Unpopular Opinions

On November 16, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Image result for 1981 cincinnati bengals

These uniforms suck. The jerseys are too generic and the striping looks like orange duct tape with tiger stripes. It's an overall outdated set that should stay in the past.

If I knew what your face looked like, and saw you in public, I would punch you in the throat.( kidding of course)

Those were my favorite uniforms of all time.

• Like 5

Since the Quebec Nordiques may yet be a few years away (if at all, thank you very much NHL BoG and Gary Bettman), I've done some digging up of their aesthetic history. While I'm perfectly fine with their iconic NHL look and would love to see it come back when (or if) the NHL returns to Quebec, there's something that just seems, i dunno, a tad off--namely, the lack of red. After seeing some of their WHA looks, from their initial, 1972-73 Light Blue/Red jerseys:

yves_bergeron_quebec_nordiques_wha_hocke

to their darker blue mid-1970s uniforms:

WHA-Quebec-Nordiques-Hoganson-Tardif.jpg

I've come to the conclusion that the Nordiques could've looked even better with a sprinkle more of red. First of all, if the NHL ever returns to QC, the inaugural 1972 powder blue/red uniform (the first picture posted) needs to make a comeback as an alternate/throwback/fauxback (perhaps with the shade of blue Quebec settled on when they entered the NHL). A lighter shade of blue uniform with red accents is something the NHL needs badly. (However, I'm not sure about its white counterpart, as that uniform does have a bit too much red.)

As for the regular set? Something along the lines like this:

BastianSchmA%25CC%258Alling-QUE.png

but with the red outline on the numerals that the Nordiques actually wore, thin red stripes flanking both sides of the large white pants stripe, and of course the fleur-de-lises on the back. (Image yoinked from Hockey Jersey Concepts.)

So basically? This might be perhaps one the most unexpected cases of "getting it right the first (couple) time(s)," as I'd love to get my hands on a replica 1972 Nordiques jersey. Don't get me wrong, I think the Nordiques' NHL uniforms are some of the best to ever grace NHL ice, but adding that little bit of red would've made it nigh untouchable.

Edited by DustDevil61
  • Like 4

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, if you had that width of yellow outline on the Agency numbers and a yellow facemask, it'd be a perfect update for today.

I could live with those jerseys with the Seau-era numbers. I just really hate when yellow and white touch on jerseys. The colors bleed together. 

I'm in the boat that says more color combos and uniform choices is good. It's more money in the teams' pockets, and if done right can give a really cool and uniquely defined identity to a team. Some combos don't work and shouldn't be used (ex. just because a team has a white helmet, red jersey and black pants doesn't mean they should be used together ... or, for instance, the Reds don't need to bust out a black jersey just because black is used in their logo), but I'm a firm believer in "more is more" when it comes to teams' identities (ex. Colorado football in 2015, with 4 helmets, 4 jerseys and 4 pants making it work).

I'm also a fan of the concept of Color Rush uniforms but the execution on some of them (Miami, Chicago) is either lazy or unappealing.

• Like 1

MK8_Iggy.pngMK8_Lemmy.pngMK8_Ludwig.pngMK8_Morton.png

broncos-hand-rogers-packers-first-loss-o

The Broncos navy/white set is their best combo, and should still be their primary home uniforms. There's enough orange on the set to differentiate them from the Bears, they're paired with Superbowl success (at least this uniform style), and they've outlasted all of their imitators (on the NFL, college, and high school levels) to the point where they've become modern classics. Their "dated-ness" has given them a kind of character, one absent in the "Orange Crush" uniforms.

It's also a great example of how to achieve a modern football look, with only two "gimmicks" (the swoosh panels and the helmet stripe), a powerful logo, and a legible proprietary font. Other modern looks try to cram too many gimmicks into their uniforms (i.e. the Titans' mixed stripe styles and weird font, the Browns' semi-illegible numbers and the pants, just about everything on the Buccaneers' uniforms, and the Jaguars' stripes and helmet), while the Broncos keep things relatively simple. That's why they've endured for so long, and that's why I think it'd be bad if they went back to the "Orange Crush" uniforms and logos with minimal modernizations.

• Like 11

Not a fan of numbers on the shoulders of NHL uniforms.  With the Oilers, it at least makes sense because it's a throwback but on the Panther's it just looks weird.  Those uniforms would be significantly improved if the numbers were on the sleeves and the flag badges were on the shoulders.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Red piping? I didn't think the Redskins had any piping at all. Can you show me a pic of what you mean?

I meant stripes which were burgundy and athletic gold (Pardee's creations from 1979) can be used on the Houston Texans. I will have to show you what I mean,

I am referring to RedmondOrbit's version of his Texans. The helmet should be deep steel blue, but the piping or stripes need to stop at the sleeves, but see how it works nearly like the Redskins?

Image result for Houston Texans concept uniforms

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

I meant stripes which were burgundy and athletic gold (Pardee's creations from 1979) can be used on the Houston Texans. I will have to show you what I mean,

I am referring to RedmondOrbit's version of his Texans. The helmet should be deep steel blue, but the piping or stripes need to stop at the sleeves, but see how it works nearly like the Redskins?

Image result for Houston Texans concept uniforms

Very nice, I like. Actually like the white helmet too.

• Like 1

I think they should have built off their third (as much as I rag on teams building off their thirds). I thought red helmets and pants with black sweaters and socks was an interesting spin on a well-worn color scheme, plus you had the beige to break it up. They were simple but modern at the same time, which works, because a Phoenix NHL team needs no pretense of timelessness. What they have now is...I dunno, it just is.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Dallas Cowboys have one of the best looks in all of football when they wear their navy jerseys and proper silver pants.

I always wonder what silver numbers with white outlines would look like. With that, the numbers would match the pants colors and the shoulder stripes.

6 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Then I'll counter it by saying that the claw-ball is much superior. :)

Here, I'll throw down a truly unpopular opinion:

I would love for the Raptors to completely ditch their identity forged around the Jurassic Park craze and instead adopt the excellent "Toronto Huskies" moniker.

Short of that super-unrealistic scenario, just design a whole new logo and visual identity, because they've never had a good one in their entire 20-year history.

• Like 3