2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Not to veer too far off topic, but the BCS is a market-driven enterprise; it only exists to maximize revenue. Some would have us believe that should be the goal of any venture. If some otherwise deserving schools get left out because they weren't part of the entrenched elites that developed the system, well, just too bad for them!

It really is not market driven, it is driven by the bowl games themselves and the bonuses which coaches and ADs get from becoming a bowl participant. The book, "Death to the BCS: The Definitive Case Against the Bowl Championship Series" really points it out. Co-author Dan Wetzel has been doing the rounds on the book tour and here is a podcast which he did in Tucson on 10/13/10 in which he sheds more light on the bowl system and BCS.

NOTE: The interview is basically the first 15 minutes of the podcast.

Okay, fine. Entrenched powers make rules to enrich themselves and screw over future generations. Same idea.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Boise State supporter I have an issue with the Big Least and ACC. I don't have an issue with TCU what they did to Utah earned them a top ranking in my book.

I just will be sick to my stomach if a Top 5 ranked BSU has to play in the Feed the World Bowl with Pitt from a terrible AQ Big East getting in. This is where I think the BCS is broken most. When the BCS was drawn up Miami, VA Tech and Boston College were all in the Big East so making them a AQ made sense. However, the league is weakened severely. The ACC is also down the last few years, and the Big XII is sorta down this year. I think Boise State would win either of these three conferences along with the Big Ten.

This is why a playoff is needed it is the only fair thing.

Top 12 get in with Top 4 getting byes

AQ winners get in and the rest will be at large based on rankings.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

As a Boise State supporter I have an issue with the Big Least and ACC. I don't have an issue with TCU what they did to Utah earned them a top ranking in my book.

I just will be sick to my stomach if a Top 5 ranked BSU has to play in the Feed the World Bowl with Pitt from a terrible AQ Big East getting in. This is where I think the BCS is broken most. When the BCS was drawn up Miami, VA Tech and Boston College were all in the Big East so making them a AQ made sense. However, the league is weakened severely. The ACC is also down the last few years, and the Big XII is sorta down this year. I think Boise State would win either of these three conferences along with the Big Ten.

Since Miami, BC and VT left the Big East, the conference still has a higher average than the WAC and MWC when the three prong test to determine AQ status is applied. The formula to determine if a seventh conference will qualify will not be made until following the 2011 season. Plus, a school must be in their conference by December 4, 2011 (that will still have Nevada and Fresno St. in the WAC for the calculation along with BYU and Utah out from the MWC. This will hurt the MWC's quest.)

Be angrier that the MWC has a poor TV contract through 2015-16, so all the "big" games will be on CBSC.

Colorado was up 45-17 in the 4th and they lost 52-45 to Kansas as Kansas reels off 35 unanswered points. What the F is that all about?

Excellent.

Not that I would normally celebrate a Colorado loss, but this is just one loss closer to the demise of Hawkins. :D

That did it.

Colorado was up 45-17 in the 4th and they lost 52-45 to Kansas as Kansas reels off 35 unanswered points. What the F is that all about?

Excellent.

Not that I would normally celebrate a Colorado loss, but this is just one loss closer to the demise of Hawkins. :D

That did it.

I did love reading that some CU fan tried to calculate what would have happened if Hawkins had the QB take a knee most of the 4th.

Excellent.

That did it.

Hallelujah!

I can root for Colorado Golden Buffaloes football once again. (dance):boogie:

P.S. :censored: you, Hawkins. :censored: you.

6uXNWAo.png

Excellent.

That did it.

I did love reading that some CU fan tried to calculate what would have happened if Hawkins had the QB take a knee most of the 4th.

Sounds like something a Finebaum caller would come up with.

"WELL, DANGIT, WUT IF HAWKINS HAD CODEH JUST TAKE A KNEEL-DOWN WITH A 4 TOUCHDOWN LEAD? IT'S A DAGGUN TRAGUDY WE HAD TO LOSE THIS'UN, PAUL. A DAGGUN TRAGUDY!!!"

Now the question is: Who will replace Hawkins full-time in Boulder? Who can Colorado even lure, considering their program is a fat, smelly cesspool at the moment?

They were also #11 of the Big XII schools in terms of coaching salary. Only Iowa State (Paul Rhodes) made less than the $1.5M Hawkins did. The same money in the Pac 12 goes a little farther, but Wulff (or his replacement) will have a higher base.

Are you sure it isn't the fact that they'd be playing in a bowl with a liberal name that bothers you? :P

Anyway, your playoff plan doesn't eliminate the biggest complaint people have about the BCS; the polls. All your plan does is move the complaining from team #3 to teams #13-20. With 12 teams picked solely on their rankings, you've just added a whole bunch of new problems.

If you want a real playoff, a playoff that doesn't diminish the importance of the regular season, then you need to go with the infrared41 plan. It doesn't completely eliminate the polls but, if I say so myself, it's the best plan I've seen so far. :D The bowls wouldn't get hurt too badly either.

The six highest ranked conference champions and two at large teams make the playoff. The four BCS bowls serve as sites for the first round. The semi-final sites and title game are up for bid just like the Super Bowl or they can simply rotate the games like they do the NC game right now. As of today's rankings and standings, here's an example of what my playoff could look like this season. For the conferences with championship games I'm basing it on who I think would win.

Conference champs: Oregon, Auburn, TCU, Boise State, Wisconsin, Nebraska.

At large: LSU, Stanford.

That ain't such a bad field if you ask me. Or you can just go with the 8 highest ranked conference champions. Replace LSU and Stanford with Virginia Tech and UCF.

BB52Big.jpg

Excellent.

That did it.

Sounds like something a Finebaum caller would come up with.

"WELL, DANGIT, WUT IF HAWKINS HAD CODEH JUST TAKE A KNEEL-DOWN WITH A 4 TOUCHDOWN LEAD? IT'S A DAGGUN TRAGUDY WE HAD TO LOSE THIS'UN, PAUL. A DAGGUN TRAGUDY!!!"

Our Finebaum topic for Tuesday, Cam Newton and academic fraud @ Florida.

Nick Saban thanks writers for now leaving him alone for the next 36 hours.

I have a feeling if Auburn wins the National Title it will be vacated at this point, it seems there are many things surroung Newton. On the field he is amazing but wow this could be a black eye for the NCAA.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Yeah. Unless they want another 'Reggie Bush' on their hands, Cam Newton can all but forget the Heisman Trophy now....

Newton, Father Talked Of Pay-To-Play Plan

The sources said that prior to Newton's commitment to Auburn, Cecil Newton said it would take "more than a scholarship" to get his son to that school and that a third party could provide specifics. Newton was told the school would not meet such a request, according to the sources, who say the information was relayed to SEC officials. An emotional Cam Newton is said to have later called another Mississippi State recruiter to express regret over changing his commitment to the school but that his father chose Auburn because "the money was too much."

6uXNWAo.png

Yeah. Unless they want another 'Reggie Bush' on their hands, Cam Newton can all but forget the Heisman Trophy now....

Newton, Father Talked Of Pay-To-Play Plan

The sources said that prior to Newton's commitment to Auburn, Cecil Newton said it would take "more than a scholarship" to get his son to that school and that a third party could provide specifics. Newton was told the school would not meet such a request, according to the sources, who say the information was relayed to SEC officials. An emotional Cam Newton is said to have later called another Mississippi State recruiter to express regret over changing his commitment to the school but that his father chose Auburn because "the money was too much."

Oh, look....there's the NCAA banhammer and retcon button at the ready.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Does this controversy mean Boise State gets in the championship game? If this doesn't open the door for the Broncos, Lights Out is going to go "bat- :censored: crazy" (thanks Jigga).

No. Boise will still get jumped by a BCS Team, or if a Non-AQ MUST PLAY, then my money is on TCU.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I'd heard that the NCAA has requested bank records from Cam and his father and wondered what would happen if they both just said no. Does anyone know?

Nothing would happen to them if they (the Newton family) did not cooperate because the NCAA does not have subpoena power. All it would do is make their investigation take longer.

If the Miss. State compliance people were told of this in January, why is it taking until now and why isn't the SEC making him sit?

Archived