Unpopular Opinions

I still can't get accustomed to the NHL having the number decals on the front of the helmet. I associate a sticker in that spot with it being a little kid's name on a piece of tape in a learn to skate class. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Morgo said:

Both of these teams look better here than they do now...

cpKiVoO.jpg

I'm actually inclined to agree, with San Jose. Nashville's uniform, in a vaccuum, might be better, as pictured. I really prefer the new identity, overall. They've gone from just a face in the crowd to a set that stands out more. The simplified logo looks better and I like that they've embraced the Music City identity, without going full-tilt with country music. They made an unorthodox choice to go with athletic gold as their primary, and it's been a huge hit, with the fans.

The current set could use a little tweaking (two shoulder logos, improve the striping, lose the Saturday gold helmets), but I like the overall feel better than the bland look we had before.

• Like 2

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I like the Angels in all red versus the Dodgers' blue, but it's hard to say no to navy blue crowns and undershirts. The biggest flaw in the Angels' identity is that the cap monogram gets lost on the cap. It's tough, because the Big A can't be white or anything but red; that's what the Big A is. Navy blue makes the A jump out, but then you compromise the dominance of the red. It ends up being fine either way.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I like the Angels in all red versus the Dodgers' blue, but it's hard to say no to navy blue crowns and undershirts. The biggest flaw in the Angels' identity is that the cap monogram gets lost on the cap. It's tough, because the Big A can't be white or anything but red; that's what the Big A is. Navy blue makes the A jump out, but then you compromise the dominance of the red. It ends up being fine either way.

Why can't the Big A be anything but red? Actual question because I don't know.

• Like 1

TheBigA.jpg

This has been out there since the early days of Anaheim Stadium. I'm pretty sure it's always been red, so it would be weird if the one on the cap weren't.

EDIT: Apparently it was originally white. Did not know that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 8/23/2016 at 0:41 PM, insert name said:

Can we agree that of all the teams that added black, the Royals were the worst? 

royals-2003-590x450.jpg

royals-2002-590x323.jpg

No, because that home vest uniform is still the best look they've ever worn. (It would have looked even nicer with gold drop shadows instead of black, though.)

The worst uses of black are still the 2000s A's and the 2003-2011 Marlins (I know black was one of their colors, but they still sucked at using it).

IJMlPIn.jpg

QMqaDyl.jpg

KxSXYY4.jpg

HGs0YsH.jpg

thFUERX.jpg

A dishonorable mention goes to the early-2000s Rangers, who often wore an alternate version of their regular cap with a black brim for no reason other than to sell merchandise. They didn't even bother to make the squatchee match the brim.

hp1dO7r.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

2 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

No, because that home vest uniform is still the best look they've ever worn. (It would have looked even nicer with gold drop shadows instead of black, though.)

The worst uses of black are still the 2000s A's and the 2003-2011 Marlins (I know black was one of their colors, but they still sucked at using it).

IJMlPIn.jpg

QMqaDyl.jpg

KxSXYY4.jpg

HGs0YsH.jpg

thFUERX.jpg

A dishonorable mention goes to the early-2000s Rangers, who often wore an alternate version of their regular cap with a black brim for no reason other than to sell merchandise. They didn't even bother to make the squatchee match the brim.

hp1dO7r.jpg

Agreed that the A's used black terribly. Didn't know about the Rangers' black bills which also look awful. I still think the Royals were the worst though. And while the Marlins used too much black at the expense of teal, they didn't look awful like the others. 

• Like 1

I don't get what was wrong with the Marlins 02-11 black alternates. Yeah they didn't use enough teal and it could be said they wore them too much but there was nothing wrong with them visually. They were quite nice. If anything, they're probably a really good example of how to use too much black and still look good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I'm actually inclined to agree, with San Jose. Nashville's uniform, in a vaccuum, might be better, as pictured. I really prefer the new identity, overall. They've gone from just a face in the crowd to a set that stands out more. The simplified logo looks better and I like that they've embraced the Music City identity, without going full-tilt with country music. They made an unorthodox choice to go with athletic gold as their primary, and it's been a huge hit, with the fans.

The current set could use a little tweaking (two shoulder logos, improve the striping, lose the Saturday gold helmets), but I like the overall feel better than the bland look we had before.

I can understand liking the current set more.  Going with athletic gold was definitely a good decision but I can't for the life of me get over that awful striping configuration with the piping that inexplicably intersects with hem stripes.  The updated logo doesn't really get a chance to shine on those uniforms because it feels suffocated by the piping and chest panels.

The striping configuration for the inaugural set, on the other hand, was a stroke of genius.  It managed to be creative without going over the top.  If Nashville was able to create an athletic gold sweater with something similar they'd really be onto something.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Morgo said:

I can understand liking the current set more.  Going with athletic gold was definitely a good decision but I can't for the life of me get over that awful striping configuration with the piping that inexplicably intersects with hem stripes.  The updated logo doesn't really get a chance to shine on those uniforms because it feels suffocated by the piping and chest panels.

The striping configuration for the inaugural set, on the other hand, was a stroke of genius.  It managed to be creative without going over the top.  If Nashville was able to create an athletic gold sweater with something similar they'd really be onto something.

Yeah, I think we're in agreement on that one. The fang effect just didn't execute well. I'm hoping they use the upcoming jersey change-over as an opportunity to hone the look in more.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

4 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I don't get what was wrong with the Marlins 02-11 black alternates. Yeah they didn't use enough teal and it could be said they wore them too much but there was nothing wrong with them visually. They were quite nice. If anything, they're probably a really good example of how to use too much black and still look good.

They look plain and incomplete. Like the letters are just blank. The letters should have been teal, not just because the jersey needed more teal, but because it would just look better.

5 hours ago, WavePunter said:

yeah, they've been a navy team with red logos and trim forever, then suddenly theyre an all red team with red logos and silver trim, with a tiny bit of navy accents.. they've established the red look by now, but for so long it felt so wrong..

They've won their only championship in their current unis so they probably won't be changing them anytime soon.  Superstition?  The Giants go to cream home unis and win three.  Hmm...

And yeah...I just can't see the A being any color other than red...at least on the official merchandise.

• Like 1

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

8 hours ago, daveindc said:

They look plain and incomplete. Like the letters are just blank. The letters should have been teal, not just because the jersey needed more teal, but because it would just look better.

I actually loved the silver letters. I did think the whole ensemble needed more teal but the silver script looked great.

• Like 2