2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

If Rich Rod is still at Michigan, that will be a great game. The class that will be seniors that year is a very good one. It is nice to see Dave Brandon, the new AD, trying to schedule some other traditional powerhouses. If Nebraska to the Big Ten doesn't change anything schedule-wise, Michigan will also be playing AT Notre Dame, and AT Ohio State that year. They would have at most 6 home games. That would be one tough schedule. Hopefully this is true.

This is now "it depends on who your are talking too" issue. Michigan bloggers say it is a done deal, but through this afternoon, beat writers who watched Alabama practice today were told that the matchup has been discussed, but is far from certain. Michigan will probably have Les Miles or Harbaugh on the sideline by that time.

As far as the Cowboys, Cowboys Stadium spokesman Brett Daniels in March said, "They (at ESPN) are responsible for working with the teams. They do all the match-making and then we get with the teams. We definitely want to get college football in the building."

According to them, Dallas, Jacksonville, and Atlanta are all still possibilities for their game. Michigan is the fourth opponent tossed about since May (Tx Tech, UCLA, Miami, and Michigan). Miami is out since they signed up Notre Dame for 2012.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michigan-Bama Chick-Fil-A kickoff in 2012 at the Georgia Dome makes sense but I don't know if that's an ACC/SEC type thing.

The Chick-Fil-A Kickoff game isn't limited to just ACC and SEC teams. It's just worked out that way so far because most teams have scheduling restrictions, with this being a fairly new event and all. They were trying to recruit Southern Cal, but no word on how that went.

I'm sure they'll have an ACC or SEC team there each year, just to have one "local" team to sell tickets to. There's no guarantee that two out-of-area conference schools (say, Texas vs. Ohio State) would sellout a regular season game.

Guys, science can't prove anything. So the theory abot darker colors absorbing more heat could be false.

Wow. I say this with all due respect, you are one serious :censored:-ing idiot if you really believe that.

Say whatever the heck you want. I don't care.

If Rich Rod is still at Michigan, that will be a great game. The class that will be seniors that year is a very good one. It is nice to see Dave Brandon, the new AD, trying to schedule some other traditional powerhouses. If Nebraska to the Big Ten doesn't change anything schedule-wise, Michigan will also be playing AT Notre Dame, and AT Ohio State that year. They would have at most 6 home games. That would be one tough schedule. Hopefully this is true.

This is now "it depends on who your are talking too" issue. Michigan bloggers say it is a done deal, but through this afternoon, beat writers who watched Alabama practice today were told that the matchup has been discussed, but is far from certain. Michigan will probably have Les Miles or Harbaugh on the sideline by that time.

As far as the Cowboys, Cowboys Stadium spokesman Brett Daniels in March said, "They (at ESPN) are responsible for working with the teams. They do all the match-making and then we get with the teams. We definitely want to get college football in the building."

According to them, Dallas, Jacksonville, and Atlanta are all still possibilities for their game. Michigan is the fourth opponent tossed about since May (Tx Tech, UCLA, Miami, and Michigan). Miami is out since they signed up Notre Dame for 2012.

Miles has, to what I have gathered, disqualified himself for all future consideration following a series a catastrophically bad on and off field gaffes (clock fiasco vs Ole Miss and last week's oversigning incident) and a fairly solid demonstration that he is a mediocre coach who can't keep it together for an entire season.

Harbaugh may not be politically acceptable to everyone either, he's burned quite a few bridges in Ann Arbor with some of his public comments.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Now I oppose Title IX as much as the next guy, but...

HP4O0150-vi.jpg

:D

Wait, you OPPOSE it? So you're saying that you were swayed by that "swimsuit model?"

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Guys, science can't prove anything. So the theory abot darker colors absorbing more heat could be false.

Wow. I say this with all due respect, you are one serious :censored:-ing idiot if you really believe that.

Step out onto a blacktop parking lot in Needles, California in late July. Stand there for just a bit, then step onto the sand next to it.

Pretty easy to prove that theory.

Wow. I say this with all due respect, you are one serious censored.gif-ing idiot if you really believe that.

Step out onto a blacktop parking lot in Needles, California in late July. Stand there for just a bit, then step onto the sand next to it.

Pretty easy to prove that theory.

Or Phoenix, you'll get the point

Papa John's.com Bowl becomes Birmingham Bowl

Also, for those who feel a playoff system would destroy this inherently special pageantry and tradition of the Bowls, please read the article. It was destroyed a long time ago.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Bumping this back up with the USA Today Coaches Poll

1. Alabama

2. Ohio State

3. Florida

4. Texas

5. Boise State

6. Virginia Tech

7. TCU

8. Oklahoma

9. Nebraska

10. Iowa

11. Oregon

12. Wisconsin

13. Miami(FL)

14. Penn State

15. Pitt

16. LSU

17. Georgia Tech

18. North Carolina

19. Arkansas

20. Florida State

21. Georgia

22. Oregon State

23. Auburn

24. Utah

25. West Virginia

Only part I don't agree with from the USA Today Poll is Florida at 3. Top 10 for sure but I feel Boise State at 3 & VATech at 4 works.

Either way that game at FedEx will be a treat after a less then sub par opening week.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Here is the AP Top 25 (though it's pretty much irrelevant).

1. Alabama (54)
  2. Ohio State (3)
  3. Boise State (1)
  4. Florida
  5. Texas (1)
  6. TCU
  7. Oklahoma (1)
  8. Nebraska
  9. Iowa
  10. Virginia Tech
  11. Oregon
  12. Wisconsin
  13. Miami (FL)
  14. USC
  15. Pittsburgh
  16. Georgia Tech
  17. Arkansas
  18. North Carolina
  19. Penn State
  20. Florida State
  21. LSU
  22. Auburn
  23. Georgia
  24. Oregon State
  25. West Virginia

Others receiving votes: Cincinnati 108, Stanford 81, Utah 80, South Carolina 71, Houston 66, Connecticut 32, Notre Dame 31, Missouri 27, Brigham Young 19, Arizona 15, Clemson 15, Texas Tech 14, Navy 12, Washington 8, Texas A&M 7, Mississippi 6, Oklahoma State 3, Middle Tennessee 2, Central Michigan 2, Temple 2, UCF 1, Boston College 1, Southern Methodist 1

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

1. Alabama

2. Ohio State

3. Florida

4. Texas

5. Boise State

6. Virginia Tech

7. TCU

8. Oklahoma

9. Nebraska

10. Iowa

11. Oregon

12. Wisconsin

================

13. Miami(FL)

14. Penn State

15. Pitt

16. LSU

17. Georgia Tech

18. North Carolina

19. Arkansas

20. Florida State

21. Georgia

22. Oregon State

23. Auburn

24. Utah

25. West Virginia

And don't forget that Boise State and Virginia Tech play each other Week 1. I'd say the loser falls about 5 or 6 spots, so everyone from Wisconsin up should get a nice bump. If teams like Iowa, Nebraska and Oregon can stay undefeated for the first 4 or 5 weeks, there should be another uptick from the fallout of Bama-Florida, too.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

1. Alabama

2. Ohio State

3. Florida

4. Texas

5. Boise State

6. Virginia Tech

7. TCU

8. Oklahoma

9. Nebraska

10. Iowa

11. Oregon

12. Wisconsin

================

13. Miami(FL)

14. Penn State

15. Pitt

16. LSU

17. Georgia Tech

18. North Carolina

19. Arkansas

20. Florida State

21. Georgia

22. Oregon State

23. Auburn

24. Utah

25. West Virginia

And don't forget that Boise State and Virginia Tech play each other Week 1. I'd say the loser falls about 5 or 6 spots, so everyone from Wisconsin up should get a nice bump. If teams like Iowa, Nebraska and Oregon can stay undefeated for the first 4 or 5 weeks, there should be another uptick from the fallout of Bama-Florida, too.

But the SOS for both Boise and TCU are based on Oregon State. Each play the Beavers, but even if Boise loses to VaTech, their SOS should be higher than TCU. This is where the Harris poll should be the "eye test", yet may impact on the non-AQ schools since they will not be on TV as much

This might be the year that I wish it was a rule that a team must win their conference to have a shot at the national title. It's fair to everyone, given that practically every team is in a conference these days. I mean, would you rather see a 12-0 Boise team in the title game or a once-beaten Penn State who didn't win their conference?

LvZYtbZ.png

This might be the year that I wish it was a rule that a team must win their conference to have a shot at the national title. It's fair to everyone, given that practically every team is in a conference these days. I mean, would you rather see a 12-0 Boise team in the title game or a once-beaten Notre Dame that isn't even in a Conference

What Will really thinks

It seems like it's never too early for will's crackpot theories, hm?

Now, if you ask me, a 12-0 Boise State team should have a chance to compete for the National Championship. The pieces are there for the Broncos to make a move to the BCS Championship Game. All they need is for Ohio State and/or Alabama to lose along the way... Which can happen. Ohio State has games at Wisconsin and Iowa while Alabama hosts Penn State and Florida along with road games at Arkansas and LSU. You can't tell me that both of these teams are so good that they'll run roughshod over everyone? Everyone has a weak point and sometimes, those weak points will come back to bite you in the ass.

Archived