DustDevil61's NHL

DustDevil61

Well, I've been busy for the last little while whipping up this concept. My mind started thinking when I mentioned to use Carolina Blue in someone else's concept of the Hurricanes, and I tried to give it a crack. I do plan on making this an NHL series when I have a good deal of time to put some ideas together.

Here's (hopefully) a detailed enough description of my Hurricanes concept:

What's the same--The colors Red, Black, and White remain, while, with the exception of replacing the Silver with Carolina Blue, the primary logo is the same. Red remains the primary color, and the numbers and nameplates remain the same font. I also kept the outer trim found on the shoulders from the current Edge design the same.

What's different:

Logos: I gave the alternate, single Tropical Storm (Hurricane Warning?) flag a face-lift, using the dual Hurricane-force winds on the alternate. I will admit that this version posted doesn't have the outline on the flags, but I'll plan on fixing that soon. Not only is the dual-flag design found on the alternate, it's also found on the hem stripes. The pants also remain relatively blank, except for a thin white stripe on the thicker bottom stripes.

Design: One thing that I liked a lot and wanted to integrate into this look was the triangle design, representing the Research Triangle area of the Carolinas (also giving an impression of high winds). While the main triangle design is found on the hem stripes, I also stuck a pencil-line (AKA thin) triangle behind the sleeve numbers. The stripe converges on the dual-flag stripe on the left-hand side, and is widest on the right-hand side (seen on the side panel view). I also liked the idea of making the shoulders a different color from the rest of the jersey, while keeping the shoulder outline from the current look. I also added an inner trim to the Edge trim.

Alternate Jersey: I was thinking about how I could really make a Hurricanes alternate uniform stand out, and then I had my "eureka" moment in putting the hurricane flags in an argyle pattern, not unlike the University of North Carolina men's basketball team (of course, they're still in square form, just rotated 45 degrees).

I was torn as to which color I wanted this to be. I'm a sucker for lighter colors, and wanted--badly--to make the alternate Carolina Blue. However, the Hurricanes' main colors just look best as Red, White, and Black. Another deciding factor in making the alternates Black was that the argyle-hurricane-flag design was inspired by the University of North Carolina. Without having to take any one side, Black was the natural selection, as it has been used by Duke University in recent years.

I think that's about it; I also made a background for the concept with the help of Photoshop, as well.

C+C please!

4810350101_4afd2bc64c_b.jpg

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I like your added touch of Carolina Blue. It reminds me of the ocean, leading me to also think of Hurricanes.

Also, I like your choice to have different striping on the bottom for each jersey. However, you still managed to keep the same pattern/idea (or whatever you want to call it).

My one suggestion is that you should make a Carolina Blue alternate. You could say that they wear it during Sunday home games. :)

Whoa, the pattern on the alternate hurts my eyes. I think it'd look much better off the computer screen, though.

The big thing I think needs work is the hem striping. Those triangles just don't work, and on the home and away, it probably doesn't even need two rows of squares. Maybe try one or the other? Right now, it just seems excessively wide and bulky.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

This is awesome, not a big UNC fan but I love the Carolina blue here. I also like that you fixed one of the things that has bothered me since they introduced the alternate- the flag. It should have been two flags from the beginning. I love the argyle alternate, sharp pattern and way to stand out. In a world that is increasingly becoming BFBS you went Blue and it looks amazing.

Not feeling this. While I like the addition of Carolina Blue into the home uniform, it doesn't appeal on the road. I suggest making the blue stripes to black as you did with the home and outline it the same way, too. And as the for alternate, I feel it's just way too busy. The Carolina Blue on black isn't presenting well. I would try to figure out a way to make it a little more simple.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

i like it a lot. i think i'd like it more if the carolina was more prominent in the home and away designs. i don't know if you want to replace the black with it, but less black and more carolina on those two would make me like it a lot more than i already do.

sig2024.png

Sorry, I know this is harsh but this is just awful. The addition of the Carolina blue, while a good idea, doesn't turn out well in the Hurricane's color scheme. Not every Carolina team needs Carolina blue. The alternate logo update isn't bad, but I've seen it a hundred times. As far as the uniforms go, this is where you really lose me. They are extremely unorganized and bottom heavy. The double flag stripe is too much already, and the extra diagonal stripe makes it even worse. On the home, the stripes on the ends of the sleeves have a different color order than the socks and the shoulder yoke. Then on the away, the color order matches on the sleeve stripes and the shoulder yokes, but not the socks. The triangle behind the sleeve numbers is unnecessary, and the away needs a white helmet. As far as the alternate, the order of the color in the stripes is a problem again, and again the bottom stripe makes the jersey bottom heavy. The bottom stripe is also way to complicated to be seen from far away. It also doesn't make much sense. The hurricane flag is two red flags on top of each other, so the diagonal pattern doesn't make much sense. I'm sorry, I know this is harsh, but it's all to help you.

30vja50.png

GIANTS_REDSOX_CELTICS_LIGHTNING_BULLS

OK, I've made two more Hurricanes concepts.

What's the same--The color scheme remains the same, as do the logos. The home remains red and the alt. remains black.

What's different--In the first one, I dropped the triangle look, removing the pencil-line triangles from the sleeve number, and went with straight hem stripes similar to what the team uses. I went down from the dual-flag stripe to the single stripe in all uniforms, though the alternate retains its argyle pattern. In both cases, the road helmet is white, as per NHL standards. The orders of the stripes--shoulder outline, sleeve, and socks, have been changed to be consistent with one another, excepting the red hurricane flag stripe.

Color patterns are such:

Home--Red field, White, Carolina blue, Black

Road--White field, Black, Carolina blue, Red

Alt.--Black field, Red, White, Carolina blue

I also decided to utilize the argyle pattern on a familiar article of clothing--the socks.

Here are the concepts. Let me know which one is best:

Concept #2 (Straight Stripes):

4835900057_5bddea7299_b.jpg

Concept #3 (Angled Stripes):

4836458934_e2b9ec9918_b.jpg

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

Concept #2 looks pretty good. It's more in line with what they currently use and takes the addition of Carolina Blue quite well. Concept #3 is not bad, either. But, there's something about that red bottom on the away uniform that still doesn't totally fit. Maybe try reversing the black with the red. As for the 3rd sweaters, it's not terrible. But, I'm still not sold on the whole plaid style striping. Maybe try something a little more traditional with the third sweater. The way it is now reminds me too much of the Predators.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

I prefer set #3, but I think you need to flip the waist striping horizontally on the home and road. Right now, it feels like it is going the opposite way of both the hurricane logo and the italicized numbers on the back.

That and a black tail on the road and you have a winner.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Mights just be me, but I don't like the two flags. I know it is supposed to have two to be considered a hurricane and all that, but I still think having one flag gets the point across that it is a storm, and adding that second flag to the logo just looks forced and sloppy in my opinion.

T1oYViW.png

All right, I think this could be the last Hurricanes concept before moving on to another team. I'm thinking of doing San Jose, Nashville, Dallas, or St. Louis.

What's the same--Designs on all 3 jerseys, color schemes, and logos. Kept road yoke red, and yes, I'm aware of keeping yoke/tail/sock patterns generally the same, but this jersey just seemed to have too much black and not enough red, and the patterns are consistent; I'm also hoping that there is enough red in the hurricane flag stripe, anyways. Please don't hurt me for that. ;)

What's different--Swapped the slant on the 3rd concept (front slants to left, back to right), swapped the red and black on the tails (jersey bottoms), sleeves, and socks.

Revised 2nd Concept

4838996899_f08b92a43e_b.jpg

Revised 3rd Concept

4839609564_0474160b99_b.jpg

C+C, as always!

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

All right, here should be the latest edition of my concept:

What's the same--Color scheme, general design on home and road uniforms. Main logo remains

What's different--New alt. logo, one I didn't entirely think up. It's a C (largely based on the Whalers' logo), with two Hurricane flags in it to also make a negative H (partial, and yes, the logo on the jersey doesn't do it justice. I also swapped the Carolina blue out with black to see how that would go.

C+C, please!!

4994107455_bacefd7fe8_b.jpg

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

Not feeling the secondary logo (maybe try non-waving flags that don't leave any empty space), but the jerseys themselves look really darn good. The third jersey argyle is actually good on the eyes here. I think you might've missed something though, is the side of the third jersey really black?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Not feeling the secondary logo (maybe try non-waving flags that don't leave any empty space), but the jerseys themselves look really darn good. The third jersey argyle is actually good on the eyes here. I think you might've missed something though, is the side of the third jersey really black?

Ah, touche. I did kind of rush through and swap out the colors, and I'll replace this with a cleaner look, hopefully today.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

Archived