupid. Boise State will get their shot. The BCS will gladly sacrifice one season to avoid getting sued. The thing people like you as well as actual Boise State fans need to worry about is this; if Boise makes the title game and gets pounded they'll never get another shot. In order for Boise State to break the glass ceiling they not only need to get in the game, they have to win it. Let's say they get in and play someone like Auburn. If Auburn beats Boise 38-10 then it's all but over for the non-AQ schools. A humiliating defeat doesn't help the Boise State, et al cause. Has anyone thought about that?

BB52Big.jpg

Boise State and the Mountain West are even retaining lawyers, too. Unless Boise or TCU (Boise being more likely) makes it into the title game with an undefeated record, things will get very ugly very quickly for the BCS.

Everyone needs to just relax. Boise State is probably going to be the only undefeated team left at the end of the season. The BCS may be a lot of things but it isn't stupid. Boise State will get their shot. The BCS will gladly sacrifice one season to avoid getting sued. The thing people like you as well as actual Boise State fans need to worry about is this; if Boise makes the title game and gets pounded they'll never get another shot. In order for Boise State to break the glass ceiling they not only need to get in the game, they have to win it. Let's say they get in and play someone like Auburn. If Auburn beats Boise 38-10 then it's all but over for the non-AQ schools. A humiliating defeat doesn't help the Boise State, et al cause. Has anyone thought about that?

You could have said that about Hawaii and the Sugar Bowl. I'm sure there were plenty of people saying "Look at that. The WAC should never be allowed into a BCS Bowl." (I qualify it with WAC because Utah had already beaten Pitt at this point.) But Boise still got their shot.

I think that even if Boise got there and lost, they'd still have another shot down the road moving into the Mountain West with TCU. They'll lose the boost of Utah and BYU, when BYU is good, but there are some that still consider the Mountain West a jump from the WAC.

And even still, some school will always come up and do well on a consistent basis and cry for a shot. The issue will always be there. Boise may be eliminated from the talk like Hawaii was, but each case may have to be squashed one by one. Utah has won in its two shots at it and is moving into a BCS Conference. TCU got there once but had to play another non-AQ in Boise, so they haven't been squashed out yet. Boise has to lose to a BCS school and TCU has to lose to a BCS school before the current non-AQ voices are quelled.

And even then, I'm sure another school will go on some run and cry for their shot. As long as we're limited to the defining groups of AQ and non-AQ, it will never go away. As long as we have these "power conference" definitions, the best teams on the outside will always have their complaints.

Everyone needs to just relax. Boise State is probably going to be the only undefeated team left at the end of the season. The BCS may be a lot of things but it isn't stupid. Boise State will get their shot. The BCS will gladly sacrifice one season to avoid getting sued. The thing people like you as well as actual Boise State fans need to worry about is this; if Boise makes the title game and gets pounded they'll never get another shot. In order for Boise State to break the glass ceiling they not only need to get in the game, they have to win it. Let's say they get in and play someone like Auburn. If Auburn beats Boise 38-10 then it's all but over for the non-AQ schools. A humiliating defeat doesn't help the Boise State, et al cause. Has anyone thought about that?

You could have said that about Hawaii and the Sugar Bowl. I'm sure there were plenty of people saying "Look at that. The WAC should never be allowed into a BCS Bowl." (I qualify it with WAC because Utah had already beaten Pitt at this point.) But Boise still got their shot.

I think that even if Boise got there and lost, they'd still have another shot down the road moving into the Mountain West with TCU. They'll lose the boost of Utah and BYU, when BYU is good, but there are some that still consider the Mountain West a jump from the WAC.

And even still, some school will always come up and do well on a consistent basis and cry for a shot. The issue will always be there. Boise may be eliminated from the talk like Hawaii was, but each case may have to be squashed one by one. Utah has won in its two shots at it and is moving into a BCS Conference. TCU got there once but had to play another non-AQ in Boise, so they haven't been squashed out yet. Boise has to lose to a BCS school and TCU has to lose to a BCS school before the current non-AQ voices are quelled.

And even then, I'm sure another school will go on some run and cry for their shot. As long as we're limited to the defining groups of AQ and non-AQ, it will never go away. As long as we have these "power conference" definitions, the best teams on the outside will always have their complaints.

You're missing the point. A BCS bowl game is not the same as the National Championship game. If Boise State makes the title game and gets pounded it will be a very long time before another non-BCS conference school gets a shot at the title game. Sure, the non-AQs still get the occasional BCS bowl bid but it will be really tough for them to get into another NC game. That's what I was talking about.

BB52Big.jpg

You're missing the point. A BCS bowl game is not the same as the National Championship game. If Boise State makes the title game and gets pounded it will be a very long time before another non-BCS conference school gets a shot at the title game. Sure, the non-AQs still get the occasional BCS bowl bid but it will be really tough for them to get into another NC game. That's what I was talking about.

Ah alright.

Then yeah, totally agree.

Welp, Oregon & Oklahoma basically proved the human polls right this week. Oregon continued to crush teams, and Oklahoma showed why the computer shouldn't have ranked them #1. I think the computer will have the rankings right this week. Oregon is definitely #1, & a whole mess of teams could be #2. I'd be fine with Boise State/TCU/Auburn being #2.

In homer news, Mississippi State survived a scare from UAB (seriously, what is with the Blazers & scaring the SH-T out of SEC teams? They did it to Tennessee earlier this season in that 2OT thriller, & basically took the Maroon Dawgs to the limit tonight,) in their first game as a ranked team since 2001, improving to 6-2 (5 straight wins, which is crazy considering 5 is the number of wins MSU had all last year.) & getting bowl eligible. Dan Mullen for Mayor of Starkville, please.

Also, how hilarious is this: Baylor & Miss. State became bowl eligible this season earlier than Texas & Florida. :lol:

In order for Boise State to break the glass ceiling they not only need to get in the game, they have to win it. Let's say they get in and play someone like Auburn. If Auburn beats Boise 38-10 then it's all but over for the non-AQ schools. A humiliating defeat doesn't help the Boise State, et al cause. Has anyone thought about that?

I've thought about that, but I disagree about Boise needing to win to break the glass ceiling. They will have broken the glass ceiling by getting into the game to begin with. No non-AQ school has ever even made it to the BCS NCG, Boise would be the first - therefore, ceiling broken.

Now, on the whole "what if Boise loses?" thing: I'm not convinced that Boise losing would shut non-AQ schools out completely. By making the NCG, Boise and/or TCU would open up the floodgates for pretty much every non-AQ team with a good resume. It would be pretty much impossible for the BCS to clamp back down again and still avoid a lawsuit.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

In order for Boise State to break the glass ceiling they not only need to get in the game, they have to win it. Let's say they get in and play someone like Auburn. If Auburn beats Boise 38-10 then it's all but over for the non-AQ schools. A humiliating defeat doesn't help the Boise State, et al cause. Has anyone thought about that?

I've thought about that, but I disagree about Boise needing to win to break the glass ceiling. They will have broken the glass ceiling by getting into the game to begin with. No non-AQ school has ever even made it to the BCS NCG, Boise would be the first - therefore, ceiling broken.

Now, on the whole "what if Boise loses?" thing: I'm not convinced that Boise losing would shut non-AQ schools out completely. By making the NCG, Boise and/or TCU would open up the floodgates for pretty much every non-AQ team with a good resume. It would be pretty much impossible for the BCS to clamp back down again and still avoid a lawsuit.

If Boise gets in and loses big it's a lot easier to make the argument that they "don't belong, don't play anyone" etc. I'm not saying I agree with that but it will happen if they get in the NC game and lose big. A win and the "glass ceiling" is gone for good. A close loss and things probably remain the same as they are now. If they get blown out then every naysayer will use it to "prove" that giving Boise a title shot was a bad idea.

If it can happen to a school like Ohio State you better believe it can happen to Boise State. The BCS is still leery of offering a Big Ten team a slot in the title game.

Also, I don't want to come across like I'm rooting against Boise because I'm not. I want them to get their shot and I'd love to see them win.

BB52Big.jpg

AQ schools can make whatever arguments they want about whether or not non-AQ's belong in the title game if Boise were to lose big, but at the end of the day, the BCS would still have to deal with all the other model non-AQ programs saying, "Boise got a chance, why can't we get one too?" Then, the BCS is in a very precarious position: either keep allowing non-AQ's in, angering AQ schools and their fans, which could potentially hurt them financially; or shut non-AQ's out entirely and risk an antitrust lawsuit. This is exactly why the automatic qualifiers idea was a bad one from the start.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

AQ schools can make whatever arguments they want about whether or not non-AQ's belong in the title game if Boise were to lose big, but at the end of the day, the BCS would still have to deal with all the other model non-AQ programs saying, "Boise got a chance, why can't we get one too?" Then, the BCS is in a very precarious position: either keep allowing non-AQ's in, angering AQ schools and their fans, which could potentially hurt them financially; or shut non-AQ's out entirely and risk an antitrust lawsuit. This is exactly why the automatic qualifiers idea was a bad one from the start.

I agree 100%.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived