MLB Must ACT -- White Sox / Twins

NYYNYR

1. Why, for instance, did the Jays wear that stupid T/J (whatever it is) crap with their away unis yesterday? I actually think if I was gonna keep one Blue Jay uniform, it would be the away. I like the lettering/ numbers on the back and the use of color. But why the ugly T hat with it? Isn't that to be used for the black alternate? Another reason that hat is garbage and stupid and illogical...When the Jays batted yesterday, they used a helmet with the primary logo on it. That makes sense.

Stupid and illogical = the Blue Jays wearing a green hat (or a blue one, for that matter :rolleyes: ). The T hat looks fine.

Please explain why the Blue Jays wearing a blue hat would be stupid and illogical.

I'm very late to the party here, but it was a joke about the Blue Jays not wearing blue anymore. And I still don't mind the T.

330zl3b.png

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sox have gone with their grays mostly this week (and played winning baseball). The Twins...as the Minnesota native/ fan mentioned earlier in this thread...are on this crazy navy jersey binge. They can't stop using it -- home or away. They even used it last night while the O's wore that black smock.

Visual diareha

Absolutely disagree...and check your spelling while you're at it. The Twins blue jersey looks really nice. The Orioles black jersey--while it would be vastly improved by adding a white layer to the letters and numbers--is far from a "black smock".

We get it--all baseball teams should wear dingy flannel uniforms and stirrups. White at home. Gray on the road. One color felt number and letters. Message received. And strongly disagreed with.

Woke up on the wrong side of the bed, slappy? Hyperbole is your friend, I see. I'm not saying that you need to wear circa-1920 unis, no. What I'm saying is that contrast is important. The visual beauty of the game is enhanced with the traditional contrasting whites and grays (throw in the occasional secondary jersey). If you can honestly, with a straight face, tell me that the navy vs. black smocks concept is as classy and special as tuning on your ESPN HD (if you have HD) and watching Cubs / Cards on SNB, we really shouldn't talk to one another about this subject.

What SNB! Those are 2 excellent uniforms. What I linked to above is horrendous. Dreck. The fact that you like that scares me. The fact that you don't find an issue with those piles of feces paired together scares me even more. Your eyes don't simply disagree with that?

That black O's jersey looks like something you'd wear in batting practice or ST. As another poster said above, the O's are an orange-based team, not a black one. The black is an accent / secondary color for them. They are not the SF Giants.

Larger point being that, while NHL and NFL jerseys look great to you, the concept doesn't carry over to baseball. And you know what...in those sports, you have a white vs. a colored. You don't even have color v. color (FOR THE MOST PART), but if you do, it wouldn't be a navy vs. a black.

Let's just take a moment to read the post of yours that I responded to and then your response to mine and THEN let's decide who's laying down a barrage of hyperbole.

The black Orioles jersey doesn't look as good as it should is because they took the white trim off the letters and numbers and because they removed the placket piping. (This year's script is awful, too, but that's another story.) I'm glad--and I'm sure the Orioles are, too--that the aforementioned poster sees them as an orange-based team, but they haven't had an orange alternate since 1992.

Additionally, I'm not all that enamored of most of what the NHL and NFL run out there...not even a little bit.

Finally, I played in a tournament game last night: an orange vs orange tournament game. Not once did it confuse any of us.

And that's Mister Slappy to you, son.

The sox have gone with their grays mostly this week (and played winning baseball). The Twins...as the Minnesota native/ fan mentioned earlier in this thread...are on this crazy navy jersey binge. They can't stop using it -- home or away. They even used it last night while the O's wore that black smock.

Visual diareha

I think there is a simple explanation for seeing the Twins' navy alt more frequently: it's Coolbase. Yes the normal home jersey is also Coolbase, but the road gray is not. Been a lot of hot weather to play in, thus the Coolbase blue will be selected more often.

This was confirmed Saturday during the radio broadcast by colorman and former OF Dan Gladden. He talked about why the team basically hasn't worn the Gray jersey since May, because indeed the Blue is the cool base and the regulars are not.

Thankfully, the Twins wore them tonight and absolutely hammered the Royals. Hopefully they are a superstitious bunch.

I assume they will figure out how to get the Gray jerseys to coolbase soon.

If a team doesn't have grey COOLBASE jerseys yet, it's by their own choice. I'm of the belief that you should have to wear the primary white and primary grey more often than an alternate (otherwise it's not an alternate, it's just a third or fourth jersey). MLB should be getting on the teams that don't wear grey primarily on the road. I'm looking at you, Minnesota and Houston. Either get COOLBASE or wear the grey doubleknits.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Visual diareha

I think there is a simple explanation for seeing the Twins' navy alt more frequently: it's Coolbase. Yes the normal home jersey is also Coolbase, but the road gray is not. Been a lot of hot weather to play in, thus the Coolbase blue will be selected more often.

This was confirmed Saturday during the radio broadcast by colorman and former OF Dan Gladden. He talked about why the team basically hasn't worn the Gray jersey since May, because indeed the Blue is the cool base and the regulars are not.

Thankfully, the Twins wore them tonight and absolutely hammered the Royals. Hopefully they are a superstitious bunch.

I assume they will figure out how to get the Gray jerseys to coolbase soon.

If a team doesn't have grey COOLBASE jerseys yet, it's by their own choice. I'm of the belief that you should have to wear the primary white and primary grey more often than an alternate (otherwise it's not an alternate, it's just a third or fourth jersey). MLB should be getting on the teams that don't wear grey primarily on the road. I'm looking at you, Minnesota and Houston. Either get COOLBASE or wear the grey doubleknits.

I am not sure the Twins will go to gray Coolbase.

The Twins never had the gray pinstripes in Coolbase, so logically if they were going to switch they would have done so when the road uniforms got overhauled for this season.

Part of me believes they kept the grays as regular doubleknits due to playing early/late season games in cooler weather (always seem like they are in Chicago early April). Certainly looking at the Twins earlier this season they wore the gray jersey more often before it got hot. However having the blue alt as Coolbase gives them a cooler jersey to wear on the road.

Of course, the only issue here is that the Twins have had the home whites in Coolbase for a few years now. So they have to wear those in cooler weather (unless on a Saturday this year).

I wouldn't mind see a road blue alt return for the Twins, using the new Minnesota script.

Visual diareha

Absolutely disagree...and check your spelling while you're at it. The Twins blue jersey looks really nice. The Orioles black jersey--while it would be vastly improved by adding a white layer to the letters and numbers--is far from a "black smock".

We get it--all baseball teams should wear dingy flannel uniforms and stirrups. White at home. Gray on the road. One color felt number and letters. Message received. And strongly disagreed with.

Woke up on the wrong side of the bed, slappy? Hyperbole is your friend, I see. I'm not saying that you need to wear circa-1920 unis, no. What I'm saying is that contrast is important. The visual beauty of the game is enhanced with the traditional contrasting whites and grays (throw in the occasional secondary jersey). If you can honestly, with a straight face, tell me that the navy vs. black smocks concept is as classy and special as tuning on your ESPN HD (if you have HD) and watching Cubs / Cards on SNB, we really shouldn't talk to one another about this subject.

What SNB! Those are 2 excellent uniforms. What I linked to above is horrendous. Dreck. The fact that you like that scares me. The fact that you don't find an issue with those piles of feces paired together scares me even more. Your eyes don't simply disagree with that?

That black O's jersey looks like something you'd wear in batting practice or ST. As another poster said above, the O's are an orange-based team, not a black one. The black is an accent / secondary color for them. They are not the SF Giants.

Larger point being that, while NHL and NFL jerseys look great to you, the concept doesn't carry over to baseball. And you know what...in those sports, you have a white vs. a colored. You don't even have color v. color (FOR THE MOST PART), but if you do, it wouldn't be a navy vs. a black.

Let's just take a moment to read the post of yours that I responded to and then your response to mine and THEN let's decide who's laying down a barrage of hyperbole.

The black Orioles jersey doesn't look as good as it should is because they took the white trim off the letters and numbers and because they removed the placket piping. (This year's script is awful, too, but that's another story.) I'm glad--and I'm sure the Orioles are, too--that the aforementioned poster sees them as an orange-based team, but they haven't had an orange alternate since 1992.

Additionally, I'm not all that enamored of most of what the NHL and NFL run out there...not even a little bit.

Finally, I played in a tournament game last night: an orange vs orange tournament game. Not once did it confuse any of us.

And that's Mister Slappy to you, son.

Senor Slappy: I'm glad it didn't confuse anyone. I'm sure it burned a few retinas though. Seriously...why wouldn't you try to avoid 2 similar uniform colors? WhY? You are on opposing sides. If it were up to you, the Americans would have donned red coats in the War as well. It's easier that way, right? Let's all be the same. Why not just have one home uniform per team...much easier for travel / matchups, etc. Everyone wear their home white. Contrast is not important.

And I'm sorry, Senor, but those black jerseys look terrible because 1. They're black 2. Your team is orange-dominant, black-secondary [and 3. They're black.

Black uniforms should be reserved for beer-league softball, batting practice or spring training.

The folks in Arlington got to witness some Christmas in July action with the Rangers wearing their red jerseys against the A's in their green jerseys.

hahaha yup. Can you imagine Harmon Kilebrew, Jackie Robinson, Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron...whoever...wearing such garbage? It might have had its faults or been over simplistic...or even offensive, but what they wore was classy.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO , we don't need a return to stirrups or wool uniforms. Just a return to normalcy. Can we coolbase everything yet?

Are you Paul Lukas?

All that dude wants is plain, boring, no alternate, stirrup wearing unis. I'm glad he isn't in charge of sports uniforms, that would be awful.

2ly2w09.jpg

Are you Paul Lukas?

All that dude wants is plain, boring, no alternate, stirrup wearing unis. I'm glad he isn't in charge of sports uniforms, that would be awful.

I've had a beer with Paul Lukas. Really nice guy. I certainly don't agree with his uber traditionalist taste in uniforms, but it's his blog, so he can write from whatever viewpoint he chooses to. If anything, it gives us fodder for discussion. I also love when people come here to "break" stories, when it's something that Paul ran in his ticker. His blog and article certainly serve a valuable purpose in our community, whether you are a traditionalist or not.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Are you Paul Lukas?

Nope, sorry. Didn't i state in my post that i'm not yearning for stirrups or wool uniforms ?

Here's who I am:

I'm just someone who believes, i suppose, that back in the day, for whatever reason, 2 uniforms (for the most part) were enough for MLB.

I guess now we have a business / entertainment industry masquerading as a sport, so we need constant revenue. If we could charge you for the bubblegum you're chewing on the way into the stadium, we'd do it. We will do it. If we could charge you an ADDITIONAL surcharge for utilization of your cup holder on your overpriced-to-begin-with beer, we'd do it. We will do it. We're gonna now sell you on 80 types of jerseys...and....OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH....they come in a multitude of flavors. Golly gee. Suits my ADHD perfectly fine.

I'm that (annoying) guy.

The folks in Arlington got to witness some Christmas in July action with the Rangers wearing their red jerseys against the A's in their green jerseys.

hahaha yup. Can you imagine Harmon Kilebrew, Jackie Robinson, Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron...whoever...wearing such garbage? It might have had its faults or been over simplistic...or even offensive, but what they wore was classy.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO , we don't need a return to stirrups or wool uniforms. Just a return to normalcy. Can we coolbase everything yet?

Minnesota-Twins-No_3-Harmon-Killebrew-Baby-Blue-MLB-Cooperstown-Throwback-Jersey.JPG

hank.aaron.jpg

APE-KILLEBREW-BLUEJ-8X10.jpg

87Redskins.png

Minnesota-Twins-No_3-Harmon-Killebrew-Baby-Blue-MLB-Cooperstown-Throwback-Jersey.JPG

hank.aaron.jpg

well played. you have slayed the dragon.

hank.aaron.jpg

well played. you have slayed the dragon.

As an addendum to this thread?my g/f treated me to a birthday weekend in the city (NYC), and we visited Citi Field yesterday. Karma bit me in the behind. Black smocks vs. red smocks, as the Mets hosted the D-backs. 14-1 shellacking. Yowzers. I?m a Yanks fan, but that was brutal.

I didnt realize how dark the A's alts were til i saw them versus the W. Sox in their black alts. It almost looked like black on black.

I saw that game on WGN America, and it was confusing to tell who was up unless you heard Hawk Harrelson yelling "Stretch! Stretch!" whenever one of the darker black jersey team members hit a ball to the outfield.

I didnt realize how dark the A's alts were til i saw them versus the W. Sox in their black alts. It almost looked like black on black.

Yeah, baseball is such a traditional sport that even "interesting colors" like green are made so dark that they blend in. Another reason why the black won't be missed in Oakland.

Archived