2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Bowls right now look like this:

NCG: Auburn v Oregon

Rose: Michigan St v Boise St

Sugar: Alabama v Oklahoma

Fiesta: Missouri v Pittsburgh

Orange: Florida St v Ohio St

TIME! How in blazes can you say, with a straight face, that #11 Ohio State should go over #4 TCU? Let me remind you that the Horned Frogs on unbeaten right now and are higher ranked, not only in the BCS, but in both human polls at this moment.

I think I finally get it... You just hate all Non-AQ teams. Is that it, Will? Is that your jist?

It pains me to say it, but TCU's utter lack of a traveling fanbase burns them here. Ohio State brings tens of thousands of fans on the road with them wherever they go, and that is a huge factor when tossing out at larges.

And I'll also note that I think it's more likely that we see two non-AQ at-larges make it so long as Oregon keeps winning. So long as Oregon (or Michigan State) is in the top 2, the Rose Bowl will be forced to take a non-AQ instead of, say, Stanford or Ohio State.

LvZYtbZ.png

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was listening to a Cleveland sports talk radio program where one of the hosts stated that a 1-loss Ohio State would deserve a NCG berth over an undefeated TCU because "Beating Miami is a bigger win than beating Utah would be for TCU." :rolleyes:

Also, Jeff Sagarin's computer rankings is one of the ones used for the BCS. He has two computer simulations (ELO CHESS which the BCS uses (straight win-loss) and the Predictor which is purely point differential). He combines the two to come up with his "overall rankings" and I'll compare his "more accurate (as described by him)" rankings to the ones the BCS uses sans point-differential.

"ACCURATE RANKINGS"

1. Oregon

2. Missouri

3. TCU

4. Oklahoma (lol)

5. Boise State

6. Auburn

7. Ohio State

8. Stanford

9. Nebraska

10. Arizona

SANS POINT-DIFFERENTIAL (BCS COMPONENT)

1. Missouri

2. Michigan State (ranked 13 in the one with PD)

3. Auburn

4. Wisconsin (ranked 16 in the other)

5. Oklahoma

6. Oregon

7. TCU

8. LSU (15 in the other)

9. Ohio State

10. Stanford

Yes, the BCS Component of Sagarin's ratings doesn't include Boise in the top 10 (they're #11). You can check out his website here, and also check out his other rankings he has there.

6fQjS3M.png

I was listening to a Cleveland sports talk radio program where one of the hosts stated that a 1-loss Ohio State would deserve a NCG berth over an undefeated TCU because "Beating Miami is a bigger win than beating Utah would be for TCU." :rolleyes:

Beating Miami in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl for the National Title is indeed a bigger win than TCU possibly winning at Utah next month. That is true.

Beating Miami in 2010 in the Shoe when Miami has Jacory "Pickmaster 5000" Harris as QB is NOT a bigger win than TCU possibly winning at Utah next month. lolClevelandOhioSportsTalk

Here's how I see things shaking out.

Oregon has a significant chance of losing to USC this weekend. Auburn is also going to face a tough game against Alabama and they may wind up losing. I've also been saying all year that Utah will pull off the win against TCU, meaning that if these three things happen, Boise State will likely be the lone wolf at the top of the pack. I think Michigan State will suffer a loss because the BigTen competition is just too strong.

The way that I'm looking at it, Nebraska has a real chance to be a National Title spoiler for Missouri this weekend. I think (and hope) the Huskers will pull off the win. If they do, we'll have a strong chance of seeing Boise State against either Michigan State or maybe Oregon for the MNC.

Wouldn't an undefeated Utah jump Boise State, too? And in your scenario would you be surprised if a one loss Alabama team is sitting right there? Let's just say Bama beats Auburn in the Iron Bowl and go on to win the SEC championship against South Carolina (who should probably a top 20 team at the end). I could easily see Utah vs. Bama with the Broncos left out in the cold.

I think Utah might benefit from their move to the Pac-10 next year, too. Despite the fact that they're currently an non-AQ team, I think that if it comes down to Boise, TCU and Utah for the token "Non-AQ" spot in a bowl game, voters will be sympathetic to a future "Big Boy" team.

I could see a one loss Bama also getting sympathy as the defending Champ. I think a one loss Bama trumps a -1 Ohio State, -1 Nebraska, -1 Oklahoma, etc... for that reason.

I get your point, but I'm not talking about sympathy. An undefeated Utah would have slain a top 5 BCS team (they'd have to knock off TCU) and swept through a slightly tougher conference. No matter what Boise does, they can't match that.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Football on a Tuesday?? :blink:

Is this something that happens often?

For the teams that aren't in the big conferences, yes. The WAC, MAC & Sun Belt are the kings of college football on weeknights.

Kellen Moore just tied Ryan Dinwiddie's school record for touchdown passes. Still plenty of time to break the record.

Ryan Dinwiddie, good little QB (6'1"). Where is he now?

I will await to see their number apposed to Heat@Celtics. The stands were not full for a 7PM kickoff.

Kellen Moore just tied Ryan Dinwiddie's school record for touchdown passes. Still plenty of time to break the record.

Wow, I thought all this time that Jared Zabransky had the record.

I remember Dinwiddie, pretty good quarterback. I hadn't heard about him until the Grey Cup I think two years ago when he was Winnipeg's quarterback.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Anybody starting to think that Oregon or Auburn might play a 1-loss team from a BCS conference over Boise or TCU?

Judging by the way the year's going, there won't be ANY undefeateds left in BCS conferences. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Non-AQs get screwed again this year.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Anybody starting to think that Oregon or Auburn might play a 1-loss team from a BCS conference over Boise or TCU?

Judging by the way the year's going, there won't be ANY undefeateds left in BCS conferences. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Non-AQs get screwed again this year.

No. The only conference that I could see realistically vaulting a 1 loss team over Boise and TCU is the SEC.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Which team? 1-loss Alabama or maybe a 1-loss Auburn?

Alabama assuming they beat Auburn.

I'm having trouble conceiving of a scenario in which a 1 loss Auburn is capable of vaulting into the postseason. Mississippi and Georgia would be quite damaging losses, Chattanooga would be apocalyptic, and Alabama gets a tiebreak over Auburn.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Which team? 1-loss Alabama or maybe a 1-loss Auburn?

Alabama assuming they beat Auburn.

I'm having trouble conceiving of a scenario in which a 1 loss Auburn is capable of vaulting into the postseason. Mississippi and Georgia would be quite damaging losses, Chattanooga would be apocalyptic, and Alabama gets a tiebreak over Auburn.

If Alabama finishes with two losses it's possible.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived