Unpopular Opinions

The problems with the original Sharks logo boil down to it just not being very well drawn. The shark's left fin looks like a weird, second dorsal fin because there's no line separating it from the body of the shark. The hockey stick is laughably bad, with the tape on the blade not wrapping all the way around and the knob at the top of the stick not having any tape at all, despite the fact that you can only get a knob at the top of a hockey stick by layering tape. The new logo is a bit overly-cartoony (very anime-esque) and aggressive, but it fixes most of the problems the original had (the tape is still missing from the knob). The original logo still works if you fix those flaws, though.

181_zps1c7cc94d.png

This (well something like this, this was a quick'n'dirty job to get the point across), with their original sweaters, would look great. Maybe not "modern classic" great, but still great.

The Sharks need to come up with a new logo that's kind of in-between those logos. The original logo is too bland (practically no teal, etc.), and the newer one is too cartoony (and both sticks are very poorly executed).

I think some MLB teams should bring back colored pants. Some of those all color uniforms from the 70's and 80's were pretty cool in my opinion (especially some of the light blue ones worn by the Royals, Cardinals, Jays, etc.)

51904074_display_image.jpg?1306732088

gal-unis-jays.jpg

(yes, I know that's Roy Halladay in a throwback)

The Sharks need to come up with a new logo that's kind of in-between those logos. The original logo is too bland (practically no teal, etc.), and the newer one is too cartoony (and both sticks are very poorly executed).

I think some MLB teams should bring back colored pants. Some of those all color uniforms from the 70's and 80's were pretty cool in my opinion (especially some of the light blue ones worn by the Royals, Cardinals, Jays, etc.)

gal-unis-jays.jpg

The only teams that would work for are ones who are matched with a very light jersey. It looks good there because both the Jays and Royals are wearing powder blue.

I hate the term "dated".

OK, how about this: the Sharks' original logo was reflective of the 1990's style of "cartoony" logos and really started to look out-of-place as it reached 15 years old. The thin stroke lines, the overly-detailed teeth and stick, and the "mild" look of it just didn't work by the time 2007 came around. The new one is more "fierce" and doesn't look as "dead" (i.e. there's a lot more implied motion).

181.gifdmo1xf3z4pph27vmg3gf.gif

Really? You think their 1990s logo is more "cartoony" than their post-2007 one?

To me, the original Shark seemed more in-harmony and more worthy of an NHL logo (despite all the errors pointed out by some people on here). Hell, the wordmarks used on the post-2007 logo suggest the team was drawn up on an amateur site.

Really? You think their 1990s logo is more "cartoony" than their post-2007 one?

If Nickelodeon ever made a show with anthropomorphic sharks, I'd envision them looking like the amateurish pre-2007 logo, so yes.

-BigBubba

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

gal-unis-jays.jpg

The only teams that would work for are ones who are matched with a very light jersey. It looks good there because both the Jays and Royals are wearing powder blue.

Maybe. I also liked the all-maroon Phillies look (probably wouldn't work with their current red), and the Pirates Yellow jersey/black pants look. And if the Padres go back to Brown and Yellow, I think a yellow jersey/pants with brown sleeve combo could be pretty cool.

gal-unis-jays.jpg

76718229.jpg

Matte helmets always look terrible.

When it comes to uniform stuff, you have to be careful about avoiding broad strokes. Not all traditional looks are good, not all modern looks are bad, etc...

For this, however, I make an exception. Matte helmets look terrible. I have yet to see a matte design where I've gone "I'm sure glad they went with matte, this would look terrible with a standard gloss finish."

• Like 1

Those weren't really matte. They were more textured.

When it comes to uniform stuff, you have to be careful about avoiding broad strokes. Not all traditional looks are good, not all modern looks are bad, etc...

For this, however, I make an exception. Matte helmets look terrible. I have yet to see a matte design where I've gone "I'm sure glad they went with matte, this would look terrible with a standard gloss finish."

I've been saying this since the first time I saw a matte helmet on a sports team, which I think was Japanese baseball in the first World Baseball Classic. Not one has ever looked good. Not one has ever looked better than it otherwise would have with a gloss finish. I can't wait until they're no longer "kewl" and every college football team doesn't feel the need to have a matte alternate.

I thought the Vikings looked okay, but that helmet was far better when it was glossy. The problems they're having with the color discrepancies between the helmets and jerseys is another reason they shoulda stuck with the same lids they've been using.

PvO6ZWJ.png

This is one of my favourite retro OHL jerseys.

guelph_storm_1994-95_front.jpg

jeffoneill5020.jpg

I don't know what it is about it that I like. Maybe it's the blue and grey mix. Maybe it's the shade of blue that they use. Maybe it's that really 90's looking drawing of a storm. I just don't know.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

Those weren't really matte. They were more textured.

I've been saying this since the first time I saw a matte helmet on a sports team, which I think was Japanese baseball in the first World Baseball Classic. Not one has ever looked good. Not one has ever looked better than it otherwise would have with a gloss finish. I can't wait until they're no longer "kewl" and every college football team doesn't feel the need to have a matte alternate.

I thought the Vikings looked okay, but that helmet was far better when it was glossy. The problems they're having with the color discrepancies between the helmets and jerseys is another reason they shoulda stuck with the same lids they've been using.

I am in this camp as well no reason for them other than just to be different

For some reason, I think the 49ers would look far better with a matte helmet now. Maybe it's just because the current khaki pants/shiny gold helmet look drives me nuts, I dunno.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

No they would look a lot better with shiny pants. Shiny pants/helmet>>>>matte helmet/khaki pants

Word. I prefer shiny pants too. But for some strange reason, I don't think they'll go with shiny pants again. Basically, if they just match the helmet and pant colors, I'll be fine with their look.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.