2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

No, we're not playing under the same rules as the Auburns or USC's of the world. We will never play under their rules as long as we're in a non-AQ conference. The AQ schools make more money and therefore get the benefit of the doubt in bowl selection and the polls, whereas the Boise States of the world are nitpicked to death and bumped down for any excuse.

Oh please. Boise State has appeared in more BCS bowls since 2005 than Auburn and in just as many as Alabama has. Let's stop acting like they're still trying to kick down the door. Your team, as of today anyway, does not warrant a spot in the title game. Deal with it.

The upside is that could (and probably will) change between now and January. Why not save your whining and crying until it's actually necessary?

PS: Thanks to you, I am now off the Boise State bandwagon and on the TCU/Utah bandwagon. I hope TCU or Utah screws you out of a title shot. Talk about justice. :P

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What, are those teams too "white" for you or something? :P

OK, that one is lost on me. Does D_G have a thing for teams that aren't as "white?" Help a brother out and fill me in on the reference.

Agreed, fill me in as well

I've made a few comments in a few other topics using "old white males" as shorthand for the dominant political and socioeconomic class that's mostly resistant to change.

Lights Out, as he sometimes does, has extrapolated that to its most extreme position that I hate all white people.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I've made a few comments in a few other topics using "old white males" as shorthand for the dominant political and socioeconomic class that's mostly resistant to change.

Lights Out, as he sometimes does, has extrapolated that to its most extreme position that I hate all white people.

You mean you really don't hate all white people? Damn, and all this time I thought you did.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm not exactly sure if this goes here, or in another thread - but if your the praying type shoot up a prayer for former Mississippi State DE Nick Bell's family. He died last night after a short battle with cancer. He started for MSU Week 1 and 2 just this season.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

I'm not exactly sure if this goes here, or in another thread - but if your the praying type shoot up a prayer for former Mississippi State DE Nick Bell's family. He died last night after a short battle with cancer. He started for MSU Week 1 and 2 just this season.

Yeah that was extremely sad to hear. The man found out he had cancer on October 1st, and died on November 2nd. From all accounts I've heard from the coaches & players, he seemed like a genuinely good dude. Once again, an absolute shame to hear about this, especially considering he attended a game recently & appeared to be on the road to recovery. Can't remember if it was the UAB game or the Kentucky game. Either way, very sad news.

Oh please. Boise State has appeared in more BCS bowls since 2005 than Auburn and in just as many as Alabama has. Let's stop acting like they're still trying to kick down the door. Your team, as of today anyway, does not warrant a spot in the title game. Deal with it.

The upside is that could (and probably will) change between now and January. Why not save your whining and crying until it's actually necessary?

PS: Thanks to you, I am now off the Boise State bandwagon and on the TCU/Utah bandwagon. I hope TCU or Utah screws you out of a title shot. Talk about justice. :P

+1. Boise wants to complain but they just keep shooting themselves in the foot. I've posted it before, but my Cornhuskers tried to get them into a home-and-home series, but Boise resisted. Think about that for a second. There's not much upside for Nebraska. Lose, or even just barely win and you're the laughing stock of the league who got owned by Boise State. Tremendous upside for Boise State. A shot at one of the sports "classic powerhouse" teams. More than likely, a nationally televised matchup.

Why didn't this happen? Boise State Athletic Director Gene "Too high on my own supply" Blaymaier demanded AT LEAST $1mm in cash from Nebraska and a cut of the television revenue. Naturally, he did not reciprocate the offer for next year's game.

So, no thanks Boise. We'll keep playing Texas or Oklahoma. Or next season, Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. Without spending a dime.

When someone offers you their last beer, you don't take all the Cheetos, too. Boise complains the hated "BIG BOYS" actually offer them chances but the Broncos piss them away because they're either too stupid or too arrogant. I hope it's the former, because if they're simply arrogant, they're passing up what could develop into chances at a decent conference invite.

Want to play in a good conference? Then shut up and pay your dues. Boise should be jumping at the chance to play a major program - if anything, they should by the ones paying, not the host school. Boise's got it backwards. They're so concerned with protecting the win record on the Smurf Turf that they don't realize they need to humble themselves and play a 7 or 8 road-game season. Prove that you're willing to go out on a limb and be FLEXIBLE.

You can still beat our teams in games, in fact, that's great if you do! Boise's got the competitive strength, but the mental maturity of a 4-year old. They're like Tom Hanks in "Big."

So suck it up and pay some dues. Or don't. And stick to being the King of the Nobodies.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

How is it at all immature for Boise to ask for more money while negotiating a series with a big-time program? They're not even in the same stratosphere as Nebraska in terms of size and endowments. They're a small school in the Northwest with a 30,000 seat stadium and without the gigantic endowments that an AQ school gets. They NEED that extra money from scheduling in order to pay the bills and keep the football program going. That's not being immature or arrogant or stupid, that's being fiscally responsible.

And by the way, Nebraska and their ilk have no problem handing a big check to a cupcake FCS opponent. It shouldn't be harder to justify handing a big check to play a quality opponent that can help your own strength of schedule.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

How is it at all immature for Boise to ask for more money while negotiating a series with a big-time program? They're not even in the same stratosphere as Nebraska in terms of size and endowments. They're a small school in the Northwest with a 30,000 seat stadium and without the gigantic endowments that an AQ school gets. They NEED that extra money from scheduling in order to pay the bills and keep the football program going. That's not being immature or arrogant or stupid, that's being fiscally responsible.

You're playing the "fiscal responsibility" card in college athletics. That's a hoot.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Also, the idea of spending the majority of the season on the road is laughable. I guess they'd better shut down Bronco Stadium and become a traveling team if they want a chance at a title, right? :rolleyes:

They might make more money that way Mr. Fiscal Responsibility.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

But they'd also screw over loyal fans of the program that want to see a game close to home.

There's this thing called "High Definition Television". It should be workable for the 30-40 thousand of you. :P

Today, we are all otaku.

And by the way, Nebraska and their ilk have no problem handing a big check to a cupcake FCS opponent. It shouldn't be harder to justify handing a big check to play a quality opponent that can help your own strength of schedule.

That's also because we usually don't reciprocate with a return visit to their stadium. We make $0 by traveling and playing at places like Stephen F. Austin University or Grambling State.

And hey... I'll take "ilk" any day if it gets me 5 National Titles and TWO BCS conferences who want my team.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived