Unpopular Opinions

I like cream uniforms in MLB; I think colors actually pop a bit more.  However, I think only classic teams (read: pre-LCS) can pull it off correctly.  I'd LOVE to have a cream Dodgers alternate (without a NOB and any sleeve patches or piping) to be worn on Sundays.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

9 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

I actually like these variants of the lions uniforms. Was the addition of black unnecessary? Yes. But did it ruin the uniform? No. It was a solid look during a period where the lions were at their worst (believe it or not)

53067664.jpg

Although I'm glad they're dropping black, it does add some needed definition. I was never a huge fan of the lions older uniforms because the light blue and the gray never contrasted very well imo.

4 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

I like cream uniforms in MLB; I think colors actually pop a bit more.  However, I think only classic teams (read: pre-LCS) can pull it off correctly.  I'd LOVE to have a cream Dodgers alternate (without a NOB and any sleeve patches or piping) to be worn on Sundays.

I used to like cream MLB jerseys but now they just look like dirty, stained, old uniforms to me. I realized it last weekend when I saw someone wearing a cream Mets jersey for the first time since the Mets dropped it. My first reaction wasn't "Oooh what a beautiful cream colored jersey!"... my reaction was "Ewww, when was the last time that guy washed that jersey?" It's like my brain forgot the cream existed and my mind read it as being the white jersey but just stained. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

I actually like these variants of the lions uniforms. Was the addition of black unnecessary? Yes. But did it ruin the uniform? No. It was a solid look during a period where the lions were at their worst (believe it or not)

53067664.jpg

That set always looked to me like something I would have doodled with a Sharpie over the non-black Lions uni. 

8 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I used to like cream MLB jerseys but now they just look like dirty, stained, old uniforms to me. I realized it last weekend when I saw someone wearing a cream Mets jersey for the first time since the Mets dropped it. My first reaction wasn't "Oooh what a beautiful cream colored jersey!"... my reaction was "Ewww, when was the last time that guy washed that jersey?" It's like my brain forgot the cream existed and my mind read it as being the white jersey but just stained. 

That's the point: they're supposed to look vintage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rj0498 said:

These darker revamps of familiar looks, actually are kind of cool

1932808.jpg

72341426.jpg

I do like a lot of the darkened looks of the late '90s on their own, I just think that when so many teams did it, it really sucked some visual life out of the league. You had the Isles and Oilers going to navy blue, the Flyers ditching their signature orange in favor of the black uniforms, the Sharks started wearing their black alternates a lot more often at the expense of the teal unis, the Stars went from kelly green to a dark hunter green that was barely distinguishable from the black on their unis. Florida promoted their navy alternates to full -time road (then home) status instead of the bright red set, and the Flames were wearing that black uniform with the flaming horse head logo instead of red.

Really, I don't think any of those looks were bad on their own, but when they all replaced brighter, and in some cases, iconic looks, it kind of made the league a little dreary looking for a while. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

IMO only the Giants make cream work. I don't know... some about cream next to black and orange looks good. It makes me think of cream soda for some reason (and I've never even had cream soda!).

• Like 2

I think the Indians red block C hat works better with the cream alternate than the blue block C hat did. 

This just flows so well, especially with the red socks, belt, and undershirt. 

Image result for cleveland indians alternate jersey

This doesn't look bad, but something about that red hat makes the cream alternates pop more to me. 

Image result for cleveland indians 2008

• Like 2

T1oYViW.png

3 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

These darker revamps of familiar looks, actually are kind of cool

1932808.jpg

72341426.jpg

While I truly liked both looks a lot at the time, if I had a choice between one or the other ever staying, I'd have had the Islanders keep this darker set and let the Oilers take the course they've taken. The Oilers just look better AND right in the brighter colors and I liked the Islanders darker because 1) the orange trim really popped against that navy, and 2) it distanced a bit from the Rangers. Not that they've ever looked too similar, but it's always bugged me that for a long time and now again, the two NYC area teams were/are both royal blue.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

14 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

That's the point: they're supposed to look vintage.

Yeah but it's only vintage if we always recognize that team or that jersey as always being a cream color, such as the Giants. If it were a team that always wore white and they suddenly switched to cream it doesn't work the same. Were the Mets actually wearing cream in the 60's? 

16 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Yeah but it's only vintage if we always recognize that team or that jersey as always being a cream color, such as the Giants. If it were a team that always wore white and they suddenly switched to cream it doesn't work the same. Were the Mets actually wearing cream in the 60's? 

IMG_3260.JPG

IMG_3261.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

IMO only the Giants make cream work. I don't know... some about cream next to black and orange looks good. It makes me think of cream soda for some reason (and I've never even had cream soda!).

Phillies' alt really works well in cream too IMO. Also, if you've never had cream soda, you need to try it. A&W has a really good one. Delicious!

9 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

While I truly liked both looks a lot at the time, if I had a choice between one or the other ever staying, I'd have had the Islanders keep this darker set and let the Oilers take the course they've taken. The Oilers just look better AND right in the brighter colors and I liked the Islanders darker because 1) the orange trim really popped against that navy, and 2) it distanced a bit from the Rangers. Not that they've ever looked too similar, but it's always bugged me that for a long time and now again, the two NYC area teams were/are both royal blue.

That's funny...If I could choose one, I'd choose the Oilers.  I think it was a terrific update.  It separated them from the Islanders and was a unique scheme.  I definitely prefer this to their old/current look.  I do see your point on the orange "popping" but to me the Islanders dark blue is a push, whereas the Oilers is an upgrade.  

My liking darkening of blues is an unpopular opinion, I guess.  While I lament the movement away from vivid colors in general, I tend to be either neutral (current Sabres vs. Classic Sabres; Islanders) with darker blue or prefer it (Oilers).  I am sure there is some example where I don't prefer a darkened blue; but I cannot think of it off hand.  I think when paired with a vivid color (Orange, yellow, a brighter green) darker blue works better.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

11 hours ago, Bob5151 said:

I do like a lot of the darkened looks of the late '90s on their own, I just think that when so many teams did it, it really sucked some visual life out of the league. You had the Isles and Oilers going to navy blue, the Flyers ditching their signature orange in favor of the black uniforms, the Sharks started wearing their black alternates a lot more often at the expense of the teal unis, the Stars went from kelly green to a dark hunter green that was barely distinguishable from the black on their unis. Florida promoted their navy alternates to full -time road (then home) status instead of the bright red set, and the Flames were wearing that black uniform with the flaming horse head logo instead of red.

Really, I don't think any of those looks were bad on their own, but when they all replaced brighter, and in some cases, iconic looks, it kind of made the league a little dreary looking for a while. 

... plus Whalers, Sabres, Kings (late 80s), Capitals all going dark from brighter colors (green, royal, purple, red) to navy/black. It was truly an epidemic.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ark said:

I think if an NHL team wore white pants with white jerseys it would be a good, original look. 

GIVE ME A 

D

I
A
P
E
R
WHAT DOES THAT SPELL?!?!? DIAPER!!! 

LAStadiumSeries.jpg

washington-capitals-white-pants.jpg

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 minute ago, Ark said:

This is what I meant (MS Paint version)

Z3SC9Oq.png

Ahahahaha... I just read white pants would look good, and I just had to comment back...:lol:

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10