Jump to content

Unpopular Opinions


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, C-Squared said:

 

The obvious middle ground (to me, anyway) is a primary uniform with classic stripes, a lace-up neck, and the old alternate logo filtered through the classic colors:

 

35d6liq.jpg

 

...and, for the shoulders, a slightly modernized & isolated version of the Buffalo from the classic logo:

 

hqdefault.jpg

 

...and a yellow alternate DONE RIGHT!

 

I really don't see the need for a compromise. The classic Sabres set as-is would still work, given the traditional nature of Buffalo hockey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

Those were terrible, at least for Buffalo. I might not have minded the template for some expansion team, but Buffalo should look traditional. It's a traditional place.

 

UNPOPULAR OPINION: bring back NHL refs in neckties under v-neck sweaters!

 

1992NHLAll-StarGamereferee.png1991-92NHLthrowbackrefereesweaters.jpg
2004NHLAll-StarRefereesweaters.jpgBillChadwickcreamsweater.jpg

 

Not just because there's something humorously genteel about it, but also because it would give each of the four leagues a distinct visual identity for its officials. Football refs would have the zebra stripes, umpires would, well, look like umpires, NHL refs would have ties and v-necks, and NBA refs would have those ugly grey shirts.

I never knew they they did this, but looks fantastic and needs to return. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

a bit of a hometown thing. I think these:

https://nflseahawks.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/091117favre450.jpg

were not that bad. a bit dated sure but, not as terrible as say the bills 2000s rebrand or the cardinals rebrand

Well, yeah. The Vikings can't look horrible as long as they wear purple and yellow and have the horn that wraps around their helmet. That was still a huge downgrade from the Cris Carter-era set, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still think that's the Vikings' best look - when it was worn properly, of course. The monochrome combos they couldn't stop wearing messed up the pants design, which was supposed to flow into the jersey striping. But when worn purple-over-white and white-over-purple, it was sheer perfection. I really liked the horn-insipired contours of the shoulder stripes.

 

GPWYeNo.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

How about you run across a busy expressway?

Nah, don't have time for that, i am too busy collecting baseball and hockey jerseys, and talking about logos and uniforms, it's a great hobby. You should try either of those things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Teams should change uniforms every ~15 years or so.

 

Not every team can be the Yankees or Packers and styles change so teams should be open to it. They should keep the same basic design elements but also change with the times. Ideally, this means different era of teams will have their own looks. One example is the Chargers, who have been blue and yellow and have had lightning bolts on the sleeves forever but their jerseys can be broken down into the Alworth era, the Fouts era, the Seau era and the Rivers era. And every jersey doesn't have to be perfect, as nostalgia will do the perfecting for them a decade or so later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Thomas said:

Nah, don't have time for that, i am too busy collecting baseball and hockey jerseys, and talking about logos and uniforms, it's a great hobby. You should try either of those things.

 
 
 

 

You've been trying it over several accounts, and the mods wind up banning you for a variety of reasons, sometimes in spite of your precious VPN protecting your IP address. Remember:

 

TomTucker

Rays

Angels

JasonFromMiami

Almighty

That one account where you posted Leviticus 18:22 in response to the SCOTUS gay marriage thread

...and a few I'm forgetting at the moment.

 

Go back to 8chan.

 

20 hours ago, C-Squared said:

 

The obvious middle ground (to me, anyway) is a primary uniform with classic stripes, a lace-up neck, and the old alternate logo filtered through the classic colors:

 

35d6liq.jpg

 

...and, for the shoulders, a slightly modernized & isolated version of the Buffalo from the classic logo:

 

hqdefault.jpg

 

...and a yellow alternate DONE RIGHT!

 

 
 
 

 

Quite frankly, they don't even need the Buffalo. The "sword-B" logo would work well on the shoulders, tying in perfectly to that royal/yellow/silver crest.

 

Unpopular opinion, the Sabres are a Buffalo team that can get away with not using a buffalo in their logos.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I really don't see the need for a compromise. The classic Sabres set as-is would still work, given the traditional nature of Buffalo hockey.

 

I tend to look at uni designs through manufacturer eyes since that has the biggest impact on these types of decisions. It makes no sense absorbing a profitable throwback market like that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, C-Squared said:

I tend to look at uni designs through manufacturer eyes since that has the biggest impact on these types of decisions. It makes no sense absorbing a profitable throwback market like that

You're probably right. 

I'm just saying what I think would look best. 

Buffalo is a traditional hockey market, and doesn't need a recolour of a logo designed in the late 90s/early 2000s, and complete with all the negatives a logo like that would have.

Unnecessary silver, too many outlines, too much shading. It looks more dated than the Sabres' classic mark, which looks way more contemporary thanks to the current design trend of emphasising simplicity over detail. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2016 at 4:15 PM, C-Squared said:

 

The obvious middle ground (to me, anyway) is a primary uniform with classic stripes, a lace-up neck, and the old alternate logo filtered through the classic colors:

 

35d6liq.jpg

 

...and, for the shoulders, a slightly modernized & isolated version of the Buffalo from the classic logo:

 

hqdefault.jpg

 

...and a yellow alternate DONE RIGHT!

 

Anything you're doing to supplant the classic logo is a misguided start. That old alt logo was interesting, but it felt and feels empty. I bought my wife one a million years ago, and the result of that logo in real life is that there's a lot of empty space. You're staring at a sea of black (or blue, in this case) twill where the buffalo should be. There's no need to slice and dice a great logo into its constituent parts; you end up with less than what you started with. The Gestalt theory of logo design.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Anything you're doing to supplant the classic logo is a misguided start. That old alt logo was interesting, but it felt and feels empty. I bought my wife one a million years ago, and the result of that logo in real life is that there's a lot of empty space. You're staring at a sea of black (or blue, in this case) twill where the buffalo should be. There's no need to slice and dice a great logo into its constituent parts; you end up with less than what you started with. The Gestalt theory of logo design.

 

I would argue the enlarged swords specifically addressed that issue and that a minor ticking up of those swords would negate the empty feeling... and unpopular opinion, indeed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And really...the Sabres have been whiffing on what should be a no-brainer since they decided to drop the 90s look.

"Hmmm our fans really want the old look back...I know! We'll change the royal to navy, add silver, and use a stylised buffalo logo! Sure it's not what the fans want, but it's close sort of, and it's better!"
 

a few embarrassing seasons later...

 

"Ok...so we've been ridiculed by everyone and their mother over the whole Buffaslug thing, and fans still want the old look back...I know! We'll bring the old look back but change the royal to navy and add silver to everything! Sure, it's not what the fans want, but the silver and darker colours will make it the uniform of the future!"

 

And then Sabres fans just sort of grumbled and accepted it, because after the Buffaslug they were ready to take "close enough."

Point being that the Sabres fans seem to want the classic look back, but the team keeps missing the point when they try to accommodate them. They either need to just stop screwing with things and keep the current close but no cigar look, or just commit to the old uniforms fully. Enough trying to do the old look half- :censored: ed. That's what got us into this mess in the first place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

And really...the Sabres have been whiffing on what should be a no-brainer since they decided to drop the 90s look.

"Hmmm our fans really want the old look back...I know! We'll change the royal to navy, add silver, and use a stylised buffalo logo! Sure it's not what the fans want, but it's close sort of, and it's better!"
 

a few embarrassing seasons later...

 

"Ok...so we've been ridiculed by everyone and their mother over the whole Buffaslug thing, and fans still want the old look back...I know! We'll bring the old look back but change the royal to navy and add silver to everything! Sure, it's not what the fans want, but the silver and darker colours will make it the uniform of the future!"

 

And then Sabres fans just sort of grumbled and accepted it, because after the Buffaslug they were ready to take "close enough."

Point being that the Sabres fans seem to want the classic look back, but the team keeps missing the point when they try to accommodate them. They either need to just stop screwing with things and keep the current close but no cigar look, or just commit to the old uniforms fully. Enough trying to do the old look half- :censored: ed. That's what got us into this mess in the first place.

Unpopular opinion, but I really like the navy and athletic gold... Unfortunately the silver grey, REALLY hurts the look. The home jersey looks ok, cause it's hard to see the silver, but the silver just looks like white on the road jersey, and messes up the striping pattern...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, C-Squared said:

 

I would argue the enlarged swords specifically addressed that issue and that a minor ticking up of those swords would negate the empty feeling... and unpopular opinion, indeed!

I mean... yeah... I see what they did there... It just didn't work. I think it's a fatal flaw of that logo. It's a "pregnant" emptiness. It's about as noticeable as cutting your ex's face out of a photo. Maybe stick a skyline in there and use it as a shoulder patch? I'm not sure there's a way to salvage it as a full time crest when you have such a beauty already sitting there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.