MLB Must ACT -- White Sox / Twins

NYYNYR

1. Why, for instance, did the Jays wear that stupid T/J (whatever it is) crap with their away unis yesterday? I actually think if I was gonna keep one Blue Jay uniform, it would be the away. I like the lettering/ numbers on the back and the use of color. But why the ugly T hat with it? Isn't that to be used for the black alternate? Another reason that hat is garbage and stupid and illogical...When the Jays batted yesterday, they used a helmet with the primary logo on it. That makes sense.

Stupid and illogical = the Blue Jays wearing a green hat (or a blue one, for that matter :rolleyes: ). The T hat looks fine.

Please explain why the Blue Jays wearing a blue hat would be stupid and illogical.

The T hat is pointless. The Jays have always, with the exception of one season (2003), had caps that feature the head of a blue jay in some manner. It's even carried over with the recent scheme, which was a huge departure from the franchise's norm. The T hats not only go against the grain when it comes to tradition, but they just look bad. The font used for the T is horrible. It reminds me of toothpaste that's been squeezed out of the tube.

Not sure if you knew this, but it actually says TJ for Toronto Jays, hence the swivel at the bottom.

This is the first I've heard of it. I don't think the team has EVER claimed it was TJ. It's always just been a T. If you compare the "swivel" at the bottom it doesn't match the curve of the J in the team's primary logo and wordmark. So the claim that it's a TJ is dubious at best.

If it is indeed a TJ that just serves to make it worse. For one, hat monograms should only represent the city/location, not the team's nickname. Hence why the Yankees' NY is a classic, but the Rockies' CR needs to go.

On top of that, "Toronto Jays" isn't the team name. The official name is still the "Toronto Blue Jays," so even if they were trying to combine the location and nickname into a single monogram going with "TJ" failed miserably.

1) The fact that the TJ font doesnt match anything else, really is meaningless. Have you seen the Jay's uniforms lately? They have different fonts for home script, away script, home numbers, name-on-back. Not to mention the whole thing about the Yanks having different NY's for everything. And what about the Tigers' D? That's different on the cap and chest.

2)Out of the 30 teams, there are 16 teams teams who have not had a hat monogram that represented the teams nicknames: The Red Sox, Tigers, Rays, Cubs, Reds, Pirates, Cardinals, Royals, Twins, Rangers, Braves, Astros, Dodgers, Mets, Phillies, and Nationals.

So about half the teams have or have had a monogram that uses the team name. I don't really see whats wrong with that.

3) Agreed about their name not being the Jays. But... even their uniform only says "Jays". So it wouldn't be out of the question for them to have some type of TJ thing going on. Not to mention they are referred to pretty often as just "The Jays".

The Tigers' and Yankees' mismatches are holdovers from eras when it was near impossible to match everything from different parts of the uniform. Everything in the Jays' current set was designed by a modern firm with a modern sense of brand uniformity and marketing.

As for monograms, I have no idea what you're on. You forgot the Padres, Yankees, Mariners, Marlins, Brewers, and Giants. Not to mention you made a mistake by incorporating the Astros. They don't use any form of monogram. Just the shooting star logo. So of the 30 MLB teams 21 employ location-only monograms. The teams that utilize team name monograms would be the Orioles (alternate only), Indians (alternate only), Angeles (location identity crisis), A's (been using it forever, so they get a pass), Blue Jays, Diamondbacks, and Rockies. So using nicknames as part of the monogram is a much more limited practice then you've let on.

Yeah, and the Canadiens are regularly called the Habs. That still wouldn't make a Canadiens logo with a plain H logo acceptable. Look no further then the train-wrecks that are the Lighting and Senators' alternate sweaters to see the dangers of using unofficial nicknames on actual game-worn uniforms. It looks minor-league.

At no time have the Jays stated the alternate cap logo was a TJ. It's always been just a T. Go dig up the old press release when they unveiled the thing. It has always meant to be a T. Nothing more. Personally I'm inclined to believe you pulled the whole "IT'S A TJ" thing out of your a$$.

Finally, the main point of all of this. The Jays have, for most of their history, utilized some form of a blue jay logo on their caps. They have rarely used a monogram of any sort. Which is my main gripe with the current T alternate cap. It has not baring in the team's visual history. The current cap logo, mess that it is, at least uses the same broad imagery that previous cap logos for the club have used.

With that I say good day sir.

...Right, but its now 2010. Theres no reason for those teams to continue to have mismatches, unless its purely for aesthetics... Its not like the Tigers marketing team is stuck in a time warp. They intentionally have those differences on their unis. So maybe the Jays do too. Neither of us really knows the answer to that.

And, well, apparently you didnt know this, but

1) The Padres have a P cap. P for Padres.

2)The Astros DON'T have a logo incorporating the team name. That's why they were on my list.

3)The giants had a G cap. G for Giants.

4)the brewers had a MB cap. B for Brewers.

5) The mariners had an M cap. M for mariners.

6) The marlins had an M cap. m for marlins.

As for your last paragraph "main point". You could really make that argument, for any change, that any team, has ever made. You pretty much defined what a "change" of any kind in the universe is.

And keep things clean please... saying things like "you pulled that out of your ass"... not really necessary here bud. Thanks.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Batting practice only.

Was batting practice only, it's now defunct.

Haven't worn a MB cap in fourteen years.

Haven't worn a M cap in eighteen years.

Battling practice only. By the time they re-brand and have a primary M cap monogram they'll be the Miami Marlins.

And keep things clean please... saying things like "you pulled that out of your ass"... not really necessary here bud. Thanks.

I'll use the term when I think it applies. I have not seen ANYONE claim the T logo is really a TJ. The team has never stated that, no fan has ever stated that. No one describes it as a TJ. It's always been just a T. So I'm left to assume you just made the whole TJ thing up. Why? To troll perhaps. I don't know.

Batting practice only.

Was batting practice only, it's now defunct.

Haven't worn a MB cap in fourteen years.

Haven't worn a M cap in eighteen years.

Battling practice only. By the time they re-brand and have a primary M cap monogram they'll be the Miami Marlins.

I'll use the term when I think it applies. I have not seen ANYONE claim the T logo is really a TJ. The team has never stated that, no fan has ever stated that. No one describes it as a TJ. It's always been just a T. So I'm left to assume you just made the whole TJ thing up. Why? To troll perhaps. I don't know.

Right, but they wear or have worn caps with monograms referring to team name, and that was my point. It's not that wierd for a team to do it.

Going back to the TJ thing, I didnt mean to troll, and I really did think it was supposed to resemble a J, hence the turn at the bottom of the "T"... I see that you are actually from Ontario, so you would probably know better than I would. Im sorry if seeing that J was way off, I was just trying to make sense of why they made it look funky like that. Not trolling. Im ready to drop it.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Someone on another website keeps a uniform tracker, and here is the results through yesterday:

Home White: 10 games

Road Gray: 10 games

Black Alt: 68 games

That is friggin ridiculous.

The A's forced the White Sox into the road grays tonight by wearing their own black alts...

Someone on another website keeps a uniform tracker, and here is the results through yesterday:

Home White: 10 games

Road Gray: 10 games

Black Alt: 68 games

That is friggin ridiculous.

The A's forced the White Sox into the road grays tonight by wearing their own black alts...

I have to say I haven't seen a single highlight this season where the White Sox are wearing their white or grey jerseys. I'll have to watch SportsCenter tonight. :)

The sox have gone with their grays mostly this week (and played winning baseball). The Twins...as the Minnesota native/ fan mentioned earlier in this thread...are on this crazy navy jersey binge. They can't stop using it -- home or away. They even used it last night while the O's wore that black smock.

Visual diareha

The sox have gone with their grays mostly this week (and played winning baseball). The Twins...as the Minnesota native/ fan mentioned earlier in this thread...are on this crazy navy jersey binge. They can't stop using it -- home or away. They even used it last night while the O's wore that black smock.

Visual diareha

Absolutely disagree...and check your spelling while you're at it. The Twins blue jersey looks really nice. The Orioles black jersey--while it would be vastly improved by adding a white layer to the letters and numbers--is far from a "black smock".

We get it--all baseball teams should wear dingy flannel uniforms and stirrups. White at home. Gray on the road. One color felt number and letters. Message received. And strongly disagreed with.

Visual diareha

Absolutely disagree...and check your spelling while you're at it. The Twins blue jersey looks really nice. The Orioles black jersey--while it would be vastly improved by adding a white layer to the letters and numbers--is far from a "black smock".

We get it--all baseball teams should wear dingy flannel uniforms and stirrups. White at home. Gray on the road. One color felt number and letters. Message received. And strongly disagreed with.

That's not what he's saying at all. Way to draw on extremes. I don't think it's so unreasonable to expect teams to wear contrasting uniforms. So black vs black, black vs navy, navy vs royal, it needs to stop. Ideally alternates would be restricted to the home team (greys on the road at all times), and even then only worn once or twice a week.

As for the Orioles' alternate, it's been said before, but it bares repeating. The Orioles (no way I'm calling them the O's) are an orange and black team. Their alternate should be orange, not black. It may look nice, but it just doesn't work for them.

Visual diareha

I think there is a simple explanation for seeing the Twins' navy alt more frequently: it's Coolbase. Yes the normal home jersey is also Coolbase, but the road gray is not. Been a lot of hot weather to play in, thus the Coolbase blue will be selected more often.

Visual diareha

That's not what he's saying at all. Way to draw on extremes. I don't think it's so unreasonable to expect teams to wear contrasting uniforms. So black vs black, black vs navy, navy vs royal, it needs to stop. Ideally alternates would be restricted to the home team (greys on the road at all times), and even then only worn once or twice a week.

As for the Orioles' alternate, it's been said before, but it bares repeating. The Orioles (no way I'm calling them the O's) are an orange and black team. Their alternate should be orange, not black. It may look nice, but it just doesn't work for them.

Thank you for not calling the Orioles the O's. And the black jersey still needs the white trim restored to look nice. Right now it looks kind of cheap. If I was uniform dictator of the world, the Orioles would have three alternates: an orange "Orioles", a black "Baltimore" and a throwback vest for Sunday home games. Sadly, though, I'm not the uniform dictator of the world.

How can MLB / MLB umps allow two teams to play a regular season game in their alternates? It's getting to the point where no one cares about the aesthetics of sports or the visual beauty of sports, and simply allowing anything to go.

Last night featured the Twins and Chi Sox from Target Field. We come from an AS game and seeing all the great home AL jerseys, so I guess that was too much for teams to bear, so both wore their alternates -- navy for Minn and black for Chi.

the result: awful

I like when teams don't wear the same old boring uniforms. In fact, I am a believer in losing the gray away uniform and letting teams wear what color they want to as long as it is not white. For me, baseball uniforms are blah, compared to the NFL and NHL, so if teams can add something to their uniforms, then I say go for it.

spacer.png

Also the Cubs, Phillies, Pirates and such, how can you say the letter on the cap doesn't stand for the team name, when the city name and team name uses the same letter.

I don't think anyone's said it stands for one or the other. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was acknowledged that it's impossible to tell.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Visual diareha

Woke up on the wrong side of the bed, slappy? Hyperbole is your friend, I see. I'm not saying that you need to wear circa-1920 unis, no. What I'm saying is that contrast is important. The visual beauty of the game is enhanced with the traditional contrasting whites and grays (throw in the occasional secondary jersey). If you can honestly, with a straight face, tell me that the navy vs. black smocks concept is as classy and special as tuning on your ESPN HD (if you have HD) and watching Cubs / Cards on SNB, we really shouldn't talk to one another about this subject.

What SNB! Those are 2 excellent uniforms. What I linked to above is horrendous. Dreck. The fact that you like that scares me. The fact that you don't find an issue with those piles of feces paired together scares me even more. Your eyes don't simply disagree with that?

That black O's jersey looks like something you'd wear in batting practice or ST. As another poster said above, the O's are an orange-based team, not a black one. The black is an accent / secondary color for them. They are not the SF Giants.

Larger point being that, while NHL and NFL jerseys look great to you, the concept doesn't carry over to baseball. And you know what...in those sports, you have a white vs. a colored. You don't even have color v. color (FOR THE MOST PART), but if you do, it wouldn't be a navy vs. a black.

Visual diareha

I think there is a simple explanation for seeing the Twins' navy alt more frequently: it's Coolbase. Yes the normal home jersey is also Coolbase, but the road gray is not. Been a lot of hot weather to play in, thus the Coolbase blue will be selected more often.

This was confirmed Saturday during the radio broadcast by colorman and former OF Dan Gladden. He talked about why the team basically hasn't worn the Gray jersey since May, because indeed the Blue is the cool base and the regulars are not.

Thankfully, the Twins wore them tonight and absolutely hammered the Royals. Hopefully they are a superstitious bunch.

I assume they will figure out how to get the Gray jerseys to coolbase soon.

Visual diareha

This was confirmed Saturday during the radio broadcast by colorman and former OF Dan Gladden. He talked about why the team basically hasn't worn the Gray jersey since May, because indeed the Blue is the cool base and the regulars are not.

Thankfully, the Twins wore them tonight and absolutely hammered the Royals. Hopefully they are a superstitious bunch.

Being in Minnesota and a huge Twins fan, I've heard on TV broadcasts that the starting pitcher gets to select the jersey. As the navy jersey is cool base, most of the pitchers prefer wearing it over the gray jersey on the road. As for home games, it's pretty even between the white's and the navy jersey. If anything, I would guess they wear the home white more often than the navy jersey. In addition, they have the throwback cream uni's for all Saturday home games, so that spares us from seeing the navy too often.

I don't mind the navy jersey on the road, but I don't like seeing it at home. I may be in the minority, but I lie the home white pinstriped unis. They are classic Twins. I'm just glad we no longer use those stupid white pinstriped sleeveless jerseys any longer.

Visual diareha

Being in Minnesota and a huge Twins fan, I've heard on TV broadcasts that the starting pitcher gets to select the jersey. As the navy jersey is cool base, most of the pitchers prefer wearing it over the gray jersey on the road. As for home games, it's pretty even between the white's and the navy jersey. If anything, I would guess they wear the home white more often than the navy jersey. In addition, they have the throwback cream uni's for all Saturday home games, so that spares us from seeing the navy too often.

I don't mind the navy jersey on the road, but I don't like seeing it at home. I may be in the minority, but I lie the home white pinstriped unis. They are classic Twins. I'm just glad we no longer use those stupid white pinstriped sleeveless jerseys any longer.

Yeah, I'm not a Navy jersey hater, just LOVE those new gray roads. They look nice with the new gray pants too.

Visual diareha

Agree with everything here. I love the Twins' entire uniform set. The navy is just such a notch below the cream/ home pinstripes and the road grays. Let's get them all Coolbased !

Side note: The entire league seemed to wear "normal" jerseys yesterday -- at least the league I care about, the AL. Toronto had their fun powder throwbacks, and the rest of the league dressed like professionals. What a site. The Twins in their tremendous road grays. KC rocking the picture-perfect home uniform. Chi Sox rocking the traditional bad-ass home pinstripes. Oh, happy day !

Archived