Unpopular Opinions

Some of my opinions re: logos:

1. I HATE the multi-uniform trend in college football.  I applaud what Craig Bohl did at Wyoming by ditching the 100 combinations and going with a simple road, simple home.  The regular Wyoming helmet has always been one of my favorites, and I'm glad to see it every week now.  I wish more colleges would do this -- home and road, one helmet, that's it.  If you want one special helmet to use once in a while, that's about my limit.  

2. I also am not really a fan of the matte/satin look on helmets - prefer shiny/metallic.  The matte/satin look can work in a handful of cases, but it's overused.  

3. I dislike "statement" helmets, even for things I support like troops, etc.  It's hard to criticize, but if you want to support the groups, wear a patch or wristband.

4. I don't like "large" logos on helmets - like the Bucs, Boise State, Western michigan, etc, etc.  Go back to normal sized logos.

Specific Logos I liked that some others didn't:

- Islanders fisherman uniform, though I like the regular one too.

- Some of the 90's NBA unis, like the Suns.  So much better than what they have now.

- Old Sac/KC Kings logo/colors.

- Love the New Orleans Pelicans, both the logo and the name.  More names like that please!

- Friendly logos vs. mean logos

Specific Logos/uniforms/etc I don't like:

- Seattle's current helmets.  I prefer the silver ones from the 80's and 90's.

- the NY Jets current helmet.  I prefer the green 80's version

- Silver and black with the LA Kings

- the Thunder as the mascot for Oklahoma City.

- Memphis Grizzlies.  There are not Grizzlies in Memphis, and I don't like the logo.  

- 90% of soccer logos are horrible.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 4Mizzou said:

1. I HATE the multi-uniform trend in college football.  I applaud what Craig Bohl did at Wyoming by ditching the 100 combinations and going with a simple road, simple home.  The regular Wyoming helmet has always been one of my favorites, and I'm glad to see it every week now.  I wish more colleges would do this -- home and road, one helmet, that's it.  If you want one special helmet to use once in a while, that's about my limit.  

2. I also am not really a fan of the matte/satin look on helmets - prefer shiny/metallic.  The matte/satin look can work in a handful of cases, but it's overused.  

3. I dislike "statement" helmets, even for things I support like troops, etc.  It's hard to criticize, but if you want to support the groups, wear a patch or wristband.

4. I don't like "large" logos on helmets - like the Bucs, Boise State, Western michigan, etc, etc.  Go back to normal sized logos.

- Some of the 90's NBA unis, like the Suns.  So much better than what they have now.

- Love the New Orleans Pelicans, both the logo and the name.  More names like that please!

- Memphis Grizzlies.  There are not Grizzlies in Memphis, and I don't like the logo.  

I don't agree with all of what you just said, but I agree with you enough that you get one like, sir or or madam.

6 hours ago, 4Mizzou said:

Also, you seem fairly new, so welcome!

Some unpopular baseball opinions:

-Colored alternate uniforms are great.  The more the merrier.

-The Tigers and Yankees home uniforms are beyond boring.

-The Brewers navy & yellow set looks great.

-Teams with 2 different identities/color schemes (Brewers, Mariners, Diamondbacks, Padres) are smart.  All about that $$.

-The Mets should not wear pinstripes.

12 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Then I'll counter it by saying that the claw-ball is much superior. :)

Claw-ball rules, I love the Raptors current identity.

But Huskies would be a much better identity.

• Like 2

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Not sure how popular this is or isn't, but my preference for the various Padres schemes I've seen mentioned on here (or IRL):

1T. Brown and orange

1T. Brown and orangeish-yellow

3. Blue and orange

4. Brown and white

5. Brown and yellow

6. Blue and white

7. Blue and yellow

Not sure where the trio of brown-orange-yellow would go. As an Ohio State fan and alum, I've had a hatred of navy-and-yellow beaten into my head since childhood.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

The Browns current uniform set isn't as bad as people think.

I agree but I think a few tweaks would go a long way for them. I would make the CLEVELAND font smaller on the chest and shorten the stripe on the sleeves. I think the pants are fine. Hated them at first glance but I think that's the least of their issues imo. They also should use the bulldog logo way more. Love that little guy!

On 11/24/2016 at 7:24 PM, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I always wonder what silver numbers with white outlines would look like. With that, the numbers would match the pants colors and the shoulder stripes.

I don't watch or follow the NFL so I don't know if this is unpopular or not but I saw a bit of the Cowboys on Thanksgiving and I spent the time trying to figure out if the numbers were white or silver. Eventually I settled on white but my mind wouldn't let me accept that. Why don't they have silver numbers with a white outline? Wouldn't that match better with the helmet and the pants? What's the point of the white outline on white numbers? So yeah, count me in on the Cowboys needing silver numbers.

21 hours ago, kevinmets said:

-Colored alternate uniforms are great.  The more the merrier.

-The Tigers and Yankees home uniforms are beyond boring.

-The Brewers navy & yellow set looks great.

-Teams with 2 different identities/color schemes (Brewers, Mariners, Diamondbacks, Padres) are smart.  All about that $$.

-The Mets should not wear pinstripes.

Wow. I would love to have you elaborate on these. It's not often one person can agree on all of those opinions at once. I'm genuinely curious.

20 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Not sure how popular this is or isn't, but my preference for the various Padres schemes I've seen mentioned on here (or IRL):

1T. Brown and orange

1T. Brown and orangeish-yellow

3. Blue and orange

4. Brown and white

5. Brown and yellow

6. Blue and white

7. Blue and yellow

Not sure where the trio of brown-orange-yellow would go. As an Ohio State fan and alum, I've had a hatred of navy-and-yellow beaten into my head since childhood.

I am pretty close to you on this.

Brown and orange is my clear #1.  Without messing with the colors you've chosen (i.e., not sure where you came up with Brown and White),  I'll stick with you on "Brown and orangeish-yellow" as my #2

1. Brown and orange (Yes...those colors looked so, so good against a gray background on the road jersey)
  2. Brown and orangeish-yellow (Not quite sure where you are going but "oranging up" the yellow may mitigate what I don't like about the yellow)
  3. Brown and yellow (Don't love the scheme  I just don't think yellow looks great with brown. But if they go brown, yellow will be the other color.  And the Padres will be the "brown team" and have their identity back.
  4. Blue and yellow (I moved this up because nobody really has this color scheme now.  The Brewers and Mariners have history but there's no way Seattle goes back and I kinda doubt the Brewers will too.  Great color schemes like this are dying.  While I want the Padres to embrace brown, this did look good on that temporary home jersey and would add a nice color scheme to MLB.  I'd take it if offered. 
  5. Brown and white. Intriguing.  It would nicely combine the team's clear love of being boring with the preference of some (how many?) fans for brown. They'd still be the "brown" team so I'd take it.
  6. Blue and orange.  In a vacuum, this was a decent identity.  But two other teams use the color scheme.
  7. Blue and white.  I'm sick of them seemingly trying to be forgotten.  

(I suppose "blue and sand" is an option you missed.  I'd probably slide it right before blue and orange)

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

22 hours ago, kevinmets said:

1. -Colored alternate uniforms are great.  The more the merrier.
  2. -The Tigers and Yankees home uniforms are beyond boring.
  3. -The Brewers navy & yellow set looks great.
  4. -Teams with 2 different identities/color schemes (Brewers, Mariners, Diamondbacks, Padres) are smart.  All about that $$.
  5. -The Mets should not wear pinstripes.

These are some wildly unpopular opinions.  You have clearly met the intent of this topic.

My comments:

1. This is not totally unpopular.  I think there is a place for colored alternates over a 162-game season but they should 1) be worn less frequently, 2) be limited to one team in a given game, and 3) go away for the post-season.  I think my opinion would be closer to popular than yours, but a lot of people are with you on this one.
  2. Very unpopular.  My take is that these are beautiful classics.  I suspect I am the "popular" one.
  3. I think people like the royal/yellow.
  4. You are right that it's about the money and therefore you are right that these teams are "smart" (you can add the Twins to that; though their colors/cap don't change, their throwback home jersey sells nicely).  But if your opinion (as I infer) is that this is a good thing, than, yes; it's unpopular.  Teams, in my opinion, should have one clear cut identity.  They should not blur that.  The Brewers are particularly guilty of this.
  5. Fairly unpopular.  I like the pinstripes, though I would live if they dropped them.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

5 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I think teams can have different or modified color schemes home and away and still have one clear identity. Like the St Louis Cardinals when they would wear navy caps on the road, or the Tigers only using orange on the road. Consistency goes a long way in this I think.

The navy-capped Cardinals still had red in their color scheme, and I agree that they look better than the red-capped away set.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I am pretty close to you on this.

Brown and orange is my clear #1.  Without messing with the colors you've chosen (i.e., not sure where you came up with Brown and White),  I'll stick with you on "Brown and orangeish-yellow" as my #2

1. Brown and orange (Yes...those colors looked so, so good against a gray background on the road jersey)
  2. Brown and orangeish-yellow (Not quite sure where you are going but "oranging up" the yellow may mitigate what I don't like about the yellow)
  3. Brown and yellow (Don't love the scheme  I just don't think yellow looks great with brown. But if they go brown, yellow will be the other color.  And the Padres will be the "brown team" and have their identity back.
  4. Blue and yellow (I moved this up because nobody really has this color scheme now.  The Brewers and Mariners have history but there's no way Seattle goes back and I kinda doubt the Brewers will too.  Great color schemes like this are dying.  While I want the Padres to embrace brown, this did look good on that temporary home jersey and would add a nice color scheme to MLB.  I'd take it if offered. 
  5. Brown and white. Intriguing.  It would nicely combine the team's clear love of being boring with the preference of some (how many?) fans for brown. They'd still be the "brown" team so I'd take it.
  6. Blue and orange.  In a vacuum, this was a decent identity.  But two other teams use the color scheme.
  7. Blue and white.  I'm sick of them seemingly trying to be forgotten.  

(I suppose "blue and sand" is an option you missed.  I'd probably slide it right before blue and orange)

I feel like sand could potentially go with any other color. Even though in reality it only went with blue. I've seen it mocked up with brown, though, and it wasn't awful.

Brown and white was a speculation on these boards for 2017 before they released the boring stuff. 

Brown and orange-yellow was a combo used in a recent MLB Color Rush thread in the Concepts section. Orange-yellow shirt and pants with brown lettering and brown cap. Looked great even though I had been hoping for a brown uni.

I actually thought the '98 Padres team that went to the World Series looked really good.

Though I believe there may be exceptions, my feelings about the team strongly influence whether I like the jersey/logo or not. Teams I hate can not have a jersey/logo I like, I just don't allow it. Likewise (with the main exception of the black Huskies unis) if I like the team, they generally cannot come up with something I don't like.

10 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

Though I believe there may be exceptions, my feelings about the team strongly influence whether I like the jersey/logo or not. Teams I hate can not have a jersey/logo I like, I just don't allow it. Likewise (with the main exception of the black Huskies unis) if I like the team, they generally cannot come up with something I don't like.

How's this for unpopular? When I first saw U-Dub wear black football uniforms in 2010 or so, I actually kind of liked them, and they have become one of the few BFBS sets I enjoy. (I probably still like them better in purple, though.)