Unpopular Opinions

The Oilers should have kept this look (maybe lighten the blue so the navy didn't look black on TV):

Oilers14.png

YES. i understand why they went away from this look, but i still like it ten time better than their current getup

You guys are in the majority. The navy and copper make Edmonton's "throwbacks" look dated, boring and meek.

6uXNWAo.png

I don't like the Jets' look. If you're going to do the shoulder tri-stripe, the outer stripe should not be the same color as the sleeve. Either switch the order of the stripe or change the sleeve color.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Never liked the New York Ranges diagonal wording or their primary logo, they should have adopted Lady Liberty as thier primary logo and maybe keep the old blue diagonal "Rangers" jersey as a 3rd.

NYR_New.gif

Subsitute the "NYR" for the historical "Rangers" wording within the Lady Liberty logo and it would be better.

NYR_2.png

If you asked the majority of fans at a Ranger game which "home" uniform they would prefer....I'm pretty sure this one would win hands down........

8270713919_6f36cafc7e_o.jpg

This is not only classic, it is their true historical home uniform. The dark as home (a la the NFL), has run it's tired course. Bring back the home whites. In the Rangers case, the diagonal letters. Ranger fans are hardcore and traditional, and the Lady Liberty jersey will never be the primary. Though Rangers text does look better than the horrible NYR.

• Like 1

The dark as home (a la the NFL), has run it's tired course. Bring back the home whites.

This is not an unpopular opinion by any means.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I didn't know this was all that unpopular until recently, but those full shoulder patches that Rose Bowl teams wear are beyond ugly.

rose_bowl.jpg

is miles worse than this

Russell+Wilson+Rose+Bowl+Game+presented+Vizio+54iVRvyiA6wl.jpg

The shoulder design you see on Woodson isn't a Rose Bowl thing, it was a Michigan thing. We called it the "Big Jonny Special" after our equipment manager.

Here they are on the white unis in the 93 Rose Bowl:

display_image.jpg?x=356803

Here they are in the 1999 Citrus Bowl:

1999FloridaCitrus_display_image.jpg?1320244332

The 2005 Rose Bowl (note Texas just has the patch)

Braylon-Edwards-2005-Rose-Bowl_photo_medium_display_image.jpg?1298556698

In the 2000 Orange Bowl, the "Michigan Orange Bowl" logo was added opposite the shoulder of the Obie patch (Bama had nothing similar)

6cbcb2e0fbc52ebdcd480ec73b89d8566a6193c6.jpg?x=700&y=360&sig=d58c0c42642836a6276cffaa32fc7f59

The 2007 Rose Bowl broke the "Big Jonny Special" trend as just the RB patch was on the uni and that trend continued in the 2011 Gator Bowl. Last year's Sugar Bowl we went with just the bowl patch as well, though the uniforms were one game only designs:

Sugar-Bowl-Is-Michigan-football-back-K9Q0U7L-x-large.jpg

070101-Rosebowl-002.jpg

• Like 1
spikes.jpg

I'm not wild about modern football uniform designs. With that said, I'd like to see a team that has green as it's primary color unveil a set of unis that blend in with grass (and grass colored turf). Hell if they can make helmets that mimic leather (Redskins) they can make uniforms that mimic grass. That sure would get people to finally stop b*tching about Boise State lol

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I didn't know this was all that unpopular until recently, but those full shoulder patches that Rose Bowl teams wear are beyond ugly.

is miles worse than this

The shoulder design you see on Woodson isn't a Rose Bowl thing, it was a Michigan thing. We called it the "Big Jonny Special" after our equipment manager.

Thank you that is something I had no idea about! That is a pretty neat thing. Still doesn't look good, but neat reasoning!

is miles worse than this

Thank you that is something I had no idea about! That is a pretty neat thing than. Still doesn't look good, but neat reasoning!

No, they looked awful. We all hated it. Almost as bad as the 1970s style track suits we'd get as part of our bowl gifts.

I have no clue where the designs came from, either. Some brutal fonts and random drop shadows...ugh.

spikes.jpg

That was the perfect color scheme for Edmonton.

Why.

Those colors are much more industrial than the throwback colors, which is perfect for a team called the Oilers.

The Houston/Tennessee Oilers got away with a supposedly industrial name while wearing powder blue and bright red. I'm not even sure if working on an oil rig is what comes to mind when I think "industrial." I think "auto factory" or "steel mill" before I think "oil rigs."

The Oilers' royal blue and orange set represents one of the greatest teams to play hockey. The Oilers' navy and copper represents a 90s fashion trend associated with mediocrity and a Cup run that came up short because their starting and second string goalies both got injured in Game 1.

The Oilers' modernization wasn't completely terrible (though the greater Darken & Desaturate trend of the era sure was), but had some critical flaws. For instance, why the red? It muddled the copper stripes, and looked strange as the secondary color on names/numbers rather than copper. I could have lived with it without the red, but the red was distracting -- especially with the Flames down the road. It was fine as a product of its time, I suppose, but now that the Oil is back on the cusp of run-and-gun greatness, they absolutely belong back in their old jumping-off-the-ice colors.

same thing with the Islanders to an extent

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Unpopular Opinions:

Tom Brady is a good QB, but he's not 'elite'. Brady's success is largely a biproduct of Belichick's system. Brady's not bad, but he had a whole lot less to do with those Super Bowl wins than Mr. Hoodie.

As mentioned in another thread, I don't think Ben Roethlisberger is an 'elite' quarterback. I don't even think he's 'great'. I think he's an above-average QB on a team that had a great defense and had a couple of hot streaks. Same goes for Eli Manning.

Robert Griffin is the most overrated player in the NFL. He's basically a less-talented, but more marketable Mike Vick.

There are exactly three ELITE quarterbacks in the NFL:

Peyton Manning

Drew Brees

Aaron Rodgers

Andrew Luck should win Rookie of the Year.

JJ Watt or Adrian Peterson should win MVP.

Peyton Manning is the greatest QB of all time.

Jim Harbaugh will be a Hall of Fame coach.

Sigs are for sissies.