2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Well then, it's starting to look likely that the last Big XII title game will be Oklahoma State-Nebraska. I'm not sure how many people saw that matchup coming.

Well, Nebraska was favored to get in from the North... Not so much Oklahoma State.

This now into my BCS picks for this week.

Automatic Bids

ACC: Virginia Tech (4-0)

Big 12: Nebraska (4-1) [Wins tiebreaker over Oklahoma State via head-to-head]

Big East: Pittsburgh (3-0)

Big Ten: Michigan State (5-1)

Pac-10: Oregon (6-0)

SEC: Auburn (6-0)

Once again, Oregon and Auburn will play each other in the National Championship Game.

The remaining conference champs are then slotted (Nebraska in the Fiesta Bowl, Michigan State in the Rose Bowl, Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl and Pittsburgh in the Sugar Bowl)

Now come the at-larges. TCU, by being the highest ranked Non-AQ team, gets an automatic bid and will be headed to the Rose Bowl by rule.

Stanford, at 8-1, takes an at-large bid and heads to the Fiesta Bowl to play Nebraska.

Next up is LSU. The Tigers takes the SEC's Sugar Bowl spot vacated by Auburn's appearance in the National Championship Game and will play Pittsburgh

The last at-large will come down to three teams: Wisconsin, Ohio State and Boise State. With TCU taking the Non-AQ auto bid, this knocks Boise out. With Wisconsin beating Ohio State, the Badgers take the final at-large bid and heads to the Orange Bowl to play Virginia Tech.

BCS Games

National Championship Game: Oregon vs. Auburn

Fiesta Bowl: Stanford vs. Nebraska

Rose Bowl: Michigan State vs. TCU

Sugar Bowl: LSU vs. Pittsburgh

Orange Bowl: Wisconsin vs. Virginia Tech

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally, I think TCU could beat just about anybody. In my opinion, they'd handily defeat Boise, and if they get a ticket to the Rose Bowl (or whatever other BCS bowl takes them if they qualify), I think they'd take care of a Wisconsin or Michigan State or whoever they'd get.

Not bad for a school that's considered, at least in terms of "best options to go play college football" for Texas high-schoolers, the 4th- or 5th-best college in the state. For the most part, TCU is getting the kids that Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Baylor (not to mention Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and even LSU and Arkansas) didn't want.

The last at-large will come down to three teams: Wisconsin, Ohio State and Boise State. With TCU taking the Non-AQ auto bid, this knocks Boise out. With Wisconsin beating Ohio State, the Badgers take the final at-large bid and heads to the Orange Bowl to play Virginia Tech.

The bowl committees aren't about fairness and creating the best matchup when it comes to selecting teams. If a bowl's got options, they're going to go with the school that'll sell the most tickets, fill up the restaurants and hotels, and spend a lot of money in the process. We know Boise State doesn't have this track record, so they likely aren't getting the invite. I don't know about the fanbase of Wisconsin's history of travelling, but I know they aren't in Ohio State's neighborhood. Not many schools are. No way in hell does Wisconsin get the invite if Ohio State is there for the taking.

Personally, I think TCU could beat just about anybody. In my opinion, they'd handily defeat Boise, and if they get a ticket to the Rose Bowl (or whatever other BCS bowl takes them if they qualify), I think they'd take care of a Wisconsin or Michigan State or whoever they'd get.

Not bad for a school that's considered, at least in terms of "best options to go play college football" for Texas high-schoolers, the 4th- or 5th-best college in the state. For the most part, TCU is getting the kids that Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Baylor (not to mention Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and even LSU and Arkansas) didn't want.

The bowl committees aren't about fairness and creating the best matchup when it comes to selecting teams. If a bowl's got options, they're going to go with the school that'll sell the most tickets, fill up the restaurants and hotels, and spend a lot of money in the process. We know Boise State doesn't have this track record, so they likely aren't getting the invite. I don't know about the fanbase of Wisconsin's history of travelling, but I know they aren't in Ohio State's neighborhood. Not many schools are. No way in hell does Wisconsin get the invite if Ohio State is there for the taking.

I'd say Wisconsin is close enough in the ballpark that they could get the nod over Ohio State. Especially since IIRC Ohio State's fanbase seems to be demonstrating some "BCS fatigue" and isn't showing up to the Bowl games in the numbers they formerly did.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'd say Wisconsin is close enough in the ballpark that they could get the nod over Ohio State. Especially since IIRC Ohio State's fanbase seems to be demonstrating some "BCS fatigue" and isn't showing up to the Bowl games in the numbers they formerly did.

This is true. Part of it is "BCS fatigue" and part of it is a really lousy economy in Ohio right now. No one has the money to head off to Pasadena or New Orleans etc. In any case, Wisconsin would travel well for a BCS bowl. They don't get to them as often as Ohio State does so it might be a little bit of a bigger deal to their fans than it would be to us. I don't mean that to sound arrogant it's just that Ohio State travels so well that they will always get first crack at BCS bids.

I'll be the first to admit that there are times when those bids could have gone to more deserving teams but until the Boise States and TCUs of the world can put 40,000+ people in a stadium for a bowl game, Ohio State is always going to get the first look if they're eligible.

BB52Big.jpg

Well then, it's starting to look likely that the last Big XII title game will be Oklahoma State-Nebraska. I'm not sure how many people saw that matchup coming.

Well, Nebraska was favored to get in from the North... Not so much Oklahoma State.

Automatic Bids

Once again, Oregon and Auburn will play each other in the National Championship Game.

The remaining conference champs are then slotted (Nebraska in the Fiesta Bowl, Michigan State in the Rose Bowl, Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl and Pittsburgh in the Sugar Bowl)

Now come the at-larges. TCU, by being the highest ranked Non-AQ team, gets an automatic bid and will be headed to the Fiesta Bowl to play Nebraska.

That is incorrect. Under this new BCS agreement (2011-2014), if the Rose Bowl loses an anchor team, in this case, Oregon to the title game, it MUST take the highest ranked Non-AQ team if that team is not in the title game too. They only have to do this once in the four year term of the contract, but they must do it the first time it occurs.

If the highest-ranked non-AQ team does play for the title, then the Rose Bowl is relieved of its obligation but would still have the option to take a non-AQ school.

Automatic Bids

I could argue you over Michigan State - I would probably put Wisconsin there because of how I feel about tied teams - but we'll agree to disagree.

Pittsburgh is not slotted into the Sugar Bowl. The Big East champion is not placed into any particular bowl to start with, they are placed like an at-large (but they must be taken.

Now come the at-larges. TCU, by being the highest ranked Non-AQ team, gets an automatic bid and will be headed to the Fiesta Bowl to play Nebraska.

No. TCU, by being the highest ranked non-AQ team, does indeed go to a bowl game, but they MUST be taken by the Rose Bowl. It's in the agreement that the first time the Big Ten or the Pac-10 send a team to the NCG over the next four years, the Rose Bowl gets any team that automatically qualifies as a non-AQ. So right now, three at-larges remain, plus Pittsburgh.

Stanford, at 8-1, takes an at-large bid to preserve the Big 10-Pac 10 tradtion of the Rose Bowl as they play Michigan State

Slot already filled by TCU - the Rose Bowl is screwed.

Next up is LSU. The Tigers takes the SEC's Sugar Bowl spot vacated by Auburn's appearance in the National Championship Game and will play Pittsburgh

LSU I have no argument with. Pittsburgh, however, as the first team chosen, I cannot agree with. I think at this point, the at-large pool looks like this: Boise State, Stanford, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Iowa, (Pittsburgh). The question here is who looks most attractive to the Sugar Bowl, and I'd give the nod to Wisconsin at this point, by a hair.

Then the Orange Bowl has their take. Since Wisconsin was taken, Ohio State and Iowa can't be. Given Boise State, Stanford, Oklahoma State, and Pittsburgh, I'd say it's probably Oklahoma State or Pittsburgh that gets Virginia Tech.

If the Orange Bowl takes Oklahoma State, the Fiesta Bowl is stuck with Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh goes Orange, then you *might* see Fiesta take Boise State. Then again, they may take Stanford.

LvZYtbZ.png

Looking at the new AP Poll..... "This'll quiet that Boise State bandwagon!"

By the way, Boise can have Dan Hawkins back. As long as he stays in Boulder, he's at the top of my 'Piece of crap list'.

6uXNWAo.png

OK, OK... I made the correct changes with the Rose and Fiesta Bowls. I keep forgetting the Rose has first dibs on the Non-AQ Auto Bid

As for Pittsburgh: It's not about who's more attractive (although I'll get hounded for saying that), it's about putting a team there. I would think the Sugar Bowl Committee would give a conference champion the nod over another at-large team.

Yeah...Boise States needs to win out and cross their fingers for two upsets. Doesn't look especially good for the Broncos.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Again, the AP Poll doesn't count in the BC$ rankings. Hopefully the computers are far kinder to Boise considering they blew out the 26th-ranked team in the country yesterday. At very least, it's more of a quality win than Auburn rolling Chattanooga, at least it is for people with common sense, none of whom work for the BC$.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Again, the AP Poll doesn't count in the BC$ rankings. Hopefully the computers are far kinder to Boise considering they blew out the 26th-ranked team in the country yesterday. At very least, it's more of a quality win than Auburn rolling Chattanooga, at least it is for people with common sense, none of whom work for the BC$.

People with common sense know that Boise $tate is apart of a conspiracy regarding non-AQ conferences. Teams like Auburn and Oregon knew that in 1998, they were embarking on a horrible scheme that keeps teams like B$ out of the National Championship game. Partnering with the Lou Holtz Gang, the AQ conferences made a pact to keep non-AQ teams out of the NC Game no matter how bad the rest of the nation was. Finally, Light$ Out, you have recognized their scheme, including the cryptic me$$age system that the BC$ uses. You know too much, Lights Out, you must pay for your knowledge! :devil:

People with common sense know that Boise $tate is apart of a conspiracy regarding non-AQ conferences. Teams like Auburn and Oregon knew that in 1998, they were embarking on a horrible scheme that keeps teams like B$ out of the National Championship game. Partnering with the Lou Holtz Gang, the AQ conferences made a pact to keep non-AQ teams out of the NC Game no matter how bad the rest of the nation was. Finally, Light$ Out, you have recognized their scheme, including the cryptic me$$age system that the BC$ uses. You know too much, Lights Out, you must pay for your knowledge! :devil:

Wow, that's exactly right.

BB52Big.jpg

OK, OK... I made the correct changes with the Rose and Fiesta Bowls. I keep forgetting the Rose has first dibs on the Non-AQ Auto Bid

As for Pittsburgh: It's not about who's more attractive (although I'll get hounded for saying that), it's about putting a team there. I would think the Sugar Bowl Committee would give a conference champion the nod over another at-large team.

Depends on the at-large though. I'd think if they had a chance at a Wisconsin or an Ohio State who would be tied for the conference lead, they might take them over Pittsburgh.

LvZYtbZ.png

Depends on the at-large though. I'd think if they had a chance at a Wisconsin or an Ohio State who would be tied for the conference lead, they might take them over Pittsburgh.

Sure. What's one more Big Ten-SEC Bowl game? :rolleyes:

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Another Big Ten loss? Or was that a rhetorical question?

BB52Big.jpg

Sarcasm more than anything else, since between the Capital One Citrus, Outback, and Gator Bowls the Big Ten and SEC seem to have quite the January challenge series going.

Today, we are all otaku.

Sarcasm more than anything else, since between the Capital One Citrus, Outback, and Gator Bowls the Big Ten and SEC seem to have quite the January challenge series going.

And since 2000 the Big Ten has a winning record against the SEC in the Capital Citrus Bowl. (You gotta take what you can get when you're a Big Ten fan.)

BB52Big.jpg

Archived