MLB Must ACT -- White Sox / Twins

NYYNYR

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone on another website keeps a uniform tracker, and here is the results through yesterday:

Home White: 10 games

Road Gray: 10 games

Black Alt: 68 games

That is friggin ridiculous. Not only has it become the defacto road jersey, it is the defacto home jersey too. That is especially bad since the black jersey, while good in moderation, is by far the worst of the three. For branding purposes, it is stupid for the team to allow this to happen. They are trying to sell the fans white and gray jerseys which almost never see the field. The White Sox need to get their act together and limit the use of alts to once or twice a week on set days of the week. I also think MLB needs a strict rule (supported by fines) that only one team can wear alts in any given game. I don't care if the colors are as different as orange and black. One team should be in normal jerseys.

Eeeeeeeeeexactly my point. Amen. How about we get a petition going? That is insane. 77 % of the time you're using a black alternate. Friggin' awful. MLB needs to step in; I agree. I'm not big on "big brother" or making unnecessary rules, but this is getting out of hand. You get to wear the alts 2x a week. That's it. Once on road, once at home (if that applies). But two total. That's it. Or you can' wear it more than 30 times in a season (you pick which 30 you use it). And decide on 3 jerseys, not 4 or 5. Pick you top 3 and go with it. That would make teams think twice about adding an unnecessary black. Why do the Royals need home / away (which are both nice) and a royal blue and a powder blue?

I don't have much of a problem with it, the teams can choose whatever uniform (as long as it's not Color 1 vs. Color 1). But when you only wear your standard home/road uniforms roughly 22.7% of the time, you've gotta give the alternates a break.

Or, could it be that Ozzie's just being supersticious about things and having the club wear the same unis so long as their streak is going.

I don't have much of a problem with it, the teams can choose whatever uniform (as long as it's not Color 1 vs. Color 1). But when you only wear your standard home/road uniforms roughly 22.7% of the time, you've gotta give the alternates a break.

Or, could it be that Ozzie's just being supersticious about things and having the club wear the same unis so long as their streak is going.

Yet, they won the most recent game in which home white was used. So it's starting to make no sense.

The starting pitcher picks the jersey. About 5 years ago they started sticking with whatever they won in and changing it after losses. In the 2005 postseason they wore the sleeveless vests for the first 3 home games, and after losing game 1 to LAA, we only saw the regular home jerseys and road grays the rest of the time. The black alts were thankfully left in the closets.

In the last few years they stopped sticking to their plan of wearing jerseys until they lost and then switching. Buehrle almost always wears black, even if they are on a winning streak in white or gray. Many times they have interrupted a winning streak in another jersey to wear black. They ALWAYS change away from the white/gray after a loss, but often times they wear black for multiple losses in a row. The players have said garbage about the black jerseys being "cool" and "intimidating", etc.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Sox have used the "Good Guys Wear Black" meme since they changed uniforms back in 91 to coincide with the opening of the ballpark. I suppose they wear it a little too often, but I've always thought it looked great. And nobody in the Sox organization, not even Ozzie, is going to tell Mark Buehrle he can't wear it for aesthetic reasons.

SOX MARKETING: Mark, you need to wear the white jersey at home.Pinstripes and all. People expect it.

MARK BUEHRLE: But I...black...no-hitter...perfect game...

SOX MARKETING: Yeah, you're right. See you later. Forget we ever talked.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Someone on another website keeps a uniform tracker, and here is the results through yesterday:

That is friggin ridiculous. Not only has it become the defacto road jersey, it is the defacto home jersey too. That is especially bad since the black jersey, while good in moderation, is by far the worst of the three. For branding purposes, it is stupid for the team to allow this to happen. They are trying to sell the fans white and gray jerseys which almost never see the field. The White Sox need to get their act together and limit the use of alts to once or twice a week on set days of the week. I also think MLB needs a strict rule (supported by fines) that only one team can wear alts in any given game. I don't care if the colors are as different as orange and black. One team should be in normal jerseys.

The starting pitcher picks the jersey. About 5 years ago they started sticking with whatever they won in and changing it after losses. In the 2005 postseason they wore the sleeveless vests for the first 3 home games, and after losing game 1 to LAA, we only saw the regular home jerseys and road grays the rest of the time. The black alts were thankfully left in the closets.

In the last few years they stopped sticking to their plan of wearing jerseys until they lost and then switching. Buehrle almost always wears black, even if they are on a winning streak in white or gray. Many times they have interrupted a winning streak in another jersey to wear black. They ALWAYS change away from the white/gray after a loss, but often times they wear black for multiple losses in a row. The players have said garbage about the black jerseys being "cool" and "intimidating", etc.

I still thought they were doing that to some extent, but those numbers you posted above show me how wrong I was. I had no idea it was that bad. 68-10-10? That is worse than the Cubs (but probably only because Zambrano has been out of the rotation so much this year).

Besides Buehrle's success in the black, could it be all of the hype that "Blackout" 163rd game against the Twins got in 2008 that helped fuel this?

Besides Buehrle's success in the black, could it be all of the hype that "Blackout" 163rd game against the Twins got in 2008 that helped fuel this?

They wore the pinstripes in that game, though.

Ha. That's right. So I guess the answer would be "no." I don't get it.

Christ people, the front office could care less about what jerseys the teams are wearing. It might look displeasing to the eye, but what a ludicrous thread.

You've pretty much missed the entire point of this board, eh?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I saw navy vs. navy once (1998 or so Padres vs. Brewers at County Stadium) and it was awful. This is not as bad, but yeah, it's not fun for those in what used to be known as the cheap seats. I'd rather they just have a rule that if the home team picks an alt, the road team must wear the primary. I know A's/Twins or Reds/Brewers would not be too bad, but so what. Is it that important that teams wear their alts that often? Just a simple rule about alts so know judgments have to be made about black vs. blue or royal vs. navy.

There is a rule. MLB instituted it a couple of years ago. Teams are discouraged from wearing similar-colored alts against each other. Navy/Black and Red/Brick/Orange are considered matches, in addition to the teams that have the same color alts. And home team gets first choice, but teams are notified in advance so they know to bring the necessary jerseys (like HOU, who will take their greys to ATL, ARI, SF, and TEX this season to switch out of the bricks when needed).

I've read this statement of fact before. Does anyone "in the know" have evidence that can back it up? Just asking, and I'm not from Missouri :-)

It's where I sit.

Actually I'll completely disagree with you and say it's not ridiculous, because it's actually consistency. And actually MLB does not need to act at all. This isn't a dictatorship where everyone has to wear what you want, they have the freedom to choose and to market their jerseys the way they want to. You want that dictatorship, go get a console MLB game and choose the jerseys you want the teams to wear.

Actually I'll completely disagree with you and say it's not ridiculous, because it's actually consistency. And actually MLB does not need to act at all. This isn't a dictatorship where everyone has to wear what you want, they have the freedom to choose and to market their jerseys the way they want to. You want that dictatorship, go get a console MLB game and choose the jerseys you want the teams to wear.

:rolleyes: But I like your dictatorship idea.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Eeeeeeeeeexactly my point. Amen. How about we get a petition going? That is insane. 77 % of the time you're using a black alternate. Friggin' awful. MLB needs to step in; I agree. I'm not big on "big brother" or making unnecessary rules, but this is getting out of hand. You get to wear the alts 2x a week. That's it. Once on road, once at home (if that applies). But two total. That's it. Or you can' wear it more than 30 times in a season (you pick which 30 you use it). And decide on 3 jerseys, not 4 or 5. Pick you top 3 and go with it. That would make teams think twice about adding an unnecessary black. Why do the Royals need home / away (which are both nice) and a royal blue and a powder blue?

To quote Sgt. Hulka, "Lighten up, Francis."

I saw navy vs. navy once (1998 or so Padres vs. Brewers at County Stadium) and it was awful. This is not as bad, but yeah, it's not fun for those in what used to be known as the cheap seats. I'd rather they just have a rule that if the home team picks an alt, the road team must wear the primary. I know A's/Twins or Reds/Brewers would not be too bad, but so what. Is it that important that teams wear their alts that often? Just a simple rule about alts so know judgments have to be made about black vs. blue or royal vs. navy.

There is a rule. MLB instituted it a couple of years ago. Teams are discouraged from wearing similar-colored alts against each other. Navy/Black and Red/Brick/Orange are considered matches, in addition to the teams that have the same color alts. And home team gets first choice, but teams are notified in advance so they know to bring the necessary jerseys (like HOU, who will take their greys to ATL, ARI, SF, and TEX this season to switch out of the bricks when needed).

I've read this statement of fact before. Does anyone "in the know" have evidence that can back it up? Just asking, and I'm not from Missouri :-)

There is no rule and not press release either. It does not exist in rule or within the MLB CBA. If MLB stood to the rule, the A's and Pirates would never would have had yellow uniforms. Since the AL and NL were combined, they have even failed to update their rules (see below). This is done just to increase jersey sales or to satisfy a starting pitchers superstition.

I will show you.

Rules of MLB. Official Baseball Rule 1.11 covers uniforms.

(A)

(1) All players on a team shall wear uniforms identical in color, trim and style, and all players uniforms shall include minimal six-inch numbers on their backs.

(2) Any part of an undershirt exposed to view shall be of a uniform solid color for all players on a team. Any player other than the pitcher may have numbers, letters, insignia attached to the sleeve of the undershirt.

(3)No player whose uniform does not conform to that of his teammates shall be permitted to participate in a game.

A league may provide that:

(1) each team shall wear a distinctive uniform at all times, or

(2) that each team shall have two sets of uniforms, white for home games and a different color for road games.

©

(1) Sleeve lengths may vary for individual players, but the sleeves of each individual player shall be approximately the same length.

(2) No player shall wear ragged, frayed or slit sleeves.

(D) No player shall attach to his uniform tape or other material of a different color from his uniform.

(E) No part of the uniform shall include a pattern that imitates or suggests the shape of a baseball.

(F) Glass buttons and polished metal shall not be used on a uniform

(G) No player shall attach anything to the heel or toe of his shoe other than the ordinary shoe plate or toe plate. Shoes with pointed spikes similar to golf or track shoes shall not be worn.

(H) No part of the uniform shall include patches or designs relating to commercial advertisements.

(I) A league may provide that the uniforms of its member teams include the names of its players on their backs. Any name other than the last name of the player must be approved by the League President. If adopted, all uniforms for a team must have the names of its players.

Link to the CBA

:rolleyes: But I like your dictatorship idea.

*lol* Thanks. I thought that up all by myself. See!!! I'm a college graduate and can think. I like the idea too. It's why we're here, because we aren't sports dictators, but we really want to be! :D

so much for the power of the Chris Creamer community. Happened again last night -- navy vs. black :)

The Twins have 2 nice white uniforms...why the blue is ever worn at home is beyond me. The road makes some sense.

The Twins have been wearing their navy alt almost every game it seems over the past month or so. I thought at first it was cool base related, but I think they have all designs in cool base now, correct?

Unscientifically i'd say they wore it maybe 8-10 times between the start of the season and mid-june...now its nearly every game.

No idea why.

I just have a problem with blue vs blue.

I'm looking at you Cubs vs. Brewers

Normally I would agree, except the Brewers road alts really are that much better than their greys.

Archived