Unpopular Opinions

The New York Islanders have the worst logo in American pro sports. If it were released nowadays, it would get Thunder-like reception.

40+ years of a nostalgia and a Dynasty will cover up a lot.

at least it's indicative of the team's location and nickname unlike the Thunder...

With all due respect to Fraser Davidson and his magical assembly line of graphic glory, I don't want every team's logo to look as if it were released nowadays.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

With all due respect to Fraser Davidson and his magical assembly line of graphic glory, I don't want every team's logo to look as if it were released nowadays.

I'm with you there. I like looking at a league or even a division, and seeing balance between design of old and design of now. It's one of the things that intrigues me most about design in sports; it's truly a neat thing that, save a few exceptions, two opposites don't collide, but rather mesh. Seeing an old man in hiked up dress pants and overalls walking with a guy in American Eagle stuff and sunglasses can be a bit of a strange sight and not really fit together, yet a Mariners/Tigers game just looks awesome sometimes. Sports design as a whole is awesome for that reason.

• Like 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

The New York Islanders have the worst logo in American pro sports. If it were released nowadays, it would get Thunder-like reception.

I'm not sure if it's the worst, but it sure is awful.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I think Nike has been a huge downgrade in the NFL. Not so much for the designs. Reebok blew it with a few teams (not as bad as Nike did with the Bucs, but both companies had some duds).

I have a slightly bigger problem with Nike's "stamps"...toilet seat collars, Seattle and Tampa having very "nikefied" designs and the awful Jags helmet are a bit worse then Reebok's over-reliance on piping and side panels. As bad as that was, it did not smack so much of "uniforms are a billboard for manufacturers."

But the big thing for me is how cheap it looks. I really struggle with the general notion that Nike's quality is better. I don't buy replicas and cannot really speak to that. But the sweat boxes, see through pants, mismatched greens and the inability to produce green Eagles jerseys really made me feel that quality took a huge tumble. But I am virtually alone.

In fairness, Reebok was not immune to putting their "stamp" on things in a disastrous manner themselves. Exhibit A - the TechFit jerseys:

ZSc7MkI.jpg

lIQQCm8.jpg

Just as ugly and cheap-looking as they are in college. Look at how warped the Giants' logo and the Jaguars' stripes are.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The New York Jets Kelly green uniforms with black accents were underrated. If they ever decide to rebrand, I'd personally hope they go in that direction.

• Like 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

My problem with the Eagles' midnight green uniforms is the inclusion of additional dark colors (black & charcoal grey). If they were just midnight green & white (or even silver) they'd be a lot more tolerable for me.

Also I gripe I have at times with the Ravens.

• Like 2

Hotter Than July > Thriller

My problem with the Eagles' midnight green uniforms is the inclusion of additional dark colors (black & charcoal grey). If they were just midnight green & white (or even silver) they'd be a lot more tolerable for me.

Also I gripe I have at times with the Ravens.

This.

Those three color together are a bit of a nightmare. There isn't anything that has any real contrast. If they switched out charcoal for silver at the numbers and pants stripe that would be a major improvement. I still would rather have the kelly, just because I love that color, but the dismal lack of contrast is the biggest problem.

• Like 1

I think Nike has been a huge downgrade in the NFL. Not so much for the designs. Reebok blew it with a few teams (not as bad as Nike did with the Bucs, but both companies had some duds).

I have a slightly bigger problem with Nike's "stamps"...toilet seat collars, Seattle and Tampa having very "nikefied" designs and the awful Jags helmet are a bit worse then Reebok's over-reliance on piping and side panels. As bad as that was, it did not smack so much of "uniforms are a billboard for manufacturers."

But the big thing for me is how cheap it looks. I really struggle with the general notion that Nike's quality is better. I don't buy replicas and cannot really speak to that. But the sweat boxes, see through pants, mismatched greens and the inability to produce green Eagles jerseys really made me feel that quality took a huge tumble. But I am virtually alone.

In fairness, Reebok was not immune to putting their "stamp" on things in a disastrous manner themselves. Exhibit A - the TechFit jerseys:

ZSc7MkI.jpg

lIQQCm8.jpg

Just as ugly and cheap-looking as they are in college. Look at how warped the Giants' logo and the Jaguars' stripes are.

There's a good chance that some warping of the NY logo could be the result of tape on the shoulder pads.. Guys will often put double sided tape on their pads so their jersey will be harder to grab, and it usually results in some warping of jersey details.

I prefer jerseys without players' names on the back.

My case: #2 wouldn't be as iconic if "Jeter" was on the back. That's my opinion

derekjeterjersey.jpg

Also:

4dcab45d28ebb.image.jpg

Lou Holtz also did this:

586303_medium.jpg

I'm not sure what it is that I like. It seems more like a united front.

The thing that would make me mad if I was a fan of any of those teams is that the replica jerseys and shirts have the names on it.

Lou Holtz also did this:

586303_medium.jpg

I'm not sure what it is that I like. It seems more like a united front.

Those South Carolina jerseys look like generic practice jerseys. I remember Holtz's days there but I don't remember them looking that bad.

^

That was my first first thought too, though the "Carolina" on the front probably helped. Still though, I have no memory of no TV numbers, nothing on the sleeves, and one-tone numbers.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)