Unpopular Opinions

I'm a big fan of the low cut stirrup, also.

IMG_5933.JPG

It left a lot of room for stripes if you wanted them, didn't look nearly as tacky as the ugly high cut stirrups from the 80's-90's, and just has that classic, essential golden-age baseball look to it. DiMaggio, Musial, Williams, Greenberg...all those guys wore it. If I had my way, that look would be mandatory.

• Like 7

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I suppose this thread just turned into further evidence that everyone has their own opinion about how/if stirrups should be worn. :D 

That picture of the Cardinals from @FinsUp1214 shows how perfect those low-cut stirrups are. The striping possibilities are incredible and endless. I wish we could go back to the days of striped socks/stirrups that would become highly identifiable with a team:

CGWe7utWoAAqlwH.jpg

catcher-carlton-fisk-of-the-boston-red-s

portrait-of-puerto-ricanborn-baseball-pl

AlRosen_display_image.jpg?1314379725

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

I suppose this thread just turned into further evidence that everyone has their own opinion about how/if stirrups should be worn. :D 

That picture of the Cardinals from @FinsUp1214 shows how perfect those low-cut stirrups are. The striping possibilities are incredible and endless. I wish we could go back to the days of striped socks/stirrups that would become highly identifiable with a team:

CGWe7utWoAAqlwH.jpg

catcher-carlton-fisk-of-the-boston-red-s

portrait-of-puerto-ricanborn-baseball-pl

AlRosen_display_image.jpg?1314379725

That's part of why I'm a big advocate for socks being mandatory; as a uniform enthusiast, the designs of socks add something to a baseball uniform and gives it extra life. Those examples you used are perfect for what I mean (and some of the best socks in baseball history, among others). Each were intentionally designed to be part of the uniform and not a mere accessory; they were every bit as integral and essential to the team's identity as their caps were. Like the socks on a football uniform, it just completes and compliments everything in ways the uniform wouldn't be without them.

Sometimes the socks even make the difference for a uniform. Case in point (IMO), the current Cardinals. A good-but-sorta-plain uniform when worn with long pants, but when a player busts out those gorgeous striped stirrups? All of a sudden, the sorta-plainness of the jersey has something of great substance to compliment it. It gains a spark. It looks complete and the sorta-plainness even looks complimentary itself to the stripes. Nothing's "missing" anymore. 

Or maybe in the cases on solid color socks/stirrups, that extra block of color on the bottom provides great balance and makes a great uniform even better. Big block of color coming from the cap, white or grey on the jersey and pants, big block of color on the socks. It's a great symmetrical and balanced look that certainly benefits even already-great looks like the Yankees, Tigers, Dodgers, etc.

Long pants don't look terrible in my opinion, and they certainly don't ruin a uniform. But baseball uniforms really lost something - indeed, a very valuable design element - when socks/stirrups became less of a thing.

• Like 6

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

17 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

That's part of why I'm a big advocate for socks being mandatory; as a uniform enthusiast, the designs of socks add something to a baseball uniform and gives it extra life. Those examples you used are perfect for what I mean (and some of the best socks in baseball history, among others). Each were intentionally designed to be part of the uniform and not a mere accessory; they were every bit as integral and essential to the team's identity as their caps were. Like the socks on a football uniform, it just completes and compliments everything in ways the uniform wouldn't be without them.

Sometimes the socks even make the difference for a uniform. Case in point (IMO), the current Cardinals. A good-but-sorta-plain uniform when worn with long pants, but when a player busts out those gorgeous striped stirrups? All of a sudden, the sorta-plainness of the jersey has something of great substance to compliment it. It gains a spark. It looks complete and the sorta-plainness even looks complimentary itself to the stripes. Nothing's "missing" anymore. 

Or maybe in the cases on solid color socks/stirrups, that extra block of color on the bottom provides great balance and makes a great uniform even better. Big block of color coming from the cap, white or grey on the jersey and pants, big block of color on the socks. It's a great symmetrical and balanced look that certainly benefits even already-great looks like the Yankees, Tigers, Dodgers, etc.

Long pants don't look terrible in my opinion, and they certainly don't ruin a uniform. But baseball uniforms really lost something - indeed, a very valuable design element - when socks/stirrups became less of a thing.

I couldn't agree more. And FWIW, baseball uniforms are meant to be worn with high socks, and always were up until the 90s. Socks provide color balance to a uniform that long pants fail to do.

A baseball uniform generally looks best when the color of the cap matches the socks, and when the jersey and pants are either white or gray. The color balance of color-white-white-color is perfect. Even with alts, socks provide a much needed color balance, sandwiching the white (or gray) pants in between two blocks of color.

Combine that with the unflattering bagginess and sloppiness that is so common with long pants nowadays (the proverbial 'pajama pants'), and uniforms really did lose a lot when long pants became commonplace.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I'm a big fan of the low cut stirrup, also.

IMG_5933.JPG

It left a lot of room for stripes if you wanted them, didn't look nearly as tacky as the ugly high cut stirrups from the 80's-90's, and just has that classic, essential golden-age baseball look to it. DiMaggio, Musial, Williams, Greenberg...all those guys wore it. If I had my way, that look would be mandatory.

It's funny, they all look old.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kroywen said:

baseball uniforms are meant to be worn with high socks

I agree with this on every team but the Yankees. They're the only team that shouldn't wear high socks. Soriano and A-Rod the only Yankees of recent vintage I can think of who did, and something about it looked off. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

I agree with this on every team but the Yankees. They're the only team that shouldn't wear high socks. Soriano and A-Rod the only Yankees of recent vintage I can think of who did, and something about it looked off. 

The Yankees, up until the late 2000s, had very few players who wore high socks (much to my dismay). Then, around 2009 or so, they became much more common in the Bronx again - guys like Damon, Gardner, Robertson, Granderson, occasionally Swisher. 

I will say that long pants with pinstripes do tend to look better than long 'snow white' pants, but I absolutely love the look of the Yankees' uniform with high socks. 

134029919_crop_north.jpg?1333436652&w=63

2 hours ago, kroywen said:

The Yankees, up until the late 2000s, had very few players who wore high socks (much to my dismay). Then, around 2009 or so, they became much more common in the Bronx again - guys like Damon, Gardner, Robertson, Granderson, occasionally Swisher. 

I will say that long pants with pinstripes do tend to look better than long 'snow white' pants, but I absolutely love the look of the Yankees' uniform with high socks. 

134029919_crop_north.jpg?1333436652&w=63

I always thought El Duque looked so cool:

rangers-yankees.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

10 hours ago, Bmac said:

My unpopular opinion? I love high top baseball cleats.11-Barry-Larkin.jpg

But, I will only accept the long socks look. I'm in the camp that feels baseball socks should always be visible.

Not sure high top cleats and high socks would really go together well, though. Not sure any player has ever really combined the two - I think almost every player who wore high cuff cleats also worse relatively low cut pants.

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

Not sure high top cleats and high socks would really go together well, though. Not sure any player has ever really combined the two - I think almost every player who wore high cuff cleats also worse relatively low cut pants.

This may be as close as you get.  Buckner had bad ankles, so the high tops provided some extra support.

buckner-bill-1986-world-series-allsport-

• Like 1

In relation to the Cubs, I like it when World Series winners wear gold-trimmed uniforms when they raise their pennants.  Having a jersey that's worn less than three times a season (and often once) is cool with me.  I honestly wouldn't mind seeing something similar in the other leagues.

Even as a Dodgers fan I have to admit those Giants jerseys were nice, especially this one.

IMG_3294.JPG

• Like 2

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png