Dallas Stars Logo History Correction

Morgan33

Interesting. I had no idea. Why did that happen? Change in manufacturers or Pantone values?

The Pantone values changed...I don't know why, but they did. Maybe it had something to do with matching to fabrics; I'm not sure.

Alright, made some changes to the Stars page -- their history is somewhat confusing after all the new info in this thread, thoughts?

http://www.sportslog.../team.php?id=10

I should warn you - almost every team in the NHL made changes to their color schemes between the 1998-1999 and 1999-2000 seasons. The Red Wings changed their Red, the Canadiens changed both their Red and Blue, etc.

You could end up having a lot of subtle variations of the same logos...it would certainly be accurate, but also could be a headache for you...!

While I may end up regretting this sometime during the update process :) I'd rather be 100% accurate than not.

Should I create a thread (or threads) regarding these changes? Would that be beneficial, or would it be annoying? ^_^

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should I create a thread (or threads) regarding these changes? Would that be beneficial, or would it be annoying? ^_^

Speaking on behalf of everyone, such a thread would be extremely appreciated and not in the least annoying :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Speaking on behalf of everyone, such a thread would be extremely appreciated and not in the least annoying :)

One more question - would you like one big thread for all of these, or should I start separate threads for each franchise?

I'm in the middle of updating my team colors section again - Pantone just changed all of the RGB values for what they now call PANTONE PLUS (formerly PANTONE MATCHING SYSTEM)...I've been working on the NBA first, but can switch over to the NHL to get this moving.

One more question - would you like one big thread for all of these, or should I start separate threads for each franchise?

I'm in the middle of updating my team colors section again - Pantone just changed all of the RGB values for what they now call PANTONE PLUS (formerly PANTONE MATCHING SYSTEM)...I've been working on the NBA first, but can switch over to the NHL to get this moving.

Perhaps we can group them by division or conference? A thread for each franchise would be too many threads, and one for the league might be too large.

With the new Pantone Plus system are we going to see a rash of new colour changes or is this simply a change of name?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Perhaps we can group them by division or conference? A thread for each franchise would be too many threads, and one for the league might be too large.

With the new Pantone Plus system are we going to see a rash of new colour changes or is this simply a change of name?

I'll group them - maybe four to five in a thread? Alphanumeric?

The Pantone Plus system is just a re-organization of the old PMS system - I think it is designed to act as a "supplemental" color system in relation to the new Goe System (which it looks like, is the new primary system). There are some new solid colors, and some new "Neon" colors (formerly designated as "Day-Glo" colors), along with a whole new set of "Premium" Metallics that are a combination of Goe base inks plus PANTONE Silver C (also a new color). The old metallics are still in there as well, along with the pastels. Oh, and there's a whole new set of Process colors - called "CMYK".

One for the whole league probably keeps things tidy, since some threads would naturally be much bigger and more interesting than others.

GRIEVOUS THREADJACK:

Would you happen to have a circa-1994 iteration of the Blackhawks' primary? The mothership lists the current Indian head as being 1966-present, which isn't right, because it's too vector-clean to have been around in 1966, or even 1986. I've been trying to figure out the evolution of the Indian head, and I've come to the conclusion that nobody up in Wirtz headquarters really knew or cared that there were like three or four distinct versions of their main logo until about 1999 or so when it all got standardized to the tidied-up "smiling" version we have now on every telecast, sweater, and whatever other applications there were. The only real idiosyncrasy left is that it has bright yellow-orange skin in print/screen/merchandise applications, but the chain-stitched crest still uses a metallic bronze/copper tone for the skin. Kinda ties in nicely with all those years of not knowing how to spell their own name.

hawksleafscopy.jpg

Here's an opening graphic for a 1994 Leafs-Hawks playoff game (Amonte had a big night). It's mostly little details that set them apart, but the telltale difference appears to be the eye, which is kind of pointy instead of straight.

suter94copy.jpg

Gary Suter, same game, logo now has an outline matching the light bronze skin tone.

wirtz0926.gif

Here's the old bastard in front of a banner that has a really dark skin tone and a bright yellow outline. I don't know how old it is, but I'm guessing fairly close to the end of him.

faceoff95.jpg

Faceoff before a Wings-Hawks 1995 conference final. Here's the modern redrawn Indian head at center ice, beneath timeless dickhole Darren McCarty, so the educated guess is that this logo as we know it dates back to 1994, probably getting done as the team moved from the Chicago Stadium to the United Center.

tonychyronte.jpg

Modern logo seems to be in play on this ESPN graphic from the same game, but the old-style sweater crest with the same-color outline and pointed eye is still extant beneath that graphic (take my word for it), so things must've been out of sync for a few years, probably getting resolved in this Great Adjustment of '99 you brought up.

44promo.jpg

Now here's something confounding: this from a 1980 television promo. It looks a lot closer to the modern logo than its contemporaries with that smile, but it lacks the jaundiced skin we know now, and it's lightly outlined in yellow. Maybe it had been around longer than I'd thought.

78logo.jpg

This from a 1978 telecast and let's just not worry about this too much.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Alright, made some changes to the Stars page -- their history is somewhat confusing after all the new info in this thread, thoughts?

http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?id=10

That looks great!

Thank you so much for doing this, it always bugged me the way it was before. I dont think it looks too convoluted, compare it to the canucks page with the 20 or so unused logos. Perhaps we can update the below logos as well. If MaximGan did a quick recolour of the template he used for the other shoulder patch logos and matched the palette, the page would be perfect.

Sorry, I cant help being a perfectionist :P

75.gif

74.gif

I posted something about this a couple of years ago, but the Blackhawks have had at least three different versions of their current logo since 1964-1965:

ChicagoBlackhawks_LogoCompare.png

The first version contains seven colors - Gold, Black, Red, Green, Blue, Orange and White. In the 1996-1997 season, they added Yellow (to differentiate from the Gold), and changed the shade (i.e., Pantone) of the Gold color.

Then, in the 1999-2000 (when the majority of the NHL modified their Pantones), they changed the shades of the Yellow, Blue and Green.

There are other minor differences in these logos, and it looks like some of those broadcasts may have been using some additional variations.

Interesting. I'd not seen those variations you posted.

chicago-blackhawks-logo.jpg

This comes up in google image search for "Blackhawks logo" but has no dates attached. Seems to be the broadcast logo from 1994, more or less.

Nice Strayhorn subtitle. Makes my Tim and Eric look like a pile of puke.

One for the whole league probably keeps things tidy, since some threads would naturally be much bigger and more interesting than others.

GRIEVOUS THREADJACK:

Would you kindly post this in a thread for Central Division Corrections as per CC97's request?

I have something to add for a change!

In the current alternate script logo, (below)

ssjlurxvqm9vpee6es83j8e1o.gif

The image is actually missing a portion of the lettering.

The actual script logo used on the uniforms has an additional black outline around the gold outline. (as seen in a picture of my authentic jersey below)

35996_403926498718_509638718_4302548_5350931_n.jpg

It's not overly obvious, so I understand why it was missed when the image for the mothership was made.

5amlwx.jpg

GRIEVOUS THREADJACK:

Would you kindly post this in a thread for Central Division Corrections as per CC97's request?

The mods can easily partition the Hawks posts into a Central Division thread.

1994-1999

Dallas_StarsHome1994-1999.gif

Dallas_StarsAway1994-99.gif

I Just noticed this: The numbers all over the dark sweaters and on the sleeves of the white sweater should be White with dark Green outline.

Afterall, the move to dark green necessitated the swap of green with white trim to white with green because the dark green is difficult to make out on black.

5amlwx.jpg

I took another look at the Stars page and figured:

"since the current "away" uniform is slated to be the new third jersey this coming season, why not add it to a new alternate uniform section and throw the original Green star-pattern uniform from 97-98 in there for good measure?"

2994072060100337552S425x425Q85.jpg

I'm sure one of you benevolent mods would get a kick out of adding "the Mooterus" in there, too. :]

8325_124817758718_509638718_2380170_1801412_n.jpg

I think ^that thing beats even Vancouver's hideous Red-to-Blue gradient in terms of sheer gag-factor. :hockeysmiley:

Would it be very hard to come up with images of these "thirds"?

5amlwx.jpg

Awesome work on the logos MaximGan! The page now looks perfect. This is somewhat related as its essentially the same franchise but can we replace the 1992/93 Minnesota North Stars Logos with these ones?

S2.gif

S1.gif

MinnesottaNordStars25d.gif

Archived