Unpopular Opinions

3 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

I'm surprised this is unpopular actually, but I hate the orioles cartoon bird hat. It's gimmicky and amateurish to me. They should be using the realistic bird and/or a B monogram on their caps.

I could not agree more.  I know their successes comes with that logo but on its own merit, it seems far more conducive to a minor league team.

I love the 1991 (or so) standing bird.  

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I would be totally cool with the NHL dropping the requirement for NOB's, especially for Original Six teams. It could really help teams with traditional aesthetics evoke an additional vintage style. I'd advocate for teams to try it out during an outdoor game, be it the Winter Classic or Heritage Classic.

Besides, they're not as important as TV numbers (pre-empting a @hockey week reminder on the importance of TV numbers for sportscasters).

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The Jaguars in all black look pretty good, especially in the December sun.  Never thought I'd say that.

I'm not a fan of monochrome looks (except all white) but I really like the Jags black jersey with white pants combo. I guess that's half an unpopular opinion. 

• Like 3

BB52Big.jpg

On 12/10/2016 at 11:34 AM, DNAsports said:

I actually really like the Minnesota Wild identity. Easily the best "singular" named sports team beating out Miami Heat, Utah Jazz, Oklahoma City Thunder, Tampa Bay Lightning, Chicago Fire.

I think the Wild look good too (at least they have a unique color scheme and own it!), but aren't you forgetting about the Magic?

10 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

I'm surprised this is unpopular actually, but I hate the orioles cartoon bird hat. It's gimmicky and amateurish to me. They should be using the realistic bird and/or a B monogram on their caps.

I don't like it as the primary cap insignia, but I like it enough to stay in their set... maybe as an alternate logo. Make the "O's" the primary insignia, and I'm all good.

7 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I would be totally cool with the NHL dropping the requirement for NOB's, especially for Original Six teams. It could really help teams with traditional aesthetics evoke an additional vintage style. I'd advocate for teams to try it out during an outdoor game, be it the Winter Classic or Heritage Classic.

Besides, they're not as important as TV numbers (pre-empting a @hockey week reminder on the importance of TV numbers for sportscasters).

I'm glad I'm getting a bit of a reputation around here lol. Look, they're important! :D

5 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I'm not a fan of monochrome looks (except all white) but I really like the Jags black jersey with white pants combo. I guess that's half an unpopular opinion. 

Me too. I'm actually not a big fan of monochrome white, with rare exceptions I think it looks odd (I have to say the Colts are probably the biggest exception). So I'll join you on that one.

• Like 1

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

38 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I don't like it as the primary cap insignia, but I like it enough to stay in their set... maybe as an alternate logo. Make the "O's" the primary insignia, and I'm all good.

The O's logo isn't all that great either if you ask me but I do agree that cartoon bird logo could have a place in the the Orioles' look but maybe as a sleeve patch or something since that tends to be a place where teams put their more unique logos

• Like 2

I LOVE Wisconsin's "motion W". It's iconic, instantly recognizable, and a strong mark in my opinion (and precisely why I never ever mixed them up with Nebraska in football).

I also absolutely love how it looks on a football helmet:

IMG_5483.JPG

I'm a sucker for logos that mesh with helmet top contours, a la the 90's-00's Jaguars. It doesn't line up absolutely perfectly of course, but it's close enough that it looks really sleek to me. One of my favorite helmets in the nation.

• Like 7

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

The Nationals should have stuck with their "monumental" uniforms from the 2005 inaugural season in Washington. They should have dumped the "curly W" early on rather than quadrupling down on it in 2010. The never-worn "block W" prototype referenced in this Uni Watch entry would have been a fantastic mark to center the uniforms around, especially with the strong primary logo from 2005-2010.

4883724809_b261cb0368_o.jpg

8066269765159.560d9a506512d.jpg

• Like 4

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

22 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I LOVE Wisconsin's "motion W". It's iconic, instantly recognizable, and a strong mark in my opinion (and precisely why I never ever mixed them up with Nebraska in football).

I also absolutely love how it looks on a football helmet:

IMG_5483.JPG

I'm a sucker for logos that mesh with helmet top contours, a la the 90's-00's Jaguars. It doesn't line up absolutely perfectly of course, but it's close enough that it looks really sleek to me. One of my favorite helmets in the nation.

The motion W would look so much better without the drop shadow.  I've always liked Wisconsin's unis when they look like a darker red, too, rather than the stock bright scarlet (the darker red look is due to lighting and shadows, not actual material differences). 

• Like 4

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

29 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The motion W would look so much better without the drop shadow.  I've always liked Wisconsin's unis when they look like a darker red, too, rather than the stock bright scarlet (the darker red look is due to lighting and shadows, not actual material differences). 

To be honest, I'd love it just as much with your propositions! I do love it all just as it is now, but I think those changes would look really great also. Dropping the shadow would still maintain the idea and concept, which is honestly the thing I love about it most rather than its specific composition.

• Like 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

4 hours ago, DeFrank said:

The Nationals should have stuck with their "monumental" uniforms from the 2005 inaugural season in Washington. They should have dumped the "curly W" early on rather than quadrupling down on it in 2010. The never-worn "block W" prototype referenced in this Uni Watch entry would have been a fantastic mark to center the uniforms around, especially with the strong primary logo from 2005-2010.

8066269765159.560d9a506512d.jpg

I'll agree with this, but I wouldn't go with that W logo. I would have committed to the DC logo as the team's only cap/helmet mark. Get kind of a Twins/TC vibe going. 

That, and their locale has officially been known as "District of Columbia" rather than "Washington" since the 19th century.

• Like 4

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 1:08 PM, DeFrank said:

Idk, I think the loopy W is the only interesting thing about the Nationals' identity. Everything else seems like it was put through a standardized DC aesthetic generator

• Like 1