Too Many Vests!

Chazberg

If I had to choose between teams going wacky with vests or going wacky with solid colored "alternate" jerseys, I'll take the vests. While I think vests can work, I hate the solid color softball jersey fad. I mean, do the Marlins even HAVE a white or gray shirt anymore?

i'll take a colored jersey over, say, UCLA's softball uni. i mean, where is it written that baseball jerseys can only be one of two colors? to my knowledge, nowhere.

on the Marlins' original sleeveless jerseys: on my list of all time favorites, you could te(a)ll who it was just by turning the TV on. :D

about teh White Sox alternate...i recall someone noting that this jersey, like the Angels' old jersey, is a red herring. it's sleeved, just the black sleeves give off the 'vest' illusion.

and on the Reds' patch in 94: it wasn't the MLB patch like the other teams, it was actually one commemorating the 1869 Cincinnati Red Legs-it looked like a gilded team photo. pretty cool.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

If I had to choose between teams going wacky with vests or going wacky with solid colored "alternate" jerseys, I'll take the vests. While I think vests can work, I hate the solid color softball jersey fad. I mean, do the Marlins even HAVE a white or gray shirt anymore?

I agree!

Ever since my poor Jays went Black they've worn their all blacks almost every game.... home and away, I think they've worn the whites 3 times, and greys 2 times, evey other game is black.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I like the vest look. Adds some color & character to the plain whites and grays.

I actually debuted the vest look in our company softball league last year.. we had two teams that wore green jerseys, so when we played each other, my team wore blue. But, I still wanted to wear our team colors, so I cut the sleeves off my blue jersey and wore it over the green. Then we lost the game, and burned our blues.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I liked the Marlins teal hats they were unique and they fit since they had an aquatic name.

Teal/Aqua is the best color, but to work it has to be an aquatic name.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

the main problem with the marlins old teal hats and sleeve was that when they word them during day games they were TOO BRIGHT! B)

I could imagine it was a distraction for whomever they played against, although in thier early years it didnt matter much as far as thier record goes.

if they went to a darker teal like the jaguars or the sharks use, they would work.

I liked the Marlins teal hats they were unique and they fit since they had an aquatic name.

Teal/Aqua is the best color, but to work it has to be an aquatic name.

Tank is right (2nd time I've ever said that :P)

It's also a regional thing (just look at the Dolphins). Teal and other pastelly colors are huge in Miami/South Florida.

The weird thing about that Deion tribute is that Deion got it completely wrong. Jackie Robinson never cut his sleeves like that, at least according to his teammates.

Apparently Deion looked at a couple of pics saw that the sleeves were shorter (probably a photographic trick due to him flying around the bases at great speeds) and took it that Robinson wore his sleeves short.

So, while his heart was in the right place, he was ultimately wrong.

Heres my 2 cents on vests, i cant stand Cleveland's or Texas' vests. The Pirates and Reds look excellent. Since I am a Tampa resident, I really wish they'd sell replica's of their sleeveless one's, all I've seemes to find are Authentics

I was at the Red Sox game yesterday. I guy in front of me had an All-Star jersey (I think it was 2000/Atlanta) customized with Pedro Martinez's name & number. It had shorted/cut-off sleeves. It also had the Majestic logo on the top of the cuff of the left sleeve.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The marlin's teal is about 2 notches too light. The Sharks or Panthers teal is fine. Marlin's teal, looks like a baby's room.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Vandy, IIRC the Marlins had a sleeveless jersey in 94 as well. They were the only two for a while (and no, the Angels' faux vest from 97-2001 doesn't count).

The Mariners also had a vest from 1997-1999. It was the same as the white jersey, but the undershirt had the ball-compass logo for a patch, the same logo on their current BP hats. They mostly wore them with the alternate hats with the silver metallic bill, too. I think in 1996 they took their regular road jerseys and actually cut the sleeves off for a few games, just because Griffey liked the look. I must admit, I do, too!

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

The Mariners also had a vest from 1997-1999. It was the same as the white jersey, but the undershirt had the ball-compass logo for a patch, the same logo on their current BP hats. They mostly wore them with the alternate hats with the silver metallic bill, too. I think in 1996 they took their regular road jerseys and actually cut the sleeves off for a few games, just because Griffey liked the look. I must admit, I do, too!

damn, forgot about those ones. i wish they still had the hat they wore with the whites...sue me, i want a hat with a silver bill :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived