Unpopular Opinions

OK...here we go...

I feel I've hidden this too long and I must get it off my chest.

I am OK with the Cowboys mismatched colors and I really like their white uniform overall.

(Ducks the tomatoes)

I admit that before I came around here, I never realized that the colors were mismatched. In hindsight, I cannot believe I did not notice. So once you all helped me realize the obvious, I thought "yeah, they need to do something about that." And of course some of you made very nice-looking concepts that solved this problem. The thing is, though, I found each of those concepts boring. Every time, I found it to be a visual downgrade.

In theory, they should not have mismatched blues (and silver/green pants with silver helmet). I know they should not. But I kinda hope they keep it. I also like the thin black outlines on the sleeve stripes...why? I have no idea. Generally speaking I am OK with a jersey that just has blue and white (see Maple Leafs) but I think the thin black adds something (I hate this word but...POP!).

If they change, I won't complain because I know it will be right. But I kinda hope they don't. Does ANYONE else feel this way?

I halfway feel this way.. I don't want them to switch to silver across the board, because their helmets are not silver. They're Texas Blue, which they've always been.. The paint color has just evolved over time and has become a bit more silver, but it's still very different from the Raiders or Panthers, etc.. The green in the pants was pre-HDTV, and the greenish hue actually made the pants appear to be the correct shade of blueish silver on tv with the quality of the video at the time.. If anything, they should adjust all silvers to "Texas Blue", which would still allow for a unique shade on their pants, and maybe simplify to single blue, either royal or navy, but I agree that there are some quirks that work for them, although I'm all for simplifying the color palette

• NFL:
    • Giants: Too much separation of red and blue

Yes.

Giants-Bleacherreport.com_.jpg

Mark+Herzlich+New+York+Giants+v+New+Engl

The amount of love this garbage gets is truly mind-boggling. The colour balance is horrendous - to have both jerseys completely devoid of one of your primary colours looks cheap and amateurishly inconsistent. The all-red jersey with the primarily blue helmet is comical; they look like a rec team who ordered their helmets, then found out money was tight and could afford only one colour on their jerseys. Then there's the fact that the jersey designs are completely different, which makes them look like two completely different teams. Again, horribly inconsistent. And that home jersey? Literally the only non-mandated design element is the "ny" under the collar, which is so short width-wise that is looks awkward. There's minimalist design (Colts), and then there's boring. This looks like the same rec team went "Shít! We can't even afford customized stripes, either!". This might be one of the worst looks in the entire league.

Thank you!

The blue and white jersey has no red. The white and red jersey has no blue. The gray paints seem slapped on as an afterthought since there's no gray on the helmet (mask doesn't count, tons of teams use them) or on the jersey.

No striping on the blue jerseys make them look like practice jerseys. The striping on the white ones are done very poorly.

The paints stripes are out of nowhere...they match nothing else on the uniform...in either version (road or away).

The Giants uniforms might look "classic" to some but they don't look professional to me...they're a jumbled mess with the worst offense being the deletion of a major team color on each jersey.

They had a better design here...and screwed it up royally:

639921_display_image.jpg

Not an unpopular opinion at all. They had a great look, and they just had to go change it again. Like they thought it didn't look enough like a throwback. This was back during the throwback fashion craze.

• NFL:

Yes.

The amount of love this garbage gets is truly mind-boggling. The colour balance is horrendous - to have both jerseys completely devoid of one of your primary colours looks cheap and amateurishly inconsistent. The all-red jersey with the primarily blue helmet is comical; they look like a rec team who ordered their helmets, then found out money was tight and could afford only one colour on their jerseys. Then there's the fact that the jersey designs are completely different, which makes them look like two completely different teams. Again, horribly inconsistent. And that home jersey? Literally the only non-mandated design element is the "ny" under the collar, which is so short width-wise that is looks awkward. There's minimalist design (Colts), and then there's boring. This looks like the same rec team went "Shít! We can't even afford customized stripes, either!". This might be one of the worst looks in the entire league.

The original road uniforms with that set were perfect.

hi-res-1715141-holder-matt-allen-of-the-

Every change they've made since then has been a massive downgrade.

• NFL:

Yes.

Do the Giants really wear two different sets of grey pants?

The New York Giants had those new white pants in, what, 2013? I thought those were pretty sweet.

Also...the more I watch highlights of the Buccaneers, the more I like the new helmet. The number font on the uniform still sucks, but the helmet is cool. It was a huge upgrade when they got rid of the matte black streaks and just used straight metallic pewter..

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Vancouver Canucks stick-in-rink. I hate that crappy, bland, generic logo with a passion.

I agree, but it's still the best logo they've ever had which is probably why it gets so much (baffling) love. The Canucks need to blow it all up and start from scratch again. But since that logo is so (unbelievably) beloved I don't see them ever being able to escape it.

I never understood the "boring" argument. It's no less "exciting" than the Habs, Leafs, Packers, Steelers, 9ers, and most other logos considered untouchable classics. They just have enough history behind them to make them see the logos with rose coloured glasses.

for12dfd4agde8ldpkzg.gif

While the Canucks certainly don't have the same degree of prestige as those teams, but the logo has a level of rapport around BC that is unmatched, especially considering the identity crisis the team has gone through. Its a point of consistency thats been with the team throughout most of its history in one form or another.

The problem isn't really that it's boring. It's that it doesn't really relate to the team at all. Says nothing about Vancouver or Canucks. It's a generic logo that could be used for pretty much any team in the league (And no, that's still not a real "C"). It would actually be a great logo for a hockey league, because it's a nice, simple design. For a team, though? It could be anybody..

You could make the argument that most of the "untouchable classics" could represent any team with the same initials as well. A logo doesn't have to be a literal representation of the teams namesake anyways.

The Rink in a Stick logo completely fails because it doesn't look like a C. It's as simple as that.

The inner white part is clearly a C. The blue part is an ugly C, but it's still a C.

The Rink in a Stick logo completely fails because it doesn't look like a C. It's as simple as that.

The inner white part is clearly a C. The blue part is an ugly C, but it's still a C.

It is a C in the deformed possible sense. Honestly I've never looked at the white part, but it looking like a rectangular c doesn't justify the logo's existence.

It is a C in the deformed possible sense. Honestly I've never looked at the white part, but it looking like a rectangular c doesn't justify the logo's existence.

Ok, what justifies a logo's existence?

Being good.

Being good.

So we can agree the stick in rink's existence is justified then.

Relevant.

flojo_west-15_0.jpg?itok=F9_MnkYm

So overrated. The overlapping collar. The drop-shadow. The asymmetrical stripes. The bad kind of 90'e jersey.

YES. THIS.

I just don't get the love for this set. I truly believe if someone posted a basketball concept like this, it would be laughed off the board in a heartbeat. The 1970s Helvetica-ish font screams "I'm using Microsoft Word fonts in Paint to design this jersey". I hate it.

And yes, I'll go there... Would people still be nuts for this uni if it *wasn't* a FloJo design?

I don't think that has much to do with it. You're just hung up on that because people call them "the FloJo uniforms" as a shorthand for lack of a better term.

Perhaps some parts of the execution haven't aged well, but the idea behind them -- to look "speedy" -- worked well for them. It matched the primary logo well, better than the pinstripes ever did.

Just as a quick-and-dirty, I changed the typeface from Helvetica to Haettenschweiler (NOT Impact!), and put a base-color stroke around the top layer to set it off from the drop shadow. I think this would look just fine today:

b09AZxI.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I do and don't like it. I like the sublimated checkered flags, but ideally, the electric blue and yellow is left to the Warriors while the Pacers go with midnight blue. As for the Nuggets, ah, I dunno.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫