Saw this posted on the Uniwatch blog

WNDUP FX

The Twins are celebrating their 50th SEASON in the majors, from 1961-2010. Back in 2005, they celebrated the 40th ANNIVERSARY of their 1965 AL championship team. There is a difference, and it is tricky.

If the earlier year on the patch is subtracted FROM the later year and it equals the number BRING celebrated, then it's an ANNIVERSARY patch. If it's one LESS, then it is a SEASON patch. Or at LEAST it seems like it SHOULD be like that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Twins are celebrating their 50th SEASON in the majors, from 1961-2010. Back in 2005, they celebrated the 40th ANNIVERSARY of their 1965 AL championship team. There is a difference, and it is tricky.

If the earlier year on the patch is subtracted FROM the later year and it equals the number BRING celebrated, then it's an ANNIVERSARY patch. If it's one LESS, then it is a SEASON patch. Or at LEAST it seems like it SHOULD be like that.

I agree it seems it should be that way, but again would it not depend on when a league regards one season over and the next begun? I dont follow baseball tried watching it and it's not for me, so I'm not totally up on when seasons start or finish, but for arguments sake lets say the finals are October and free agency or ota's start again in december that would mean from a "technical" league stand point that the new season began the same year the old one ended, so with regards dates the team actually existed the year before it took the field to play it's first games, but in order to prevent confusion it will list the the year it played it's first game (in this case 62) because that has more meaning for the fans, rather than the year it was accepted into the league (in this case hypothetically 61).

Fans consider leagues to be out of season for months. Leagues dont. For union reasons there is an offseason break of so many weeks but once that is over as far as the Leagues and teams are concerned the new season has begun. Unlike us fans they dont have six months or more of waiting, they've begun their new season long before the games start. Depending on when any given league kicks of and how long the build up period is theoretically you could start a 2011 season now, if you're finals were last week you have a month off and then you dont play a competitive game until March first. But when listing it for fans it makes more sense to list it as just '11 than rather than 2010 - 11 because 11 is when the games they attended were. The waters can be muddied even further if your league actually spans the turn of a calendar year. I mean look at how much confusion the date of the Superbowl can cause. Some refer to the year the season started when giving a calendar year for Superbowls others refer to the actual date it's played, eg I've heard the last Superbowl the 9er won (XXIX) referred to as the '94 Superbowl alto it was played January 95. Dates in sports work slightly differently to calendar dates.

I think when it comes to season and anniversary patches it's all to do with the fact that the actual date being memorialized is often six to 8 months in the past by the time the first game with the new patch rolls round that causes the confusion. That and the fact that it's a date that most fans really dont regard as the start of the season anyway. I mean I dont consider FA as the start of a new NFL season, but technically it is. Players join new teams coaches move and preparations to win the next Superbowl begin, but your average fan myself included doesn't celebrate the beginning of the new season when it rolls round. I mean take the last NFL expansion team the Texans, they didn't join the league on kick-off sunday in September of the year they first played, they joined far earlier when expansion drafts etc were held, but those dates will be overlooked by fans in favour of September because that's the date that has meaning for them. It's like teams celebrate the actual birth and we the fans celebrate the first steps like that was the birth.

I'm not saying this is 100% the case with the Mets patch I'm just putting it out there as a possible explanation for it, because I cant believe that a team of that stature would screw up when celebrating it's own history. That and the fact they are not the only team to have done it, so it suggests there has to be another explanation for it and that's the best I can come up with.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

No matter when a league's season starts and ends, no matter what the players union considers to be the off-season, no matter when the finals are, an anniversary commemorates a specific day. They could chose to celebrate it all year long, but there is absolutely zero way that a 25th anniversary can occur any less than 25 years from the original date. Even if they're celebrating it a little in advance to the actual day, it couldn't possibly occur the calendar year still couldn't be less than 25 years from the original date. Your argument really only pertains to counting seasons, not anniversaries, which are two totally different things. In theory, a team could be celebrating 5 seasons on their 7th anniversary, if there was lockouts or strikes or something.

I find in favor of the original poster.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

No matter when a league's season starts and ends, no matter what the players union considers to be the off-season, no matter when the finals are, an anniversary commemorates a specific day. They could chose to celebrate it all year long, but there is absolutely zero way that a 25th anniversary can occur any less than 25 years from the original date. Even if they're celebrating it a little in advance to the actual day, it couldn't possibly occur the calendar year still couldn't be less than 25 years from the original date. Your argument really only pertains to counting seasons, not anniversaries, which are two totally different things. In theory, a team could be celebrating 5 seasons on their 7th anniversary, if there was lockouts or strikes or something.

I find in favor of the original poster.

And I would too but from what I can remember that is not the only sporting commemorative patch with the "anniversary" anomaly so as far as I'm concerned there has to be some other reason than a screw up. I doubt very much more than one team would make such a mistake.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

The patch, unfortunately, is wrong. The 1986 season was the Mets' 25th season in Major League Baseball. Anything that happened on any given day in 1962, including the Mets playing their first baseball game/season, would have its 25th anniversary in 1987. At first I thought. "There's no way the Mets were actually awarded their franchise the same year they began play." so I figured the thinking might be that the Mets were awarded their franchise in 1961 and were celebrating the 25th anniversary of that, which would make it more palatable for the patch to be labeled as such, but they were awarded the franchise in 1960, and the patch says '1962' on it anyway. So there is no way that it is correct.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived