Unpopular Opinions

I would love Miller Park much more if it were downtown where it belongs instead of the Valley, away from the rest of Milwaukee because outstate fans are scurred of the big scurry city.

Because it's so very, very far from the city... oh, wait, no, it's in the city, isn't it?

It might technically be within Milwaukee's civic boundaries, but it's geophysically isolated from the rest of the city and accessible only by freeway (despite being built in an era when ballparks were being built to facilitate foot traffic) to where it may as well have been built in some remote Waukesha County suburb.

Between this, the Brewers taking "Milwaukee" off their road jerseys the year they moved into Miller Park, and their sudden push to market themselves in Northern Wisconsin... even going so far as to claim the new park's roof was built to guarantee they could freely commute to games and not have to worry about rainouts... it's not hard to connect the dots to see who they were trying to facilitate.

As for the whole needing to build Miller Park in the valley for tailgating thing.... I've never bought it. The old Park East Freeway was demolished around that time, and that would've been the perfect spot for a new Brewers stadium.

God forbid I travel seven hours only to have a game rained out and not be able to attend the game(s).

Target Field is in downtown Minneapolis and the atmosphere before the game sucks. Miller and its location are far more fan friendly.

Depends on your definition of fan friendly. Waiting 45 minutes to drive out of a giant parking lot with two exits is not too friendly to this fan. By that time, I am already home, via bus, from a Twins game.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

In my honest opinon, If the roof at Stade Olympique would have worked I think it would have been in the top 5. Within a span of 5-7 years a team goes from playing a futuristic stadium to a retro copycat that is really not that aesthetically pleasing...

To call Nationals Park a "retro copycat" shows that you have no understanding of what a retro-inspired ballpark even is.

6fQjS3M.png

hi-res-51829258_display_image.jpg

2485724_display_image.jpg?1290582801

There you go right there, Browns...what's so hard about this? With proper matching road socks, even!!! (Needs the gray masks, though.)

They could designate this as their primary look tomorrow, and automatically infuse new life into their identity without even adding or subtracting anything (except those white pants).

Make this happen, Mr. Haslam. I'll even keep buying fuel from y'all.

Buc knows what's up.

6fQjS3M.png

These uniforms are kind of fun. I cringed and vomited when they released them...in fact, the weird shoulder gloss panel things and the suspended pants insert bothered me, but I think I'm the only on on these boards who saw them in action and said, "Eh...it's 2013. Let it happen."

175884191.0_standard_400.0.jpg

These uniforms are kind of fun. I cringed and vomited when they released them...in fact, the weird shoulder gloss panel things and the suspended pants insert bothered me, but I think I'm the only on on these boards who saw them in action and said, "Eh...it's 2013. Let it happen."

There is no excuse you can make for the helmet though, that thing is nauseating, my 12 year old brother who is a jacksonville fan even said they look bad

I still maintain that its a couple slight tweaks and a new helmet away from being a really solid look.

Between this, the Brewers taking "Milwaukee" off their road jerseys the year they moved into Miller Park, and their sudden push to market themselves in Northern Wisconsin... even going so far as to claim the new park's roof was built to guarantee they could freely commute to games and not have to worry about rainouts... it's not hard to connect the dots to see who they were trying to facilitate.

As for the whole needing to build Miller Park in the valley for tailgating thing.... I've never bought it. The old Park East Freeway was demolished around that time, and that would've been the perfect spot for a new Brewers stadium.

But that is what the roof is for. It's tough, because Milwaukee is the smallest metro in the majors, and so they do need to pick up the pieces from the rest of Wisconsin. They should never have to market themselves as Not Milwaukee, though. You can't change the reality that the Brewers are from Milwaukee, even if they're in a part of it that bumps up against West Allis.

And you know, I did the tailgate thing once, and it was fun, but I don't think it's something to do habitually. It's like ultimately, okay, you're just eating food in a hot parking lot. Even for sports, it gets to be rather déclassé. I'd rather poke around Milwaukee and find cool places to eat. I don't know what the Park East Freeway is, but building the park downtown probably would have been better.

And yeah, Milwaukee is always under construction, but I never found the delays to be too unreasonable. It's just annoying because you demand a certain level of ease from only being in Milwaukee.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Without a doubt, the fact that it is technically within the City limits is meaningless...as you say, it may as well be in the sticks. I think there's always been some thought that they try to distance themselves from Milwaukee when marketing to the rest of the state, though I think marketing the absence of rainouts just makes good sense. Mediocre mid-market teams need to draw some fans from elsewhere.

As for tailgating, it was so big at County Stadium, I actually did buy it as a reason. There are some pretty whiny Viking fans about the same thing...they wanted the suburban location.

In any case, I'd prefer anyone get a stadium downtown and not on some off ramp...it's too bad.

I'm not denying that tailgating is important to Wisconsin sports fan culture, but I'm not buying the idea that it couldn't have been facilitated downtown. A good amount of space near the Bradley Center became available shortly after ground was broken at Miller Park. If the city was willing to knock down a freeway spur for Harley Davidson (which then went on to build their museum in the valley... oops), why wouldn't they knock it down for the Brewers?

But that is what the roof is for. It's tough, because Milwaukee is the smallest metro in the majors, and so they do need to pick up the pieces from the rest of Wisconsin. They should never have to market themselves as Not Milwaukee, though. You can't change the reality that the Brewers are from Milwaukee, even if they're in a part of it that bumps up against West Allis.

And you know, I did the tailgate thing once, and it was fun, but I don't think it's something to do habitually. It's like ultimately, okay, you're just eating food in a hot parking lot. Even for sports, it gets to be rather déclassé. I'd rather poke around Milwaukee and find cool places to eat. I don't know what the Park East Freeway is, but building the park downtown probably would have been better.

And yeah, Milwaukee is always under construction, but I never found the delays to be too unreasonable. It's just annoying because you demand a certain level of ease from only being in Milwaukee.

The Park East Freeway was a spur of I-94 located right near the Bradley Center that was demolished and stood vacant for over a decade until MSOE built a parking garage/soccer pitch on part of it. At one point, it was floated as a potential site for an MLS pitch until the Bradley Center management put the kibosh on it. This was also around the time the Bucks traded Ray Allen. (For those of you who wonder why I can hate the Bucks so much, there's a huge puzzle piece.)

Easy, Cubby-boy.

This. I've been to Kaufman Stadium and essentially have not been to Kansas City. I enjoy a setting where I can park someplace and walk a few blocks and see some of the City (Denver and San Diego have great settings for this purpose).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I love the Rams' current identity. I think it's the best in franchise history. Just go with the navy jerseys/gold pants and white jersey/gold pants from 2007*.

628x471.jpg

Torry+Holt2.jpg

Just add a thick navy stripe on the pants (surrounded by thin white stripes so that it's W-N-W), wear navy pants on the road as an alternate, and get rid of the white pants - there's no need for them.

*Admittedly, I didn't watch the NFL at all in 2007, so I'm relying on the motherboard for this. If the year is wrong, forgive me.

Edited by BigBubba
  • Like 2

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

This. I've been to Kaufman Stadium and essentially have not been to Kansas City. I enjoy a setting where I can park someplace and walk a few blocks and see some of the City (Denver and San Diego have great settings for this purpose).

I'd put Baltimore and St. Louis in there too.

Also... football tailgating > baseball tailgating

Funny thing about that Seahawks set... I remember when it was considered one of the blandest uniforms in the NFL (mainly because they looked too much like the Cowboys and Lions, and wore silver/white/silver on the road, like their then-division rivals, the Raiders). Now everyone slobbers over them because of how bad uniform design has gotten over the past decade.

Funny thing about that Seahawks set... I remember when it was considered one of the blandest uniforms in the NFL (mainly because they looked too much like the Cowboys and Lions, and wore silver/white/silver on the road, like their then-division rivals, the Raiders). Now everyone slobbers over them because of how bad uniform design has gotten over the past decade.

I bet when this board first opened, and someone started the thread about best and worst unis in the league, those Seahawks sets probably would have gotten a lot of worst votes.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats