Unpopular Opinions

"The winged wheel logo was actually borrowed from a cycling club in Montreal." Says Bob Duff in his Detroit Red Wings article in Total Hockey: The Official Encyclopedia of the National Hockey League

The team Detroit took the logo from wasn't the originators. They took it from the cycling club.

And I guess it is a bike wheel.

"The winged wheel logo was actually borrowed from a cycling club in Montreal." Says Bob Duff in his Detroit Red Wings article in Total Hockey: The Official Encyclopedia of the National Hockey League

The team Detroit took the logo from wasn't the originators. They took it from the cycling club.

The club wasn't a cycling club. It was an athletic club. Cycling and hockey were each different aspects of the club. The hockey team was the first team to win the Stanley Cup. James Norris, who bought the Detroit Falcons and renamed them the Red Wings, played for them in 1898. So that's why he used a variation of their logo for the Wings. To honour the legacy and history of his former team.

They didn't just see a random athletic club logo and go "let's use that!"

That cycling club WAS Montreal AAA... they called themselves an ATHLETIC association because they played more than one sport.

I understand. I still don't like it. Who else did that? The logo still sucks. My point, history makes things jaded.

That cycling club WAS Montreal AAA... they called themselves an ATHLETIC association because they played more than one sport.

But auto racing wasn't part of that. My point, it isn't a car wheel.

I understand. I still don't like it. Who else did that? The logo still sucks. My point, history makes things jaded.

No one's begrudging you for simply not liking it. It's that your stated reasons came off as misinformed. Had you just said "I don't like the Red Wings' logo no one would have cared.

But auto racing wasn't part of that. My point, it isn't a car wheel.

I don't think the Red Wings ever claimed it was a car wheel. The whole "it's a car wheel/it represents the auto industry" thing probably came from people who didn't know where the logo came from and were trying to justify it to themselves. It's just an homage to one of hockey's earliest powerhouse teams.

I know, Cap. Proving it isn't a car wheel was fueled by this post.

Car wheels can have spokes too.

400_F_1349367_3QSTUVWsH6YZ5ph4RyqDjczMsld0sc.jpg

I understand they are paying homage but that is what I don't like about it. Be your own thing. Of course I realize my opinion on this in unpopular. :D

Well as important as the Montreal AAA hockey team was to hockey history I think the Red Wings have made the winged wheel logo their own thing :D

I hated the Rangers' "Lady Liberty" sweaters and really don't understand the folks who want to see them replace one of the most classic sweaters in the history of hockey. Most New Yorkers have only visited the statue once, on a middle-school field trip... how is that a good symbol for a team representing New York City?

Not to mention it technically sits in NJ's waters.

From the National Park Service:

Is the Statue in New York or New Jersey?

The Statue of Liberty is on Liberty Island, federal property administered by the National Park Service, located within the territorial jurisdiction of the State of New York.

You didnt contradict anything I said above. It still sits in NJ's waters even though NY has jurisdiction over the Island.

Jurisdiction trumps territory. The US embassy in London's in the UK's territory but it's still American land.

It's more or less an easement granted to the given country. And I didnt say anything trumped anything. Stop devolving this further into semantic stupidity.

It's not semantics. If a government has jurisdiction over a piece of land, then that land is theirs. Therefore the Statue of Liberty is in New York because the land it's on falls under the State of New York's jurisdiction.

It's not semantics. If a government has jurisdiction over a piece of land, then that land is theirs. Therefore the Statue of Liberty is in New York because the land it's on falls under the State of New York's jurisdiction.

Oh boy. All I said was Liberty Island was in NJ's waterway, I didnt say who owned what.....

Seriously, what do I need to do to get out of this argument? Can I send you some money or something?

Oh boy. All I said was Liberty Island was in NJ's waterway, I didnt say who owned what.....

Seriously, what do I need to do to get out of this argument? Can I send you some money or something?

You brought it up buddy.

• 3 weeks later...

I always thought the trim on the Chicao Bulls red uniforms looked out of place

96-Bulls.jpg

Just seems like white is supposed to be simply an accent color on the uni given that the font/numbers are black with white trim. I always thought the trim pattern would look better if it were black-white-red-white-black instead of white-black-red-black-white.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

And hate these(Rams)

09000d5d8134ee8a_gallery_600.jpg

Why? I like the Ram's look. I wish they get the helmets right.

I will show you which Ram's look really sucks the most.

St%20Louis%20Rams%20Team%20Players%20Runs.jpg

^ That one sucks the most. The nylon type khaki color pants with navy blue looks so dead, I don't even watch the Rams games much anymore because of this dreaded look.

And hate these(Rams)

09000d5d8134ee8a_gallery_600.jpg

Why? I like the Ram's look. I wish they get the helmets right.

I will show you which Ram's look really sucks the most.

St%20Louis%20Rams%20Team%20Players%20Runs.jpg

^ That one sucks the most. The nylon type khaki color pants with navy blue looks so dead, I don't even watch the Rams games much anymore because of this dreaded look.

I like those pants 100000x more than the blue pants, and I don't really like the white pants either.

You really stopped watching a team just because of the uniforms? I buy Sunday Ticket every year just to be able to watch the Rams, so I would've understood if you'd have said their play over the past decade has turned you off. But the unis? :D