Unpopular Opinions

No kudos to the Orioles for that thing. Ever.

I'm sick of stars. It might be the most overused design in sports, next to the alternate logo roundel in hockey. Who would have thought that something 9 year old girls sketch in their notebooks for fun would make for such a popular design aspect for big, tough sports teams? The Astros, Blue Jackets, Capitals, a team in Dallas so bereft of originality they had to call themselves the Stars...I'm done with them.

No kudos to the Orioles for that thing. Ever.

I'm sick of stars. It might be the most overused design in sports, next to the alternate logo roundel in hockey. Who would have thought that something 9 year old girls sketch in their notebooks for fun would make for such a popular design aspect for big, tough sports teams? The Astros, Blue Jackets, Capitals, a team in Dallas so bereft of originality they had to call themselves the Stars...I'm done with them.

Re: The Orioles...totally agree. Though kudos to them for the early 1990s rendition.

Are stars over-used? Maybe, but I disagree with the bold. They were the Minnesota North Stars, named, I suspect for Minnesota's nickname of "The North Star State". The franchise has never seemed to want to totally ignore its Minnesota roots. So I'd suspect they are the "Stars" because it's as close as they could get to keeping the name without being too "wrong" (i.e., that Dallas is not "north").

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I get the Minnesota thing, but going from North Stars to just Stars is kinda lame. It's like the New Orleans Jazz becoming the Utah Notes. You just went from a name that reflected the location, to being as generic as possible.

"Hey, our team used to be a reference to Polaris, and our team's location in a northern state, but what should we call ourselves now?"

"How about Stars?"

"A reference to...every star?"

"Yes."

"Cool!"

I get the Minnesota thing, but going from North Stars to just Stars is kinda lame. It's like the New Orleans Jazz becoming the Utah Notes. You just went from a name that reflected the location, to being as generic as possible.

"Hey, our team used to be a reference to Polaris, and our team's location in a northern state, but what should we call ourselves now?"

"How about Stars?"

"Yes."

"Cool!"

Yeaaa but stars have some significance in Texas. Especially Dallas it seems. I guess cause the state flag... And maybe that dopey song.

I've never been to TX but that's what it seems like to me

90758391980.gif

I'm starting to truly like the Hurricanes new uniforms. But before rebuttling, know this:

Do I think it's the best look the 'Canes ever had? Hell no!

Do I think it's a respectable look, fit for at least a few years? Yes. It may not be their best look ever, but it suits the current era of hockey jerseys traditional, but with some modern touches.

I always thought Kansas 2008 jerseys they wore in the national championship season was the best look they ever had. Then of course, Adidas ruined a great thing with their "Revolution 30" junk they now have. Still, I love them their NOB fonts are cool, and their numeral fonts are awesome.

ku_titletown_horizontal_t640.jpg?a6ea3eb

Texas+Tech+v+Kansas+vLTxQsiuc3Ml.jpg

May not be an "unpopular opinion", because a lot of people will feel the same way.

• Like 1

"How about Stars?"

"Yes."

"Cool!"

They went from the "North Star State" to the "Lone Star State", it made sense to keep some form of the star moniker in Texas, and since "Lone Stars" doesn't make any sense, they just kept "Stars." Is it terribly creative? No. But it almost made too much sense.

• Like 1

The Cowboys white jersey is actually one of the ugliest, most non-sensical uniforms I've ever seen. Different blue on the helmet, different blue on the pants, and a different blue on the jersey. Stupid striping on the sleeves with a random and completely unnneccesary black stroke. The color of the pants looks horrible with the light blue, switch it to the navy and you're already a billion times better.

They won't, they are the Cowboys. The front office loves to alienate their own fans by wearing white jerseys at home. They have been doing a good job for that during the past 40-45 years. That is the reason I hardly watch Cowboys games on television when they are at home anymore, because everybody knows they will be wearing the ugly, most non-sensical white unis at home. Wake me up when they finally do something different, which will probably mean never!!!

I hate captain patches on uniforms.

Hockey is the only one it looks right, soccer too I could guess would make sense.

But football....who cares its always a quarterback...big whoop, as if being the quarterback isn't enough a designation that he leads the team.

I don't like it in any sport.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

They won't, they are the Cowboys. The front office loves to alienate their own fans by wearing white jerseys at home.

From what I can tell Cowboys fans prefer the white at home look. The team isn't alienating them.

Here's one I haven't thrown out there, but will definitely be under the "unpopular opinion" criteria

With the exception of the Boston Celtics and Celtic FC, in almost all cases I prefer a darker green to kelly green. Yes, that includes the Jets (if Nike could ever get the greens to match like they were prior to the 2012 takeover) and the Eagles. The Stars are in a shade darker than kelly too, right?

I also think the Bucks are better off being a green/red team than a multi-green team.

• Like 1

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse