Unpopular Opinions

The problem is that the whole idea of the Perds embracing yellow is that it's become their whole rallying point: they're The Yellow Team. If they were to wear it on the road, that'd be great, but it would have to be their home uniform as well. That would be interesting for one team to have only one uniform. Maybe wear the yellow helmets on the road so as not to clash with dark helmets (but not Dark Helmet) and wear the blue helmets at home against the visiting team's white.

I know some Preds fans wouldn't mind that. From a marketing standpoint, though, I doubt the team would ever go to a single sweater for both home and away.

Perhaps you could retain the white sweaters as quasi-alternates for games where [other team's color] versus yellow would be unpalatable, like Philadelphia, or...well, I guess that's it. Yellow goes fine with everyone else's red, blue, or black.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The problem is that the whole idea of the Perds embracing yellow is that it's become their whole rallying point: they're The Yellow Team. If they were to wear it on the road, that'd be great, but it would have to be their home uniform as well. That would be interesting for one team to have only one uniform. Maybe wear the yellow helmets on the road so as not to clash with dark helmets (but not Dark Helmet) and wear the blue helmets at home against the visiting team's white.

I know some Preds fans wouldn't mind that. From a marketing standpoint, though, I doubt the team would ever go to a single sweater for both home and away.

You're thinking yellow-vs-color matchups, Cap? I'm so there.

Yep. Wear gold on the road in place of white, and wear navy at home. I know it diminishes the team's ownership of yellow/gold, but big picture? The Preds would still have a very unique set, and the yellow would still be a huge part of that.

It would detract from Nashville's gold identity, but a some of the fans wouldn't mind it too much if they made navy the home color (assuming a strong presence of gold as a secondary on the home). Marketing it right would be crucial by the team, though. Some sort of "We're taking Gold on the road" campaign.

The whole set was a train wreck from day 1... The yellow helmets just add the bold and underline.

Now that I've seen more of them, I'd rather wear the navy helmets at home and gold on the road. I strongly disagree that the set is a trainwreck, though. The previous set, now that was an unfocused 90's remnant nightmare.

In my opinion, the Predators have only had one terrible jerseys, and the rest have been good, with an almost fantastic current set. I just wish there was a blue third, and the white piping and yellow/blue things by it disappeared.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Not sure how unpopular this is, but watching the NLDS last night, I don't like the gray the Mets have. It doesn't provide enough contrast with their blue-and-orange word mark. Seems either the gray should be a bit lighter, or there should be a white outline. I don't recall there being much contrast even with the black jerseys.

You know, I agree. There is something to this. I love the Mets' current set, but something is off about the gray jersey. Unless it's a straight-on camera shot of a player remaining relatively still, the jersey looks washed out. The orange and blue both look muted, like they're much lighter than the Mets' actual colors. They never have that issue on the home jerseys. I don't know why they have that issue, as I believe all teams use the same gray now. I don't remember the Giants' or Astros' orange outlines every looking washed out on the road sets. And I don't think it's something with the lighting in Dodger Stadium in particular, because I remember seeing part of a Mets daygame at Wrigley and thinking the same thing about the colors looking washed out.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I kind of like the 1971 Dodgers' sotra-racing stripe look on their road uniforms:

DA_LAD_AB.jpg

The thinness of the stripes, and the stripes' connections to the collar and sleeve piping, allow this non-traditional uniform element to blend in with an otherwise classic look. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't use a "Los Angeles" script on the front.

I kind of like the 1971 Dodgers' sotra-racing stripe look on their road uniforms:

DA_LAD_AB.jpg

The thinness of the stripes, and the stripes' connections to the collar and sleeve piping, allow this non-traditional uniform element to blend in with an otherwise classic look. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't use a "Los Angeles" script on the front.

Wow. I had no idea the Dodgers ever wore these. In all my years of posting here I hadn't seen these come up. Wild.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yep. Wear gold on the road in place of white, and wear navy at home. I know it diminishes the team's ownership of yellow/gold, but big picture? The Preds would still have a very unique set, and the yellow would still be a huge part of that.

It would detract from Nashville's gold identity, but a some of the fans wouldn't mind it too much if they made navy the home color (assuming a strong presence of gold as a secondary on the home). Marketing it right would be crucial by the team, though. Some sort of "We're taking Gold on the road" campaign.

The whole set was a train wreck from day 1... The yellow helmets just add the bold and underline.

Now that I've seen more of them, I'd rather wear the navy helmets at home and gold on the road. I strongly disagree that the set is a trainwreck, though. The previous set, now that was an unfocused 90's remnant nightmare.

In my opinion, the Predators have only had one terrible jerseys, and the rest have been good, with an almost fantastic current set. I just wish there was a blue third, and the white piping and yellow/blue things by it disappeared.
They've definitely had more than one terrible jersey. Their first edge-set road sweater was AWFUL. And so was the mustard yellow sweater...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

They've definitely had more than one terrible jersey. Their first edge-set road sweater was AWFUL. And so was the mustard yellow sweater...

The mustard alt is the one i was referring to with the terrible. the edge set was bad, yes, nit not awful. also not as bad at the leafs post edge set, or the pens, or the sens, or tampa, or a couple others.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

The mustard alt was horrific, which is a shame, I really liked that logo, it looks like the kind of identity the team would have if they were created as part of the first expansion era.

The previous two generations of Preds sweaters could have been worse, but they shouldn't have survived as long as they did. There were also too many colors going on, and it made them feel unfocused. I'm much happier with the current set, but would like the blue alt to make a return.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

The mustard alt is the one i was referring to with the terrible. the edge set was bad, yes, nit not awful. also not as bad at the leafs post edge set, or the pens, or the sens, or tampa, or a couple others.
Definitely agree with the pens/sens/bolts being worse than Nashville, but not Toronto.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I like the Marlins' current branding.

Me too...would I want it for any of the East Coast or Midwest teams? Of course not...but this is MIAMI we're talking about here.

Bright and flashy visuals is what Miami does best...

bYhYmxh.png

I like the Marlins' current branding.

Me too...would I want it for any of the East Coast or Midwest teams? Of course not...but this is MIAMI we're talking about here.

Bright and flashy visuals is what Miami does best...

These are often my thoughts about expansion teams in general. I've seen some people decree teams like Arizona or Colorado (not here, necessarily) bemoaning their colors and wanting more "traditional" looks. I've always felt like asking why? Arizona and Colorado are not traditional teams, they were founded in the 90s. (I'm just using those two as examples, of course.) I don't know why teams that were founded recently should ever feel compelled to look like an older team. The Marlins could break out teal pinstripes and have a chest logo just like the Yankees; doesn't mean they'd suddenly have a gigantic payroll and fan base overnight.

I don't know why teams that were founded recently should ever feel compelled to look like an older team.

The Carolina Panthers in a nutshell.

The Carolina Panthers look modern, just not over-the-top Arena League. The tapered stripes on the pants and helmet are a modern touch.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, the Panthers are plenty modern. They're only "traditional" in the sense that they haven't significantly tweaked their look since it debuted. Which is fine. It's nice seeing newer teams get it right on the first go and stick with it.

• Like 1

I hate the Cleveland Cavaliers logo set... But their current uniform set is probably one of the best overall sports uniforms I've ever seen. Love that shade of yellow. Love the simplistic layout. Love the font. They look great.

• Like 1