Unpopular Opinions

82vfhup2nflrbcogo4bubyq8e.png

I for one don't really really think the whole Blue Jays set from 2004-2011 was really that bad. It's a least better then that terrible "anthropomorphic, roided-out" Blue Jay they had the year previously.

v2cs63mhao1kv2mfu2ybjr4fp.png

The "Black Jays" would've been doable if they incorporated some more blue into the uniform. Like a blue cap with a black brim or a blue trim or something. As it was, they were unrecognizable as the "Blue Jays."

As for the Roid Jay, the mascot itself was fine, but it was a bit busy for a cap logo, and I've always appreciated how the Jays were one of the few teams who didn't have a letter on their caps.

I love the Roid Jay, and was ecstatic when they came out in the Cooperstown Collection. I bought one right away. My favourite hat.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Rays home white jersey is baseball perfection.......blue piping, nice script with the sun burst, and a sleeve logo........not too little, not too much going on.

Agreed to a point. It's a good look, but would look even better with a few individual touches.

A few touches that would've made the Rays go from being just another blue team, to a modern masterpiece:

-More usage of the double blue color scheme. The light blue color is really hidden in both the home and away uniform.

-Yellow should've been used as a nice tertiary color, similar to the fauxpaux look. Of course, nothing so extreme, but something a tad more out of the box.

-I would've really liked to see the plaid look pushed more by the Rays. Using it on the cap, sox, and maybe gloves would've really set us apart on an individuality stand-point. Some say it's minor league, I think it's a creative master-piece.

Using any of those three ideas would've really helped the Rays.

• Like 1

It is perfectly acceptable for an MLB team to use a gray script or outline on a road alternate uniform.

matt-harvey-big-dl.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=

Acceptable? Yes.

Does it look good? Well...

LOL. Personally, I think that Mets jersey could be improved if it was an orange script w/ a gray outline, but it's the only uni in the MLB that came to mind that demonstrates my point. Really, though, I don't think it's too bad as-is, but I recognize that's an unpopular opinion.

This is the best uniform set the Suns have ever worn:

6fc13c95b6f601bcfdf47c864858c7791598b0c488037215.0_standard_730.0.jpg

No gray, no black, no sublimination, nothing to clutter it. Admittedly, it would've been better if the home uniform used a "Suns" wordmark and the wordmark fonts matched, but it still forms a great set.

Jesus man !......where is the uniform ? all i see is skin......not a fan of the uniform or the XX-small look for that matter ! LOL

It is perfectly acceptable for an MLB team to use a gray script or outline on a road alternate uniform.

matt-harvey-big-dl.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=

Acceptable? Yes.

Does it look good? Well...

I don't really understand the hate for this jersey. I think it looks really good.

Here's a likely unpopular one - MLB needs to stop with the Negro League and Minor League throwbacks. It's not needed, it dilutes the brand, and at least in the case of the Negro League unis, most of them are ass ugly. The White Sox shouldn't wear throwbacks to a Negro League team that had no affiliation with the Sox. The Brewers, Padres and Rays shouldn't throw back to old minor league teams that had nothing to do with those major league franchises (even when they share the same name). We criticize MLB for the camouflage and S&S, and rightly so, but these are no better.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Here's a likely unpopular one - MLB needs to stop with the Negro League and Minor League throwbacks. It's not needed, it dilutes the brand, and at least in the case of the Negro League unis, most of them are ass ugly. The White Sox shouldn't wear throwbacks to a Negro League team that had no affiliation with the Sox. The Brewers, Padres and Rays shouldn't throw back to old minor league teams that had nothing to do with those major league franchises (even when they share the same name). We criticize MLB for the camouflage and S&S, and rightly so, but these are no better.

I tend to agree, barring a very special anniversary (maybe a 100th Anniversary of the city's first Negro League or professional game, but that's about it)...rare enough that it would not happen for any team in the league during a typical season.

I would actually like to see a rule that a team can only wear a "throwback" or "special" uniform for one game per season...they can celebrate the anniversary of a championship, franchise anniversary, etc. one time only. Otherwise it's home, road and alt (which I'd like limited to one alt worn for 10% of the games or fewer, but that's a tangent).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I would actually like to see a rule that a team can only wear a "throwback" or "special" uniform for one game per season...they can celebrate the anniversary of a championship, franchise anniversary, etc. one time only. Otherwise it's home, road and alt (which I'd like limited to one alt worn for 10% of the games or fewer, but that's a tangent).

I think there was a rule like that at one time. In 2005, the Dodgers were coming to the south side of Chicago for the first time since the 1959 World Series. I wanted to buy tickets to one of those games before the season. At the Soxfest convention in January, I asked one of the reps if they would be wearing throwbacks for that series. I was told that they would, but by MLB rules, they were only allowed to wear such throwbacks for one game per season. Anyway, the Sox wore fantastic wool throwbacks for the Saturday game of that series. If that rule did exist, it was specifically for once-off throwbacks, and not for throwbacks which the team designated as an official alternate for that season (such as the Sox did in 2001, 2006, 2012 and 2013).

I agree that it should be limited to once a year, though. Particularly if the team isn't celebrating an anniversary. It was (kinda) cool that the Sox wore their 1983 throwbacks last year. This year they are official alternates, in a non-anniversary year, so the team basically decides to look like an entirely different team for all home day games at this point.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think there was a rule like that at one time. In 2005, the Dodgers were coming to the south side of Chicago for the first time since the 1959 World Series. I wanted to buy tickets to one of those games before the season. At the Soxfest convention in January, I asked one of the reps if they would be wearing throwbacks for that series. I was told that they would, but by MLB rules, they were only allowed to wear such throwbacks for one game per season. Anyway, the Sox wore fantastic wool throwbacks for the Saturday game of that series. If that rule did exist, it was specifically for once-off throwbacks, and not for throwbacks which the team designated as an official alternate for that season (such as the Sox did in 2001, 2006, 2012 and 2013).

I agree that it should be limited to once a year, though. Particularly if the team isn't celebrating an anniversary. It was (kinda) cool that the Sox wore their 1983 throwbacks last year. This year they are official alternates, in a non-anniversary year, so the team basically decides to look like an entirely different team for all home day games at this point.

That's what bugs me about the Brewers BiG look and the Twins cream jerseys (and when the Black Jays were wearing weekly throwbacks). Neither look is bad in and of themselves but the dilute the team identities.

I hope this is a popular opinion; teams should not dilute their present look by consistently using a past look. Is the Brewer fauxback/throwback look better than the current look? Maybe. If so, then make it your look again. Otherwise, show commitment to your current identity.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

That said, the royal & yellow/gold combo just says "Summer in Milwaukee" more than the Germanics do. Milwaukeeans are unsually proud of our summer traditions (Lakefront Festivals, Brewers, Cook-Outs, Block Parties/Street Festivals) because winters here are so brutal and last so long. The BiG-era colors just scream summer in a way the Germanics don't.

Nailed it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫